10-21-2014 10:13 AM
49 12
tools
    I'm disappointed that there is nothing groundbreaking with the iPhone. But I do like the Apple ecosystem. It's very well integrated with everything. I was an iPhone user before getting my M8, and I felt the build quality and the boom sound speakers were groundbreaking at that time.

Posted via Android Central App
    I wouldn't be waiting for anything "groundbreaking" for a while, if ever again...Bigger screens, bigger batteries, more storage, are still upcoming and probably faster chips, but you can't say you can see a difference between a 2.5 and 2.7GHz chip running on a phone that uses the same overlay. (Touchwiz, Sense, etc) Phone makers accomplished in 5 years what took the PC Makers 15 years to do, and that's "run out of **** to create"...That's why you can find PC's in varying processor speeds, different amounts of RAM, and different hard drive sizes instead of people chomping at the bit for the latest and greatest coming out of silicon valley. I remember when people sold their year-old 1GHz Pentium because the Pentium 1.33GHz model came out with 32MB of RAM...Yes, MEGABYTES. People will start holding onto their phones longer, so manufacturers will go under in the next few years, or slim down and offer budget phones more often as their top offering...It happens in everything. Automobiles, Computers, Big Box stores...etc
    mfreeland likes this.
    10-16-2014 12:20 PM
    @ChillyWilly you are right, I myself started becoming an impatient user when I jumped from iOS to Android and I hate that about myself. Before I bought the HTC One M7, I changed so many Android phones almost on a weekly basis in order to try what is different and what is new, but I must say that after the HTC One M7 I never looked back and this is why I kept it for as long as I did (nearly two years) and I only upgraded to the M8 when the M7's screen shattered. I am not impatient when it comes to software updates on the M8, but at the same time I am really excited for Android L, for instance. The developers already do a tremendous job when it comes to the M7 and the M8 which is why I never really feel like I am missing anything, at least nothing major. The camera has never been a breaking point for me which is why I never saw it as an issue with the M8 since it takes great pictures for me since I just use them for social media and I am by no means a 'photographer'.

I am happy with HTC and I feel like I will be a part of its family for a long time to come, at least as long as they keep delivering quality products.
    CHILLYWILL_95831 likes this.
    10-16-2014 06:06 PM
    I wouldn't be waiting for anything "groundbreaking" for a while, if ever again...Bigger screens, bigger batteries, more storage, are still upcoming and probably faster chips, but you can't say you can see a difference between a 2.5 and 2.7GHz chip
    NadaAddict, you make some very valid points. I bought the HTC ONE M8 because I felt it was groundbreaking. The build quality, tight tolerances, boom sound speakers, sense 6, and the camera in one package was groundbreaking to me. When I posed the question to fellow HTC One m8 owners, I wanted to see how they felt their phone stacked up. It seems as if customer satisfaction is high for users of this platform. I'm a tech enthusiast and appreciate good, well-thought-out technology. It's an interesting dynamic to see ios and Android compete against one another. However, why is Apple so successful with their iPhone, especially when they only have one iteration? It's their ecosystem and how their product brings users a unique experience. Androids need much higher specs to push the system to perform well, versus ios. I just find it fascinating that Apple is able to do that. But I prefer the openness of the Android os. They both offer top-notch tech.

10-16-2014 07:05 PM
    NadaAddict, you make some very valid points. I bought the HTC ONE M8 because I felt it was groundbreaking. The build quality, tight tolerances, boom sound speakers, sense 6, and the camera in one package was groundbreaking to me. When I posed the question to fellow HTC One m8 owners, I wanted to see how they felt their phone stacked up. It seems as if customer satisfaction is high for users of this platform. I'm a tech enthusiast and appreciate good, well-thought-out technology. It's an interesting dynamic to see ios and Android compete against one another. However, why is Apple so successful with their iPhone, especially when they only have one iteration? It's their ecosystem and how their product brings users a unique experience. Androids need much higher specs to push the system to perform well, versus ios. I just find it fascinating that Apple is able to do that. But I prefer the openness of the Android os. They both offer top-notch tech.

Ultimately, Android phones outsell IOS phones by a pretty good margin, but no one manufacturer of Android can get close to Apple. It won't happen ever unless IOS really starts to tank and I don't see that happening!

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-16-2014 08:49 PM
    Well I can tell you that from my family members' experiences of iOS 8 on their iPads and iPhones, iOS 8 isn't that good at all and does not compare to iOS 7 in terms of performance and stability when it came out.
    10-16-2014 09:45 PM
    I'll be getting the Nexus 6 and getting rid of my One M8.

M8 has been an excellent phone over the months, but looking forward to something new.
    10-16-2014 11:11 PM
    Ultimately, Android phones outsell IOS phones by a pretty good margin, but no one manufacturer of Android can get close to Apple. It won't happen ever unless IOS really starts to tank and I don't see that happening!

