Am about to trade in my M7 for the M8 and have heard that some find the vanishing row of buttons, annoying/frustrating to use as you have to "call it up" every time you need it, which is essentially an extra step.

Can these buttons be permanently docked?
    09-24-2014 11:15 PM
    Unless u root it, but no. They disappear when watching videos for me, that's about it. I find it convenient honestly.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    09-24-2014 11:20 PM
    I think they only disappear in the camera and the gallery so not really a problem and its nice to get true full screen in those apps

Posted via Android Central App
    09-25-2014 05:45 AM
    Super annoying feature. I dont understand why there is a trend away from dedicated buttons. HTC could have used the black bar under the screen (that every one complains about being a waste) by adding some capacitive overlays and made some buttons like the One X had. That way you have the best of both worlds. Dedicated buttons and full sized screen at all times for all apps. As mentioned its an extra step just to click on 'back'.

The stock browser hides the buttons and when I instinctively go to press the 'back' button its not there and I end up clicking an ad!

It also annoys me the way the buttons move place when the phone is in landscape.
    09-25-2014 07:46 AM
    If you decide to go the root or custom ROM route, you'll have no issues with that because you can determine whether you want them to get called up or if you want them to appear permanently. On the stock ROM, as mentioned above, they only disappear when you're watching a video or doing something that requires the full-screen, which in my opinion is pretty smart - I don't get why the extra second of pulling the buttons up would be that much of a hassle for someone?

I am coming from the M7 as well and I was actually pretty paranoid about not having hardware keys, but I can tell you that the on-screen buttons are miles better and more convenient than the hardware ones (and also much more responsive, of course).
    09-25-2014 09:18 AM
    If you decide to go the root or custom ROM route, you'll have no issues with that because you can determine whether you want them to get called up or if you want them to appear permanently. On the stock ROM, as mentioned above, they only disappear when you're watching a video or doing something that requires the full-screen, which in my opinion is pretty smart - I don't get why the extra second of pulling the buttons up would be that much of a hassle for someone?

I am coming from the M7 as well and I was actually pretty paranoid about not having hardware keys, but I can tell you that the on-screen buttons are miles better and more convenient than the hardware ones (and also much more responsive, of course).
    So they dont disappear in the stock browser as mentioned above? Howe about in Chrome?
    09-25-2014 10:01 AM
    Mine show all the time while using Chrome and don't disappear. I have never used the stock browser because I think it sucks so I don't really know.
    09-25-2014 09:47 PM
    I don't get why the extra second of pulling the buttons up would be that much of a hassle for someone?
    Its inconvenient, inefficient, and adds an extra step just to step just to go back/home etc. I find it quite inconsistent sometimes too, as I'll go to press 'back' just as the bar is about to dissapear!
    09-26-2014 03:04 AM
    Its inconvenient, inefficient, and adds an extra step just to step just to go back/home etc. I find it quite inconsistent sometimes too, as I'll go to press 'back' just as the bar is about to dissapear!
    Im sure a ****,shave and shower is inconvenient to some to but life is to short to sweat the small ****.
    09-26-2014 05:26 AM
    Im sure a ****,shave and shower is inconvenient to some to but life is to short to sweat the small ****.
    Erm, those are actually the most efficient way of excreting waste, removing facial hair and comprehensively cleaning yourself.

Moving away from a hard or dedicated button to a hiding button is putting in a forced feature for the sake of it. At least with windows you have the option to hide the start bar or permanently show it. And I bet 95% of people don't hide their windows start button
    09-26-2014 05:48 AM
    Immersive mode is one of the best android features ever implemented, I wish all apps supported it

My M8 posted this
    09-26-2014 07:20 AM
    Erm, those are actually the most efficient way of excreting waste, removing facial hair and comprehensively cleaning yourself.

Moving away from a hard or dedicated button to a hiding button is putting in a forced feature for the sake of it. At least with windows you have the option to hide the start bar or permanently show it. And I bet 95% of people don't hide their windows start button
    LOL!! im just messing with ya don't take to heart
    09-26-2014 08:43 AM