New Phone Choices

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I suppose you're right, however, the note series is a tablet. And, I definitely agree with you on the camera. I do think that HTC will invest more in the camera come the M9. I hope! I do not see the investment side of flipping through several different Android phones though. That just seems like restless behavior to me. I keep thinking I want a better camera, but I haven't taken a single picture that I've been dissatisfied with because the phone just couldn't do any better! Each time, I've been able to make an adjustment and get just what I want. There is no need for me to upgrade to an M9, but I will just because I want a newer device! But, this M8 is still amazing to me!

Posted via the Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I should have said we have to have the next best thing... RIGHT NOW!

I must admit, I am dying for Android L and will probably change CIDs, MIDs, etc. in order to get it as soon as it comes out! haha

The M9 will not work for me if HTC makes this phone any taller! They have to figure out how to do more with less

I must agree with you. The fact that it's so tall makes its dimensions easier to slip out from your hands since it's very thin and the material is slippery. They should start making it just a tad wider, in my opinion.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I must admit, I am dying for Android L and will probably change CIDs, MIDs, etc. in order to get it as soon as it comes out! haha

I must agree with you. The fact that it's so tall makes its dimensions easier to slip out from your hands since it's very thin and the material is slippery. They should start making it just a tad wider, in my opinion.

I rest my case! AND, as soon as it lands and you figure out all of its secrets, about a week, you'll be back in bated breath for the next update! The problem is that Android fans don't Give themselves time to appreciate the platform, they are in constant critique mode! And, as long as you're doing that you can't actually enjoy how far we've come or appreciate what's right in front of you! I don't like to stereotype platform loyalists, but ios fans are seemingly more mature with respect to their expectations of what a phone can do! They have matured with their devices! Android fans like to keep being reborn..lol! They make it to puberty, then go right back to the womb! If every new version of Android is not exciting, then they're bored, restless, and ready to try a new phone, or platform! Grow up a little Fandroids! Every new version is not going to be groundbreaking whether it's the hardware or the software! Smartphones have hit that plateau and have matured! A faster processor won't make my fingers move any faster! A bigger screen won't make my eyesight any better, and a better camera won't make me a better photographer! Enjoy the sweet spot that we are in right now!

I mean Apple sells 10 million phones in the first week of the release of what I consider to be a follower phone...And, get this, they've been looking at the same app drawer homescreens since its inception back in 08 or 09! They have no worries! There is something positive to be said for maturity! And,I walk in to an Apple store to the repair section and these people absolutely deify Apple! Now, flip that to the HTC M8! In nearly every facet of phone excitement, the M8 outdoes the latest ios devices, but because we have so many choices we can't really get behind and be loyal to a truly awesome device like the M8 and HTC! We want water proof, we want 20 MP, we want the smaller bezels, we want this, we want that! But, the truth is, no one person can get everything they want from a smartphone because there are just too many options to consider, so why not grow with a promising company like HTC! Every time we test the waters we take away from HTC! I'm not saying that HTC should be the only platform, but we clearly should not be worrying about whether HTC will be making our phones a couple of years from now..RIGHT? They are the "little engine that could!"

Last edited:

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm disappointed that there is nothing groundbreaking with the iPhone. But I do like the Apple ecosystem. It's very well integrated with everything. I was an iPhone user before getting my M8, and I felt the build quality and the boom sound speakers were groundbreaking at that time.

Posted via Android Central App

I wouldn't be waiting for anything "groundbreaking" for a while, if ever again...Bigger screens, bigger batteries, more storage, are still upcoming and probably faster chips, but you can't say you can see a difference between a 2.5 and 2.7GHz chip running on a phone that uses the same overlay. (Touchwiz, Sense, etc) Phone makers accomplished in 5 years what took the PC Makers 15 years to do, and that's "run out of **** to create"...That's why you can find PC's in varying processor speeds, different amounts of RAM, and different hard drive sizes instead of people chomping at the bit for the latest and greatest coming out of silicon valley. I remember when people sold their year-old 1GHz Pentium because the Pentium 1.33GHz model came out with 32MB of RAM...Yes, MEGABYTES. People will start holding onto their phones longer, so manufacturers will go under in the next few years, or slim down and offer budget phones more often as their top offering...It happens in everything. Automobiles, Computers, Big Box stores...etc

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
@ChillyWilly you are right, I myself started becoming an impatient user when I jumped from iOS to Android and I hate that about myself. Before I bought the HTC One M7, I changed so many Android phones almost on a weekly basis in order to try what is different and what is new, but I must say that after the HTC One M7 I never looked back and this is why I kept it for as long as I did (nearly two years) and I only upgraded to the M8 when the M7's screen shattered. I am not impatient when it comes to software updates on the M8, but at the same time I am really excited for Android L, for instance. The developers already do a tremendous job when it comes to the M7 and the M8 which is why I never really feel like I am missing anything, at least nothing major. The camera has never been a breaking point for me which is why I never saw it as an issue with the M8 since it takes great pictures for me since I just use them for social media and I am by no means a 'photographer'.

