M8 has started to randomly get hot and eat through battery, no apparent culprits in power usage. Any ideas?

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-20-2014 10:39 AM
    M8 has started to randomly get hot and eat through battery, no apparent culprits in power usage. Any ideas?

Hello. There can be multiple factors to this.

1. The screen brightness might be set to maximum and that heats up the phone.

2. Leaving your phone in your pocket a hot sunny day will definitely heat up your phone if you're outside a lot.

3. Leaving an app running in the background will heat up the phone.

So you checked, and no resource intensive apps are running in the background?

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

Hello. There can be multiple factors to this.

1. The screen brightness might be set to maximum and that heats up the phone.

2. Leaving your phone in your pocket a hot sunny day will definitely heat up your phone if you're outside a lot.

3. Leaving an app running in the background will heat up the phone.

So you checked, and no resource intensive apps are running in the background?

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL
    09-20-2014 10:43 AM
    None of the above, have factory reset and not restored from backup. So see how it goes. Ty for reply

09-20-2014 12:22 PM
    The only time I've ever had my m8 heat up and burn through battery was pre-4.4.3 update when using GPS and Navigation while the phone was in the passenger seat in direct sunlight during a drive twice. If you had GPS enabled (location set to device) and were using navigation (or had it running in the background) that would be a valid cause.

Have you recently installed an OS update (like the 4.4.3 updates that recently came out)? Many people who have felt their battery was draining abnormally fast (or felt their phone getting hot) after the update(s) has found that doing a system cache wipe resolves the problem.
    09-20-2014 03:35 PM
    Still waiting for the 4.4.3 update to be pushed by EE

09-20-2014 04:32 PM