Okay so I am fairly new to the Android scene so please go easy. I have been experimenting with my phone with some launchers and I've settled for Nova which is pretty nice, but my main concern is does me switching to ART mean my warranty is void? Or am I getting the concept of this wrong, is switching to ART rooting or is that a totally different thing all together?

I know these question will be "noob" like to most of you, but as I said, I am fairly new to Android devices and would appreciate the help a lot.

Thank you.
    10-27-2014 09:09 AM
    Welcome to the forums.
    does me switching to ART mean my warranty is void?
    No. It is a different runtime, but it should not void the warranty. Rooting is completely different.

Be careful about ART though. Right now, it is experimental on anything lower than Lollipop.
    10-27-2014 09:27 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

No. It is a different runtime, but it should not void the warranty. Rooting is completely different.
    Thank you for the welcome, it's a nice website here! Lot's of good info.

I will switch to it now then as I want to see if I get any performance improvements.

Thank you.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    10-27-2014 09:29 AM
    Okay so I am fairly new to the Android scene so please go easy. I have been experimenting with my phone with some launchers and I've settled for Nova which is pretty nice, but my main concern is does me switching to ART mean my warranty is void? Or am I getting the concept of this wrong, is switching to ART rooting or is that a totally different thing all together?

I know these question will be "noob" like to most of you, but as I said, I am fairly new to Android devices and would appreciate the help a lot.

Thank you.
    Welcome!

Switching to art will not void your warranty and it is not rooting.
    Just keep in mind that this is still technically a developmental feature and is not fully functional. (For the most part it is)

You may run into apps not working that usually work otherwise.
    If that's the case, I usually recommend against writing bad reviews of those apps that don't work because of art. Too often app reviews plummet if their app doesn't work with art enabled. Its not their fault if it doesn't work yet, as it is still experimental on anything other than lollipop as stated above.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    10-27-2014 09:29 AM
    Welcome!

Switching to art will not void your warranty and it is not rooting.
    Just keep in mind that this is still technically a developmental feature and is not fully functional. (For the most part it is)

You may run into apps not working that usually work otherwise.
    If that's the case, I usually recommend against writing bad reviews of those apps that don't work because of art. Too often app reviews plummet if their app doesn't work with art enabled. Its not their fault if it doesn't work yet, as it is still experimental on anything other than lollipop as stated above.
    Thank you for assuring me I can do it without voiding my warranty, I appreciate that!

I will be careful with it and if things don't work too well I'll just switch back. I fully understand that some apps may behave weirdly. I understand that on Lollipop it will be ART by default so I look forward to that update. Just a matter of time to when my network here in the UK gets it when it is released.
    10-27-2014 09:36 AM
    Thank you for assuring me I can do it without voiding my warranty, I appreciate that!

I will be careful with it and if things don't work too well I'll just switch back. I fully understand that some apps may behave weirdly. I understand that on Lollipop it will be ART by default so I look forward to that update. Just a matter of time to when my network here in the UK gets it when it is released.
    Have fun experimenting. Its one of the best parts about android
    divybc likes this.
    10-27-2014 09:38 AM
    I used Art on a nexus 5 and found it ran much better and I was really pleased with it. I've tried it on the one m8 a few tines and always switch back to davlik. By all means give it a go but for me I felt that art wasn't really ready for full time use on the HTC software which of course is perfectly understandable as it's not a main feature they are expected to support on kit kat

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-27-2014 09:46 AM
    I switched to ART for a while but I eventually went back to Delvik because it's a lot more stable. ART is supposed to be more memory and battery efficient than Delvik, but since it's still in an early stage, the results are quite the opposite. You can even use Benchmark test apps and you'll see for yourself.
    10-27-2014 09:51 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

Be careful about ART though. Right now, it is experimental on anything lower than Lollipop.

Instead of making a new thread and clutter I was wondering if any of you guys could shed the light on a problem I have here. Before I done a factory reset I had a folder in DCIM called "camera" now ever since my 2nd reset after an issue or two this folder has magically disappeared. Is there anything that can be done to find out where is it or what happened? The only file I am seeing in DCIM now is 100MEDIA.

Also, if worse comes to worse and I have to factory reset, these will do no harm to my phones performance will it as I've already done it twice and I'm hesitant to use it again unless I REALLY need to.

Thanks for anyone who sheds the light on this one.
    10-27-2014 12:31 PM
    It doesn't really matter if the folder is inside or not as long as the photos you take actually show up in Gallery and inside the DCIM folder (regardless of the subfolder). There's no harm in resetting to factory, it's actually the opposite because it returns the device to a state where it is fast and fresh, but I don't understand why you keep factory resetting every time you face an issue.. there are a lot of solutions besides that.
    10-27-2014 01:04 PM
    It doesn't really matter if the folder is inside or not as long as the photos you take actually show up in Gallery and inside the DCIM folder (regardless of the subfolder). There's no harm in resetting to factory, it's actually the opposite because it returns the device to a state where it is fast and fresh, but I don't understand why you keep factory resetting every time you face an issue.. there are a lot of solutions besides that.
    It was recommended by guys at the three store. The issue I was facing I tried to resolve by other means as I am not just going to go hitting the factory restore button. I won't go into depth, but the thing is with this one the camera pictures aren't showing anywhere... That's the problem here, not just the missing folder (I forgot to mention that part, my bad) but yea I can't find a solution to this anywhere hence coming here.
    10-27-2014 01:09 PM
    I switched to ART for a while but I eventually went back to Delvik because it's a lot more stable. ART is supposed to be more memory and battery efficient than Delvik, but since it's still in an early stage, the results are quite the opposite. You can even use Benchmark test apps and you'll see for yourself.
    I found it to be noticeably more battery efficient on my nexus 5 and maybe a hair snappier. But that couldn't be said for my m8.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-27-2014 01:12 PM
    It was recommended by guys at the three store. The issue I was facing I tried to resolve by other means as I am not just going to go hitting the factory restore button. I won't go into depth, but the thing is with this one the camera pictures aren't showing anywhere... That's the problem here, not just the missing folder (I forgot to mention that part, my bad) but yea I can't find a solution to this anywhere hence coming here.
    So now when you take pictures, the pictures aren't showing up in your gallery or in any folders?

10-27-2014 01:15 PM
    The pictures not showing up is definitely weird. Do you have an external SD card installed? If so, can you try changing the storage in Camera to "SD Card" and then back to "Internal storage"? Maybe that will create the missing folder. I just checked my storage and the pictures are inside the 100MEDIA folder on my SD card.

Sent from my VPCF115FG using Tapatalk
    10-27-2014 01:16 PM
    So now when you take pictures, the pictures aren't showing up in your gallery or in any folders?

Correct. That is the issue here.
    10-27-2014 01:17 PM
    The pictures not showing up is definitely weird. Do you have an external SD card installed? If so, can you try changing the storage in Camera to "SD Card" and then back to "Internal storage"? Maybe that will create the missing folder. I just checked my storage and the pictures are inside the 100MEDIA folder on my SD card.

I'll try that now and update back.

Edit, no luck. Still the same issue I am facing.
    10-27-2014 01:17 PM
    By the way, when you change it to SD Card take a picture and then change back, and also check if the picture actually shows up on your SD card. I hope that made sense. lol

10-27-2014 01:18 PM
    I'll try that now and update back.

Edit, no luck. Still the same issue I am facing.
    Download another camera app from the play store, say google camera, and see if that saves your pictures.
    10-27-2014 01:43 PM
    Download another camera app from the play store, say google camera, and see if that saves your pictures.
    That worked for google camera and brought the folders back. Weird one that was!

Thank for the advice
    10-27-2014 02:56 PM
    That worked for google camera and brought the folders back. Weird one that was!

Thank for the advice
    Oh great! So does it work with the camera now?
    10-27-2014 03:00 PM
    Oh great! So does it work with the camera now?
    Yes, weirdly it all works now including the stock camera app.

Can safely say I've never had an issue like that before, but there's a first time for everything.
    10-27-2014 03:02 PM
    Yes, weirdly it all works now including the stock camera app.

Can safely say I've never had an issue like that before, but there's a first time for everything.
    Wow that definitely is weird. Glad its working though!
    divybc likes this.
    10-27-2014 03:03 PM