My HTC Repair Vent

colalounge

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I called HTC today to check on the repair of my phone. My volume rocker was dented and I sent it in to be repaired. No other problem existed with the phone and though it was dented, the volume rocker worked flawlessly.

So, in calling in I discover that if HTC quotes me a price, I pay it and they fix my phone- it is not actually my phone that I will be getting back. Instead, the phone will be fixed, I will get a refurbished phone that may have been sent in with all sorts of problems, and that my fixed phone will also one day be sent to someone else.

This floored me. The customer service agent said this was the “plan” I chose and that they could cancel out my repair and instead go with the option I thought I was getting in the first place which is I pay for my repair, or not if they are feeling particularly nice, and that I get my OWN phone back. This option would of course take a few extra days, blah, blah, blah.

In all, I was floored to find out that paying for the repair of my phone didn’t mean it would be my repaired phone I would get back. I went back and re-read the notice I agreed to and indeed, in shifty language, it says that once you agree to pay for the phone if will be serviced and a REPLACEMENT phone sent to you.

This is what happens if you choose to pay $19 for expedited shipping to and from HTC. You would think you’d get better service but apparently not.

(I JUST NEEDEED TO VENT. DON’T JUDGE ME)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Frustrating. For what it's worth, I've found that refurbished replacement units often work just as fine, if not better, than the original unit I had to send in. But yes, it would've been nice for their description to be clearer.

colalounge

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
They have sent out the replacement already, even though I requested my own phone back. I guess my request was too late. Still, they said if the phone sucks I can send it back and get my original one. The only good thing is that there was zero charge. I want my volume button undented and sent back to me free of charge. Should things really go bad I can always turn to my credit card company and just get my money back.

HeavyD4

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Wassup b.diddy i def. Agree refurbished is pretty much brand new and most of the the original bugs in the phones sent back are removed. I have a friend that works for that other company. Cheers!!!

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised by the OP's experience. I recently used the HTC Advantage and am quite pleased. I had dropped my phone several times. I cracked the screen, and had dented all the corners of the device (no case). I went to the web site and started a live chat with an HTC rep. The rep was great and clearly explained my options. I decided on the $19 option and shipped my phone to HTC. They received my phone in 2 days, and shipped the new phone the same day at no charge. The phone I received is in pristine condition and performs like new. I will say, if they were to charge a repair fee, I too would have demanded my original device be returned.

And I did purchase a case for the new device. Lol.