Moved from iphone 5s to HTC One M8 and got a couple of questions help please???

Alexandros1

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
So i got my M8 like 2 days ago all i can say it just amazes me i didn't think i will like android that much but i got a couple of questions :

1) Is there a way or an application to change app pages like in the iphone ??( i mean in the m8 you have to scroll down but i would like to have it like slide in the iphone)

2)How to import music and photos???(For the past 6 years i only used itunes so i got like no idea how to use it now, people told me about htc sync should i give it a try or is there an easier way)

3)Is there any trick or an app to slightly improve the camera??(I mean i got no problem with the camera i also have an professional camera that i use but anything that might help)

4)People told me that the camera might get scratched easily so why not have a case? (Can you suggest me some good cases)

5)Is there a way to disable doube -tap to wake and slide up/down/right ??

6)Can you suggest me a few apps??( i am a college student)

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
First of all congratulations on your purchase, you're hopefully going to love your M8. It's not an easy decision switching from iOS to Android, but I have done it and I never looked back.

1) The only way you can do that is by installing a custom launcher such as Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher.
2) Yes, download and install HTC Sync if all your content is already on iTunes.
3) Besides manually adjusting the camera's settings, I am unaware of any 'tricks' to improve the camera.
4) My favorite would have to be the Slim Armor series by Spigen. And then there are these: Amazon.com: HTC One M8 Case, SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Premium Hybrid Protective Case for All New HTC One M8 2014 Release (Frost Clear/Black): Cell Phones & Accessories and of course cases by Otterbox which are extremely protective: HTC One M8 Cases & Covers from OtterBox
You can also try going for a Wrap/Skin rather than an actual cover if you care about thinness and such, since most cases add bulk to the device: HTC One M8 Wraps/Skins and the last one would definitely be the TPU case that came inside the box which I find to be of decent quality and size.
5) I have no idea why you would want to do that seeing as it is one of the most important features of Sense 6, but anyways you can go to Settings > Display & Gestures > Motion Launch Gestures and uncheck/disable it.
6) Go to the Google Play Store and check the apps under Top Paid, Top Free, and Editor's Choice, you'll definitely come up with some useful ones.

Hope this helped!

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For #1, you could also give Google Launcher a try (it's on Google Play store). Apps/widgets on homepage/s act similar faction as iphone. You just keep adding them to the right of the homepage. As for the app page, it will slide sideways.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
A general tip for M8 camera use, is to tap to focus (light check) on a lighter area, not the dark. The M8 brings in a lot more light than other cameras, so do not tap on a dark area or you will get the blown out sky, over-bright scenes. Tap a couple spots, light then dark, until you find the one that looks best. Usually a lighter area, or a middling-light area gives me best results.

Google Music Manager (computer application) app is good for importing your itunes into Google Play Music, so long as your collection fits into the free space. Even many current iphone users prefer Google Play for various reasons. It is pretty good, and the Manager app can keep it all synced if you still purchase from itunes.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
This is the case I have and I'm extremely pleased with it. Still slides in and out of the pocket easily but makes it much easier to hold onto. Offers full protection to the phone as well but doesn't hinder any functionality. It's the supcase unicorn beetle and it's only $20 on Amazon.

Attachments

• 1412840890026.jpg
    1412840890026.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 48

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
This is the case I have and I'm extremely pleased with it. Still slides in and out of the pocket easily but makes it much easier to hold onto. Offers full protection to the phone as well but doesn't hinder any functionality. It's the supcase unicorn beetle and it's only $20 on Amazon.

It also has the benefit of being absolutely hideous.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
For #1 Just long press an app icon and it will give you an option to put it on the homepage. I prefer swiping left to right that scrolling up and down as well. You don't need to install a new launcher for this. You can also add widgets, apps, shortcuts to the homescreen by pinching your fingers fingers together on the home screen.

For #2 Google play music lets you transfer up to 20,000 tracks to the cloud to access on any device running Google Music. That's probably your best option. HTC sync manager would also work.

For #6 if you still want to use iCloud for Calenders on your M8 you can do so with an app called SmoothSync for Cloud Calender. It is pretty seamless and is the only one I've found that will sync with Outlook over the cloud effectively and in real time. They also have a version for contacts and reminders.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
A general tip for M8 camera use, is to tap to focus (light check) on a lighter area, not the dark. The M8 brings in a lot more light than other cameras, so do not tap on a dark area or you will get the blown out sky, over-bright scenes. Tap a couple spots, light then dark, until you find the one that looks best. Usually a lighter area, or a middling-light area gives me best results.

Google Music Manager (computer application) app is good for importing your itunes into Google Play Music, so long as your collection fits into the free space. Even many current iphone users prefer Google Play for various reasons. It is pretty good, and the Manager app can keep it all synced if you still purchase from itunes.

Good tip^

Posted via the Android Central App

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Why not just enable HDR? This is what HDR is designed for, balancing light and dark area in a picture. HDR will give a better result than just setting the exposure to a light area.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
3)Is there any trick or an app to slightly improve the camera??(I mean i got no problem with the camera i also have an professional camera that i use but anything that might help)

There are some decent post-processing apps that can improve your pictures. I really like Perfectly Clear https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...athentech.perfectlyclear&hl=en&token=hiNkwUoJ

4)People told me that the camera might get scratched easily so why not have a case? (Can you suggest me some good cases)

I started off with the Dot View case which will show notifications and allow interaction with the case closed. But since I use the Google apps instead of the HTC apps, the notifications didn't do anything for me. I switched a TPU case (this one Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit Case for HTC One (M7) - Android Skin Cases - ShopAndroid). It's thin and provides just enough protection.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Why not just enable HDR? This is what HDR is designed for, balancing light and dark area in a picture. HDR will give a better result than just setting the exposure to a light area.

I actually find that to not be the case on the M8; HDR seems only necessary for things like trying to see the inside of a dark garage while the rest of the picture is in the light. Even in HDR, the sky gets blown out if you tap on light areas. On my old OneX HDR was great, but the UP camera on the M8 is not a normal beast.

Nicolamel

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Limit the iso to 800, don't use hdr (sucks a little on m8) and as it has been said up here, don't expose for the brightest area of the image. Also keep in auto if you want to use the u focus ability of the m8 which is pretty nice imho. Develop your pics with Photoshop mobile or snapseed to raise shadows a bit. Beside the some dynamic range the m8 camera holds the comparison to the iPhone 5s. Tried them side by side.

Sent from my Htc One M8

Last edited:

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Personally I'm considering going back to my 5S. I don't know, I'm unsure how I like the camera on the M8. Also, I'm unsure how android is going mesh with my other apple stuff.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay