Why is my HTC One M8 turning off and losing battery charge?

SrirachaSauce

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
HTC One M8: Turns off and loses battery charge

My HTC M8 is about a month old, and a few days ago it turned off while I was using it at about 60% charge, I couldn't turn it back on until I got home and plug into the charger and it said that the battery was at 0%. There were no problems with the phone after that for a few days but it just happened again today, and I'm wondering if I was it is a battery problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8: Turns off and loses battery charge

Welcome to Android Central! It's always possible for a battery to be defective and start failing prematurely. But I wonder if it could also be a rogue app that is malfunctioning. You could try running it in Safe Mode, which prevents 3rd party apps from starting up, but it can be hard to pinpoint the problem if it's only occurring every few days. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10853

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8: Turns off and loses battery charge

If the battery really is going from 60-0% instantly and shutting off the phone, I doubt it's a rouge app. Even running at full throttle on the process, you still wouldn't run it down anywhere near that quick. My guess is either a bad battery or bad battery connection. If the phone got extra hot when this happened, then the battery is likely short circuiting internally. Either way, sounds like a defect and time for a warranty claim. :(