Weak/loose/shaky power button

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey there guys

I have noticed that ever since I bought my M8, the power button seemed very weak and loose. Whenever I do any movement with the phone I could hear a rattle sound coming from it, and then I determined that it in fact was the power button. It seems loose and weak and rattly. It isn't so weak that it'd just fall out (or at least I hope not) but it is completely different than the power button on my M7, for instance, which is very sturdy. I've always used cases on my M8 so that never really bothered me, but now I am back to the TPU case which doesn't actually cover the power button.

I'm afraid things could get worse, so I am asking if you guys have the same thing or if I should pay the HTC dealership a visit? Dealerships in Egypt generally don't help you much, even if you're under warranty, and they'll either just tell me it's fine and not to worry about it or that it's a user-error and I'd have to pay for it, so I will save myself the trip and just deal with it myself.

I could probably try and record a short video of the power button and the sound it makes if necessary.

Thanks guys

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm afraid things could get worse, so I am asking if you guys have the same thing or if I should pay the HTC dealership a visit? Dealerships in Egypt generally don't help you much, even if you're under warranty, and they'll either just tell me it's fine and not to worry about it or that it's a user-error and I'd have to pay for it, so I will save myself the trip and just deal with it myself.
I think I may have mentioned it in the other thread you made about rattling, but my power button is stable, secure, and doesn't move around or produce any rattle. As a result I don't have any first hand tips to give you. Do you see any noticeable gaps next to the button? If you turn the phone upside down slowly does the power button look to extend further away from the edge of the case than it does when right side up? (In other words is the button getting longer/extended when held upside down?)
Based on what you said about support in Egypt (where you are) I probably wouldn't take it to them. Maybe inquire with HTC over the website as to if that is a part of the device that is covered under warranty. If they say yes - it is covered, and they don't charge you to fix it (aside from possibly shipping) then you might want to send it to them while its still under warranty (or keep it as is, and send it in a little while before the warranty is up). If they say its not covered (or they want to charge you a lot in addition to what the warranty covers. Then I'd recommend keeping it as is, and if it eventually falls out/off deal with it then (since you'll probably be paying the same thing for repair then as now). Holding off you could be fortunate and it may never fall off, and still be in place by the time your contract is up and you're due for a new phone. (Two years from now?)
If you try to fix it yourself you may just wind up with something clogging the area between the power button and the internal workings of the phone, and in the long run end up doing more harm than good.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My power and volume buttons are loose. I googled it after I got the phone and it seemed to be a fairly standard thing so I decided not to worry about it. It's annoying but hasn't got any worse and if it does then I'll take it to HTC

Posted via Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
@Android Optimizer I'm going to try contacting the HTC website and if I find that it is covered under warranty, then I'll take a screen shot of the email / support page and take to our local HTC dealership over here and show them. I have done that with my Apple MacBook Pro before and it worked. If I find that neither is being supportive, then I am just going to have to deal with it and hope for the best. I'm a fan of cases and protecting the phone (I basically baby this device) so I am not too worried about the power button falling off, I was just paranoid about the rattle as I mentioned in the other thread, where I wasn't even sure it was the power button but rather something loose inside, so knowing it is the power button is actually a sigh of relief.

@aldo82 my volume buttons are fine, it's just the power button that's loose. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't fall off or anything because that would suck and would be hard to repair especially since HTC isn't very popular in Egypt, whereas Samsung and Apple (unfortunately) are pretty dominant. Let's hope for the best, aldo.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My power and volume buttons are loose. I googled it after I got the phone and it seemed to be a fairly standard thing so I decided not to worry about it. It's annoying but hasn't got any worse and if it does then I'll take it to HTC

Posted via Android Central App

My volume rocker is pretty loose as well. The power feels pretty solid, but I worry about the volume rocker.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
My volume rocker is pretty loose as well. The power feels pretty solid, but I worry about the volume rocker.

Do you have a case on your phone? Some of the cases (like the one I use linked below) cover the volume buttons, and reinforce them. I haven't taken my case off in a long time, but I seem to recall the volume buttons feeling pretty stable. A case that covers the volume buttons may help to hold them in place as well as apply pressure in a consistent angle that are less likely to loosen it further.
http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Hols...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3918824

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a case on your phone? Some of the cases (like the one I use linked below) cover the volume buttons, and reinforce them. I haven't taken my case off in a long time, but I seem to recall the volume buttons feeling pretty stable. A case that covers the volume buttons may help to hold them in place as well as apply pressure in a consistent angle that are less likely to loosen it further.
http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Hols...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3918886

I haven't gotten a case for mine yet. I've only had it a week and wanted to wait until I decided if I was gonna keep it before I bought a case. That case isn't bad, and it's crazy cheap. I think I wanna try a naked tough by case-mate. I don't really like cases in general so I try to get thin clear ones if I do use them.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If I ever decide to go case-less I'll probably install a ZAGG Invisible Shield or similar to cover the back and sides. I would hate for this beautiful piece of technology to get scratched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2