I think Samsung gives Apple a run for the money. That said there isn't an Android device maker who comes close to them in sales....
    10-17-2014 01:09 AM
    Well I can tell you that from my family members' experiences of iOS 8 on their iPads and iPhones, iOS 8 isn't that good at all and does not compare to iOS 7 in terms of performance and stability when it came out.
    What Apple does get right with iOS unlike Android is, they are MUCH faster releasing fixes for glitches in their software. Their latest release will be perfected after a couple more updates. To add, their software works well even on devices they released several years prior. The IPhone 4 is JUST now showing its age from iOS 8 nonetheless it still was updated. Conversely, Android devices are much slower with there software updates and fixes. To boot you may have purchased a well spec'd device 6 months prior to an Android software release but have to wait with bated breathe on wether or not you will make the cut and receive the latest software iteration. Many devices today may be sitting on kit Kat but which version??? Android 5.0 will be released in the next few months BUT who will get it and more importantly, when. Equally frustrating is when you do receive an update but it introduces glitches, primarily, impacting your devices battery life. The problem is, the fix takes too long to deploy. For this reason I do not like updating the OS on android devices. Heck, it still boggles my mind that a new android device can be released without the latest available software on it. Don't get me wrong I prefer the Android experience for my smartphone devices. I do find Apple head and shoulders above Google when it comes to supporting the software on their devices.
    TarekElsakka likes this.
    10-17-2014 01:46 AM
    I still have my iPhone 4.

1) It wasn't updated to IOS 8 so I don't know where you got that from.

2) It really started showing its age when IOS 7 was released. It became laggy and the already weak battery life took a bigger hit. Performance improved after a couple updates but battery life did not.

I've had several HTC updates this year through the play store to fix issues so bypassing the carriers will help close that gap.

TarekElsakka likes this.
    10-17-2014 04:40 AM
    I still have my iPhone 4.

1) It wasn't updated to IOS 8 so I don't know where you got that from.

2) It really started showing its age when IOS 7 was released. It became laggy and the already weak battery life took a bigger hit. Performance improved after a couple updates but battery life did not.

I've had several HTC updates this year through the play store to fix issues so bypassing the carriers will help close that gap.

1. I meant the 4 with an "s" after it...

2. IMO I do not think Apple used an adequate size battery in their devices. The iPhone 5 (to me) was terrible. I'd have to charge twice a day to make it through. I can definitely see how newer software on older devices can cause the lag factor.

I was referencing more the OS and not apps exclusive to the device makers which some can be updated via the store. Google however does not do that for the OS on branded devices (moto,LG,Samsung,HTC, etc) nor do I think it would be feasible for them to do because of all the different models with skins on the market....
    10-17-2014 07:37 AM
    What I am saying is their is an "app" called HTC service pack that address many of the things you are talking about. They also have their BlinkFeed launcher online as well. Most of the bug fixes for Sense can be implemented on the Google Play store side without even needing Google or the carriers. It's a smarter more effective transmission.

10-17-2014 09:25 AM
    I had the HTC One X, M7, and M8 and to be honest I never felt like they lacked when it came to software updates. I just recently updated my best friend's old HTC One X to the latest Android version and it is performing just as good as it did on the version it came with, which I believe was Ice Cream Sandwich but I am not too sure. Point is, I've experienced the issues you're talking about with Samsung and Sony, where the device would perform very poorly with a newer version of Android, but I have never experienced that with HTC and hopefully never will.
    10-17-2014 10:11 AM
    Looking forward top the nexus 6
    10-17-2014 10:22 AM
    I'm trying to hold out for the M9 to see what it'll bring to the dance. Although I have zero issues with the M8. I've done well convincing myself not to jump from the note 3 to the 4. I like what HTC has been doing so it's worth me giving them another shot in the future.
    10-17-2014 10:38 AM

M8 has been an excellent phone over the months, but looking forward to something new.
    Getting rid of the M8 for the nexus 6? I suppose you want a phablet! I do like the nexus line and the Motorola design but it's going to be too big for my taste! I would almost consider the Moto x, but it doesn't have a super amoled like the Samsung, so its screen isn't even as nice as the M8. The battery is too small, no external storage, and the camera is not the best! I'm pretty sure the nexus 6 will address all of those issues..

10-17-2014 11:15 AM
    I love my m8, I've had it since the day it was launched. Its a great phone, especially when you dive into the realm of rooting. My only complaint is the camera, it's okay, but not great. Everything else on this phone is top notch. I am very much looking forward to the M9, I hope HTC takes a look at what motorola is doing and follow suit. The Nexus 6 looks pretty impressive and on paper the Droid Turbo appears to be well equipped.
    10-17-2014 11:30 AM
    @ChillyWilly you are right, I myself started becoming an impatient user when I jumped from iOS to Android and I hate that about myself. Before I bought the HTC One M7, I changed so many Android phones almost on a weekly basis in order to try what is different and what is new, but I must say that after the HTC One M7 I never looked back and this is why I kept it for as long as I did (nearly two years) and I only upgraded to the M8 when the M7's screen shattered. I am not impatient when it comes to software updates on the M8, but at the same time I am really excited for Android L, for instance. The developers already do a tremendous job when it comes to the M7 and the M8 which is why I never really feel like I am missing anything, at least nothing major. The camera has never been a breaking point for me which is why I never saw it as an issue with the M8 since it takes great pictures for me since I just use them for social media and I am by no means a 'photographer'.

I am happy with HTC and I feel like I will be a part of its family for a long time to come, at least as long as they keep delivering quality products.
    BTW, no need to hate anything about yourself regarding this electronic stuff! The frenetic pace at which it grows affects many of us the same way! The challenge is to see if you can control yourself and not let the electronics control you...haha... Now, I'm getting on a whole other subject..lol! Let me just say this, pick a team and stick with it..good or bad...either until your options run out or you're at a significant disadvantage because of the team you've chosen! I was a big Palm and WebOS supporter all the way to their dieing end! I still get misty when I see a Palm pre... Lol! The one in my bottom drawer! I won't go into why Palm failed, but I can assure that when a little guy gets bought out by a big guy, the little guys happy go lucky bubble gum innovations will fly right out the window and that's a shame really! I don't want that to happen to HTC! So, you might say the little guy wasn't good enough to stand on his own, but when I look around at Google and Apple, their operating systems are very much inspired by WebOS ingenuity and innovation! HTC probably still lets the kids (software engineers) ride around on their skateboards at work while they come up with a thousand new ideas every day! I just don't want them to go the way of Palm and have their direction and creativity sucked up by a big company that just cares about the bottom line!

TarekElsakka likes this.
    10-17-2014 11:41 AM
    Getting rid of the M8 for the nexus 6? I suppose you want a phablet! I do like the nexus line and the Motorola design but it's going to be too big for my taste! I would almost consider the Moto x, but it doesn't have a super amoled like the Samsung, so its screen isn't even as nice as the M8. The battery is too small, no external storage, and the camera is not the best! I'm pretty sure the nexus 6 will address all of those issues..

Hah, I actually didn't want a phablet and was hoping those 5.2" Nexus rumours were true. However I've had the M8 for quite a long while now and just want a change.

And yeah, I hope the Nexus 6 addresses the issues the Moto X has. Especially the camera.

For all the flack the M8 gets about its camera, I think it's really good, and outstanding in low light. Kinda sad I'll be giving that up when going to a new phone.
    10-17-2014 03:09 PM
    Hah, I actually didn't want a phablet and was hoping those 5.2" Nexus rumours were true. However I've had the M8 for quite a long while now and just want a change.

And yeah, I hope the Nexus 6 addresses the issues the Moto X has. Especially the camera.

For all the flack the M8 gets about its camera, I think it's really good, and outstanding in low light. Kinda sad I'll be giving that up when going to a new phone.
    Don't get why you can't wait for the M9, you know you'll be getting it as soon as it is released. The way i see it, it's not like you are giving up on HTC, you're just that ADD Fandroid guy like so many others. Just please don't pose the question " why does Apple sell so many Iphones?" The answer is a simple one. Fanboys are willing to wait for the next iteration of their phone. Their really is no better Android phone than the M8, so I know you'll be back. Go ahead and satisfy your ADD compulsions... LOL! Not meant to insult, but it just seems to be a a trait of us Fandroids.
    10-20-2014 09:47 AM

I feel the same... I love my M8 but for some reason I do want to try the Nexus 6. I definitely will miss the camera but I'm hoping it'll be at least somewhat comparable.
    10-20-2014 03:15 PM
    I have my eyes on next years M9 or the Z4. Nexus 6 isn't doing it for me. Samsung isn't even a consideration and neither is Apple.

NEXUS_HTC_PS likes this.
    10-20-2014 06:57 PM
    I have my eyes on next years M9 or the Z4. Nexus 6 isn't doing it for me. Samsung isn't even a consideration and neither is Apple.

I think I've found my niche in Android. HTC, I've pretty much dedicated myself to, Sony I really want because of the remote play functionality for the ps4. So I am with ya on this^^^!!! I think I will totally have two new flagships come next March!!!

10-20-2014 09:21 PM
    How do you guys feel the phone stacks up these days?
    10-20-2014 09:57 PM
    Yeah, personally I'm not going anywhere near a Nexus or LG device. Those phones age horribly in my experience. For me it's HTC, then Apple and then Samsung. I won't even consider a new phone until I see what's coming in March/April.
    10-21-2014 10:13 AM
49 12