I am happy with HTC and I feel like I will be a part of its family for a long time to come, at least as long as they keep delivering quality products.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be waiting for anything "groundbreaking" for a while, if ever again...Bigger screens, bigger batteries, more storage, are still upcoming and probably faster chips, but you can't say you can see a difference between a 2.5 and 2.7GHz chip

NadaAddict, you make some very valid points. I bought the HTC ONE M8 because I felt it was groundbreaking. The build quality, tight tolerances, boom sound speakers, sense 6, and the camera in one package was groundbreaking to me. When I posed the question to fellow HTC One m8 owners, I wanted to see how they felt their phone stacked up. It seems as if customer satisfaction is high for users of this platform. I'm a tech enthusiast and appreciate good, well-thought-out technology. It's an interesting dynamic to see ios and Android compete against one another. However, why is Apple so successful with their iPhone, especially when they only have one iteration? It's their ecosystem and how their product brings users a unique experience. Androids need much higher specs to push the system to perform well, versus ios. I just find it fascinating that Apple is able to do that. But I prefer the openness of the Android os. They both offer top-notch tech.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
NadaAddict, you make some very valid points. I bought the HTC ONE M8 because I felt it was groundbreaking. The build quality, tight tolerances, boom sound speakers, sense 6, and the camera in one package was groundbreaking to me. When I posed the question to fellow HTC One m8 owners, I wanted to see how they felt their phone stacked up. It seems as if customer satisfaction is high for users of this platform. I'm a tech enthusiast and appreciate good, well-thought-out technology. It's an interesting dynamic to see ios and Android compete against one another. However, why is Apple so successful with their iPhone, especially when they only have one iteration? It's their ecosystem and how their product brings users a unique experience. Androids need much higher specs to push the system to perform well, versus ios. I just find it fascinating that Apple is able to do that. But I prefer the openness of the Android os. They both offer top-notch tech.

Ultimately, Android phones outsell IOS phones by a pretty good margin, but no one manufacturer of Android can get close to Apple. It won't happen ever unless IOS really starts to tank and I don't see that happening!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Well I can tell you that from my family members' experiences of iOS 8 on their iPads and iPhones, iOS 8 isn't that good at all and does not compare to iOS 7 in terms of performance and stability when it came out.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Ultimately, Android phones outsell IOS phones by a pretty good margin, but no one manufacturer of Android can get close to Apple. It won't happen ever unless IOS really starts to tank and I don't see that happening!

I think Samsung gives Apple a run for the money. That said there isn't an Android device maker who comes close to them in sales....

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I can tell you that from my family members' experiences of iOS 8 on their iPads and iPhones, iOS 8 isn't that good at all and does not compare to iOS 7 in terms of performance and stability when it came out.

What Apple does get right with iOS unlike Android is, they are MUCH faster releasing fixes for glitches in their software. Their latest release will be perfected after a couple more updates. To add, their software works well even on devices they released several years prior. The IPhone 4 is JUST now showing its age from iOS 8 nonetheless it still was updated. Conversely, Android devices are much slower with there software updates and fixes. To boot you may have purchased a well spec'd device 6 months prior to an Android software release but have to wait with bated breathe on wether or not you will make the cut and receive the latest software iteration. Many devices today may be sitting on kit Kat but which version??? Android 5.0 will be released in the next few months BUT who will get it and more importantly, when. Equally frustrating is when you do receive an update but it introduces glitches, primarily, impacting your devices battery life. The problem is, the fix takes too long to deploy. For this reason I do not like updating the OS on android devices. Heck, it still boggles my mind that a new android device can be released without the latest available software on it. Don't get me wrong I prefer the Android experience for my smartphone devices. I do find Apple head and shoulders above Google when it comes to supporting the software on their devices.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I still have my iPhone 4.

1) It wasn't updated to IOS 8 so I don't know where you got that from.

2) It really started showing its age when IOS 7 was released. It became laggy and the already weak battery life took a bigger hit. Performance improved after a couple updates but battery life did not.

I've had several HTC updates this year through the play store to fix issues so bypassing the carriers will help close that gap.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I still have my iPhone 4.

1) It wasn't updated to IOS 8 so I don't know where you got that from.

2) It really started showing its age when IOS 7 was released. It became laggy and the already weak battery life took a bigger hit. Performance improved after a couple updates but battery life did not.

I've had several HTC updates this year through the play store to fix issues so bypassing the carriers will help close that gap.

1. I meant the 4 with an "s" after it...

2. IMO I do not think Apple used an adequate size battery in their devices. The iPhone 5 (to me) was terrible. I'd have to charge twice a day to make it through. I can definitely see how newer software on older devices can cause the lag factor.

I was referencing more the OS and not apps exclusive to the device makers which some can be updated via the store. Google however does not do that for the OS on branded devices (moto,LG,Samsung,HTC, etc) nor do I think it would be feasible for them to do because of all the different models with skins on the market....

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
What I am saying is their is an "app" called HTC service pack that address many of the things you are talking about. They also have their BlinkFeed launcher online as well. Most of the bug fixes for Sense can be implemented on the Google Play store side without even needing Google or the carriers. It's a smarter more effective transmission.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I had the HTC One X, M7, and M8 and to be honest I never felt like they lacked when it came to software updates. I just recently updated my best friend's old HTC One X to the latest Android version and it is performing just as good as it did on the version it came with, which I believe was Ice Cream Sandwich but I am not too sure. Point is, I've experienced the issues you're talking about with Samsung and Sony, where the device would perform very poorly with a newer version of Android, but I have never experienced that with HTC and hopefully never will.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to hold out for the M9 to see what it'll bring to the dance. Although I have zero issues with the M8. I've done well convincing myself not to jump from the note 3 to the 4. I like what HTC has been doing so it's worth me giving them another shot in the future.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting the Nexus 6 and getting rid of my One M8.

M8 has been an excellent phone over the months, but looking forward to something new.

Getting rid of the M8 for the nexus 6? I suppose you want a phablet! I do like the nexus line and the Motorola design but it's going to be too big for my taste! I would almost consider the Moto x, but it doesn't have a super amoled like the Samsung, so its screen isn't even as nice as the M8. The battery is too small, no external storage, and the camera is not the best! I'm pretty sure the nexus 6 will address all of those issues..