Why is the charging finniky when I plug my phone in at a low battery percentage?

I have owned my M8 for roughly a month now and I love it. I made the switch from IOS to android and it was an excellent decision! My one problem is that after I got the 4.4.4 update and I plug my phone in when its less than 20-25% it will charge for maybe a minute then it will stop charging. It will though charge with my old iPhone charger with no problems.

Do I just continue to use the iPhone one when the battery gets low? Will that hurt anything? Why did HTC include such a weak charger? Are there any other chargers I could buy so it'll work without having to switch all the time.

I really like this phone I just want to make sure I take care of it. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-14-2014 01:53 PM
    Why is the charging finniky when I plug my phone in at a low battery percentage?

I have owned my M8 for roughly a month now and I love it. I made the switch from IOS to android and it was an excellent decision! My one problem is that after I got the 4.4.4 update and I plug my phone in when its less than 20-25% it will charge for maybe a minute then it will stop charging. It will though charge with my old iPhone charger with no problems.

Do I just continue to use the iPhone one when the battery gets low? Will that hurt anything? Why did HTC include such a weak charger? Are there any other chargers I could buy so it'll work without having to switch all the time.

I really like this phone I just want to make sure I take care of it. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

That's a little odd. But if the iPhone charger works fine all the time, that's no problem. Won't hurt it at all. I'm assuming you're using the same cable with a different wall wart.
    11-14-2014 01:59 PM
    Thanks. Yes I am using the stock cord and the iPhone wall attachment.

11-14-2014 02:25 PM
    You need to be careful with wall chargers some times as they have higher voltages for quicker charges but at the cost of reduced battery life in the near future.
    11-14-2014 04:50 PM
    Sounds like the OEM charger is defective. At lower charge levels, the battery can accept a higher charge rate. Normally the charge rate backs off as the battery fills up. The OEM charger can handle that higher rate, so that's why I'm thinking yours is simply defective. If you don't want to bother trying to exchange it, just make sure the charger you are using is rated at least the same or better (1.5A).

Just as a side note, lithium based batteries don't like deep discharges like that. Even if you keep using another charger, it would still be advisable to charge before 40% and unplug once full for the best lifespan. Even a partial charge during the day would be better than a deep discharge. Something to consider since it's a non-replaceable battery.
    11-14-2014 04:54 PM
    So if I wanted to go buy a new wall charger would there be any you guys would recommend?

11-14-2014 07:00 PM
    Get the pure gear quick charge 2.0 charger.

11-14-2014 08:15 PM
    I don't have any personal preference, but I'd consider a Quick Charge 2.0 charger too now that they are out. They are more expensive and you only really see the time savings when the battery has a low charge level. After about 75%, the chargers begin slowing down. It's like filling a bucket with water. At full blast from the hose, it'll start spilling over the top early, but if you reduce the pressure, it'll fill to the top. Batteries are the same way in a sense. So if you don't discharge it much at a time, it'll actually not perform much faster than the stock charger.
    11-14-2014 09:24 PM
    You need to be careful with wall chargers some times as they have higher voltages for quicker charges but at the cost of reduced battery life in the near future.
    For all intents and purposes, no he doesn't. This constant fear mongering about using different wall chargers is patently absurd.

11-14-2014 10:44 PM
    So if I wanted to go buy a new wall charger would there be any you guys would recommend?

I know the chargers are cheap but if the phone is new, call the carrier and tell them to send you a new charger or go to the store.

Also I have Amazon.com: Anker® 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Nokia and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I like it, but make sure you get the non fuse,but circuit breaker version.
    11-15-2014 08:49 AM
    I know the chargers are cheap but if the phone is new, call the carrier and tell them to send you a new charger or go to the store.

Also I have Amazon.com: Anker® 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Nokia and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I like it, but make sure you get the non fuse,but circuit breaker version.
    That's an absurd recommendation for someone just looking for a wall charger.

11-15-2014 10:42 AM
    For all intents and purposes, no he doesn't. This constant fear mongering about using different wall chargers is patently absurd.

This is true. The phones themselves control the charging. Its practically impossible to overcharge a phone. Even if you use a higher amp charger, if the phone isn't set up for it, it'll only accept what it can handle.

But also like stated above, lithium batteries wear out quicker if constantly drained all the way. They like to be charged.

Posted via Android Central App
    kct1975 likes this.
    11-15-2014 01:58 PM

11-15-2014 02:09 PM

What is absurb,YOUR RESPONSE or the recommendation not to buy a new charger and ask the carrier for a replacement or my just my recommendation of a charger to charge the 2 or more phone's like the op mentioned he owned.
    11-15-2014 02:14 PM
    Hope you find a good one man.
    11-15-2014 04:46 PM
    What is absurb,YOUR RESPONSE or the recommendation not to buy a new charger and ask the carrier for a replacement or my just my recommendation of a charger to charge the 2 or more phone's like the op mentioned he owned.
    Nah

11-15-2014 05:24 PM
    Not to mention that until the recent offerings of QC2.0, all chargers output @ 5V according to the USB standards. So it was near impossible to charge a phone any faster than OEM designed unless it was defective or maybe something changed after rooting it first.

QC2 chargers do output at a higher voltage, but from what I've read, only if the phone is designed for it. On a traditional phone, a QC2 charger defaults back to 5V to remain backwards compatible.
    11-15-2014 06:30 PM
    Not to mention that until the recent offerings of QC2.0, all chargers output @ 5V according to the USB standards. So it was near impossible to charge a phone any faster than OEM designed unless it was defective or maybe something changed after rooting it first.

QC2 chargers do output at a higher voltage, but from what I've read, only if the phone is designed for it. On a traditional phone, a QC2 charger defaults back to 5V to remain backwards compatible.
    You are correct as usual. On my N5, my Moto Turbo Charger charges normally.

11-15-2014 11:34 PM