I remember i used to get great battery life. But now 5 months later, no matter what i do it seems it really has gone worse. Max Screen On time is usually 4.5hours (no power saver turned on). . With power saver ON i can get 5.5h. Ive resorted to AutoCon+ to kill connections when screen is off. This helps just a bit. Ive done a full hard format having to reinstall all apps and little has changed.

No rogue apps. How about your batt lifes?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-25-2014 06:57 PM
    I actually get less than you and it has been less than 5 months for me. I am not sure why but the same thing happened after I got my M7 so I guess it's a pattern.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    10-25-2014 07:50 PM
    At least im not alone! Hehhe. The Z3 with purportedly 2 day heavy use batt life sounds tempting. But m8 is just too good to let go

10-25-2014 08:08 PM
    Have you recalibrated your battery? That will help get it back to square one.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-25-2014 08:42 PM
    Has the phone got very hot, or hot for long periods of time? Or do you leave it plugged in after it reaches full charge? Both of those are leading causes of battery damage. Of course it's also just possible the battery was defective from the factory, leading to premature death.

A calibration may help, but don't keep trying to calibrate if it doesn't work the first time. Running lithium batteries down to cut off repeatedly can also damage them.
    10-25-2014 09:15 PM
    Well I was addicted to a game called Injustice and i used to play it a lot but as soon as the phone started getting hot (45 degrees, for example) I just closed the game, turned the screen off, and let it cool. That may or may not be a factor to the battery life getting worse, but I have a feeling it's a big factor. I already stopped playing that game so my phone doesn't even get hot anymore which I guess is a good thing. I sure hope the battery life doesn't get worse than it already is, though. I never let my battery run below 40% because I read about lithium batteries when I first had an iPhone 4.
    10-26-2014 07:47 AM
    Have tried calibration to no effect.

I thought now being 2014 our smartphones are smart enough that even if it is plugged and fully charged it will not damage, hence ive been plugging it every night at 11PM and unplugging it at 6AM. Im sure it full charged a few hours after 11.

Yes it also gets hot after heavy usage.

10-26-2014 09:07 AM
    my m8 has never gotten great battery life. htc need to at minimum give the m9 a 3000mah battery.
    10-26-2014 10:06 AM
    No. Keeping your phone plugged up when it reaches a full charge does not damage battery.

10-26-2014 10:34 AM
    You are in a small minority.

10-26-2014 10:34 AM
    I was thinking mine is getting better since the 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 updates. I easily get two days out of it for light use. I don't play games on it for hours though.
    10-26-2014 01:51 PM
    No. Keeping your phone plugged up when it reaches a full charge does not damage battery.
    From http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered*elevated temperature*and for most Li-ion, a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as*high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC.
    There's a lot more info on the page, but includes several charts and graphs. When you leave a phone plugged in, you're holding it at about 4.3V after it hits a full charge. That's why it's not a good idea to leave it plugged in.
    10-26-2014 04:42 PM
    Culprit I read from a twitter post before; the very reason why the battery degrades so fast, is using the phone while it's charging or plugged into an outlet. Eversince I read about that, whenever I need to use the phone, I unplugged it and charge it again when I'm done.
    10-26-2014 04:49 PM
    Just to weigh in here...Mooncatt is right. However, I've been charging my phone overnight every night for years (different phones, of course) and have not detected appreciable loss of capacity (or enough that caused me problems). But, keeping the phone on the charger all the time will kill a li-ion battery faster than it should. The chemistry in the battery actually creates pathways between the anode and cathode of the battery which could short out the battery.

Heat will kill phone batteries as well. Unfortunately, most users use a case so that when we drop our Precious, it will be somewhat protected. Cases are an insulator around the phone, causing the phone to get hotter than a naked one. This could cause a problem while charging, making the battery warmer.

All that said, a battery is not functioning correctly if it is dying 5 months into it's normal service life. Can't tell you if the problem is with the battery itself or something running on the phone. BTW, my phone is rarely lower than 50% at the end of the day but there has been days where it has to be charged mid-day. Typically, that is due to cellular signal levels.

My $.02
    10-26-2014 05:32 PM