I purchased an HTC One M8 (HK edition) at the end of Sept so I've had less than two months. This past weekend it started rebooting itself approximately every 5 minutes. It only does this when it is using battery power, if it is plugged in and charging it is fine. Sprint did a factory reset in the store and HTC walked me through one via live chat and I'm still having the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution other than repairing/replacing? The fact that it doesn't do it when it is plugged in makes me wonder if it is a battery problem but I really have no idea.
    11-13-2014 01:37 PM
    Sounds like a dendritic short in the battery. Simple fix - new battery. (Even though it's technically a manufacturing defect [they know it can happen, but they keep pputting out batteries it can happen to], Sprint probably won't cover it under warranty. The battery is only about U$20, but the phone has to be opened to replace it (which would void the warranty if you did it - HTC is loose with their warranty, but not that loose).

You might get away with asking that they just replace the phone under warranty. (Dendrites are a problem, but only in a small percentage of batteries.)
    11-13-2014 01:46 PM
    Thank you that is helpful info. I've gotten a lot of runaround and no straight answers. You're right, Sprint won't cover it since I didn't buy their insurance. (Well, they will, if I want to give them $75 and have them order a refurbished phone.) I've asked HTC to replace the phone under warranty. I had to push them to do so and they finally "approved" replacement, only to tell me that they currently have none available.

I can try to research but you may know offhand.....is it "ok/safe" to continue to charge this phone, if in fact that (dendritic short in the battery) is the problem?
    11-13-2014 02:23 PM