Motion Launch Gestures Not Working Properly

cujou

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone come across issues when trying to use the motion launch gestures while the phone (M8) is lying on a flat surface? I found that the double tap or swiping the phone while it's on a table does not always activate the phone. However, when the phone is in my hand, it works as it should. I'm thinking maybe it's because the phone has a rounded back so when you tap it, the phone will seesaw and it messes with the internal sensor. I never have this problem when the phone is in my hand because the way the phone contours to the hand and making it more stable. I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone come across issues when trying to use the motion launch gestures while the phone (M8) is lying on a flat surface? I found that the double tap or swiping the phone while it's on a table does not always activate the phone. However, when the phone is in my hand, it works as it should. I'm thinking maybe it's because the phone has a rounded back so when you tap it, the phone will seesaw and it messes with the internal sensor. I never have this problem when the phone is in my hand because the way the phone contours to the hand and making it more stable. I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.
There's been many discussions about this. Some peoples phones will not work lying down flat ( like mine) and some will work every time. Hence the name motion.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I went through the same thing until i discovered that it's supposed to do it when you pick it up. Sometimes, it will work when flat but it's designed to activate when held/moved.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

It works through the device's accelerometer or gyroscope. Can't remember which. If the phone hasn't been touched (other than the tap or swipe) it probably won't work. I've found if you just press down on one side of the device to tilt it, then double tap or swipe it'll work every time.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It works through the device's accelerometer or gyroscope. Can't remember which. If the phone hasn't been touched (other than the tap or swipe) it probably won't work. I've found if you just press down on one side of the device to tilt it, then double tap or swipe it'll work every time.

That's a bingo.

The screen's touch capacitor activates when the phone's accelerometer/gyroscope has been activated.

The double tap to wake is not supposed to work if it's just sitting flat on your desk. It works when you move it (ie; lift it up) then tap. By then the gyroscope has activated, realised it's been picked up and then activates the screen's touch capacitor.

If the touch capacitor were to stay on all the time, it would lead to battery drain.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That's a bingo.

The screen's touch capacitor activates when the phone's accelerometer/gyroscope has been activated.

The double tap to wake is not supposed to work if it's just sitting flat on your desk. It works when you move it (ie; lift it up) then tap. By then the gyroscope has activated, realised it's been picked up and then activates the screen's touch capacitor.

If the touch capacitor were to stay on all the time, it would lead to battery drain.

One thing I wish is that you could set it so the double tap is the only motion gesture to work. I find that sometimes the swipe to launch gets activated in my pocket.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the great feedback!

One great thing about AC forums is the great and helpful feedback. There's much less of that blind love/hate for brands on the forums. I don't even see much Apple hate in the forums. Now the site is another story. I barely read the site itself or the comments. It's business as usual there. A lot of negatively bashing a brand or device. Even the AC staff does it. The forums are great though. I've found tons of help on here.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
One thing that quite nice about there implantation is I don't think the tap to wake works when the phone is upside down so if u keep it in your pocket that way round then it shouldn't wake up accidentally.

I don't find the gestures work 100% which is a shame. No matter how many times I tap and shake the phone I sometimes have to resort to the wake button

Posted via Android Central App

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
One thing that quite nice about there implantation is I don't think the tap to wake works when the phone is upside down so if u keep it in your pocket that way round then it shouldn't wake up accidentally.

I don't find the gestures work 100% which is a shame. No matter how many times I tap and shake the phone I sometimes have to resort to the wake button

Yeah its not 100% polished. But its nice to have still.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance