Looking for a new SD card

Rakkety

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
When I try to use the Zoe function on my One M8, it tells me that I need to insert a better class SD card. I'm not sure what I have right now (I just put in an old mirco SD card that I had lying around). I'm just curious as to what some good recommendation. Preferably something around $10. I'm not too picky about size.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's surprising, since pretty much all microSD cards are at least class 10. I would just stick with reliable brand names like Sandisk or Toshiba, and buy them from a big retailer, rather than some independent seller on eBay. You can also use SD Insight to get more details about your current card (although I don't think it reports the class).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Even now there are a lot of class 6 and under cards. I'm not sure what that minimum class Zoe requires, but the higher the class, the faster the card. Class 10 is about the fastest you can get currently and is becoming the go to class for most people if you plan to do anything with HD video.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing when I first got my M8 and the camera was rather slow because of the SD card. I eventually went ahead and purchased a 16GB (going to buy a larger one soon) Kingston Class 10 MicroSD card and it's beautiful and actually pretty cheap.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Even now there are a lot of class 6 and under cards. I'm not sure what that minimum class Zoe requires, but the higher the class, the faster the card. Class 10 is about the fastest you can get currently and is becoming the go to class for most people if you plan to do anything with HD video.

I wasn't aware of that--it seems that every microSD card I see advertised these days have the class 10 symbol on there. Are the sub-class 10 cards usually sold on eBay, or do you actually see them in electronics stores?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about brick and mortar stores, but Best Buy's website had class 6, and I think one or two class 4 options a little while back. Those were usually cheaper, but it's still prudent to check the class rating just in case.

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I think the key statement the OP made was "Old SD card that I had laying around." Most new SD cards are class 6 or above. I had an 8 gig card from my original moto droid that I continued to use when I got my Bionic. I think it was like a class 2 or 4. I put it in my M8 and got the same notification pop up when I first played around with the zoe function. Needless to say, I went ahead and upgraded to a class 10 64gig card. Works flawless!

That's surprising, since pretty much all microSD cards are at least class 10. I would just stick with reliable brand names like Sandisk or Toshiba, and buy them from a big retailer, rather than some independent seller on eBay. You can also use SD Insight to get more details about your current card (although I don't think it reports the class).

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the key statement the OP made was "Old SD card that I had laying around." Most new SD cards are class 6 or above. I had an 8 gig card from my original moto droid that I continued to use when I got my Bionic. I think it was like a class 2 or 4. I put it in my M8 and got the same notification pop up when I first played around with the zoe function. Needless to say, I went ahead and upgraded to a class 10 64gig card. Works flawless!

Oddly enough, I had the same thing (I think mine was 16GB). Had it in my old LG Lucid and it worked fine, but it wouldn't play nice with my M8 so I got a class 10 32GB card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000