Alternative to Facetime on Android

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I've tried everything. Viber, Hangouts, Skype, Tanto, etc. They are all pixelated and choppy compared to Facetime. Is their anything about Lollipop that is going to improve the situation?

Posted via Android Central App

Marcin Stachurski

May 8, 2014
Visit site
What phone are you using for your Android experience? Being pixelated has to do with front facing camera and connection. Hangouts on my Note3 with my wife when she's travelling is great. Both LTE and WiFi.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have an M7. But my wife still has an iPhone 4S and the quality is better when she uses it with family that has iPhones. I have a 50 down 10 up connection so that's not the problem.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Why wouldn't HTC come up with their own facetime since they are focusing on front facing cameras and "eye" phones? Will Lollipop support H265 like IOS8. That would help.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Why wouldn't HTC come up with their own facetime since they are focusing on front facing cameras and "eye" phones? Will Lollipop support H265 like IOS8. That would help.

Makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

pootyash

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I wish there was just Facetime on Android. It's the ONLY thing that makes me even consider switching to Apple, as the rest of my family has iPhones. (guess that's why Apple won't share it)

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

What makes no sense? Having a 13mp front camera that ends up looking like shyte on a 3rd party video call app or Android 5 not using the latest compression technology to make video calls more fluid?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I wish there was just Facetime on Android. It's the ONLY thing that makes me even consider switching to Apple, as the rest of my family has iPhones. (guess that's why Apple won't share it)

There are other apps I've used lime I mentioned to speak to Apple users. They just aren't as well executed and clear as Facetime. Apple will never cross platforms. I like that Google makes themselves accessible to all.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
What makes no sense? Having a 13mp front camera that ends up looking like shyte on a 3rd party video call app or Android 5 not using the latest compression technology to make video calls more fluid?

HTC having their own app.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I use Skype like the rest of the non Apple using world, with good results, depending on network strength on both ends. A 5 MP camera is plenty for clear video calls.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't get it. I tried hangouts and it was awful. Even when I use it at home over WiFi it sucks. Is there some special setting for it I am missing?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't get it. I tried hangouts and it was awful. Even when I use it at home over WiFi it sucks. Is there some special setting for it I am missing?

Agree. Never had a clear video chat on Hangouts. I don't know why. WiFi was top notch on both devices. Even Skype was better!

mugenlude19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I use hangouts at least 3 times a week with 4 or more people and it's Great. All my appletard friends have it on their devices.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
HTC having their own app.

So they go to the trouble of introducing the Eye experience with motion tracking, four person facial split screen , etc all geared to improving the video call experience and then leave it up to a 3rd party app to execute it? It reminds me of Netflix's fight with Verizon. What good is your service if you leave your transmission to someone else that can make your end product look like crap? One thing Apple is great at is software optimization. Even on a iPhone 4S face time is smooth. You can't tell me on a 2013-2014 Android device everyone can't share the same user experience. It doesn't seem to be the case here.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Is your idea that the app would work on any Android or just HTC? If just HTC, there really is no point. If any Android, well, yes someone should make a better video chat app for Android, but (1) that's not really the business HTC is in and (2) HTC is horrible at software development, even for their own phones. For cross Android, it would be a disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781