For how many hours i should charge my new htc one m8??

Alexandros1

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Many people told me that when i get it out of the box i should charge it for 8 hours, others told me that i should wait until it hits 0% then i charge it for 8 hours so i am kind of confused right now pleas ehlpe?

~~ Thanks!!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
NEVER run the phone until charging it the first time. That's batterycide.

Charge it until the phone tells you it's fully charged. Use it - without charging it - until the phone tells you to charge it. Go through 3 cycles like that. (It's called conditioning the battery.) If the battery is new it doesn't need to be conditioned, but you can't tell how long it's been sitting on the battery maker's shelf or the phone manufacturer's shelf before you got it, and conditioning doesn't hurt. Running a battery that's been sitting for a few months without conditioning it cuts its life short, so do it to every battery you get, and any time the battery's been sitting for a few months. (NEVER store a battery in the phone for months - always remove it to store it, and leave it at about a 40% charge.)

If you want to learn about lithium batteries, read the battery course starting at BU-701: How to Prime Batteries – Battery University Cadex has no axe to grind, they don't make batteries, they make battery analysis equipment, so they've analyzed (and tortured and killed) enough batteries to know what they're talking about. (But you'll still get arguments from the experts about conditioning - some say that modern batteries don't need it. All I know is that my 10 year old V551 batteries, after a long storage and conditioning, still give me just about full life.)

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
NEVER run the phone until charging it the first time. That's batterycide.

Utter hog wash. You think that battery hasn't been run a bit already? You think the first time that battery is turned on is the first time tat battery is used?

OP, you have to nothing of the sort. Just start using your phone. Charge is whenever you want to. Doesn't make one bit of difference you'll ever notice. The phone will be a paperweight in your drawer long before you ever notice any change in battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9029232)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
NEVER leave the battery plugged in for a long period after it is fully charged. That is how you really mess up your battery. I completely messed up my iPod because i left it plugged in for few days and now the battery life is awful

Posted via a Rooted AT&T LG G3

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
NEVER leave the battery plugged in for a long period after it is fully charged. That is how you really mess up your battery. I completely messed up my iPod because i left it plugged in for few days and now the battery life is awful

Posted via a Rooted AT&T LG G3

This was true for older batteries. Newer ones are harder to damage that way.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This was true for older batteries. Newer ones are harder to damage that way.

Lithium batteries are still affected by extended high charge levels. These batteries are most happy with medium charge levels if you want the absolute best life.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If the M8's Lithium Polymer battery bears the same traits as Lithium Ion batteries, usage should be pretty consistent, though I'd be a bit wary once the phone hits 10%.

As for overcharging, most charging ports nowadays are optimized to cut the current of electricity going through it when it reaches 100% automatically and restarts the current once it dips down to 99% so it shouldn't be an issue, though I highly suggest refraining from unplugging it and replugging the cable immediately or in a short amount of time to charge it because it simply bumps down to 99-96% after taking it off the charger.

U WOT M8

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
As for overcharging, most charging ports nowadays are optimized to cut the current of electricity going through it when it reaches 100% automatically and restarts the current once it dips down to 99% so it shouldn't be an issue, though I highly suggest refraining from unplugging it and replugging the cable immediately or in a short amount of time to charge it because it simply bumps down to 99-96% after taking it off the charger.

The problem with leaving it plugged in isn't over charging, it's holding at what's considered a high charge level. From everything I've read on lithium based rechargeables, remaining at a full charge can lower their lifespan. That's why when you get a new one, it only has a partial "storage" charge. If you are shelving a phone for a long time, you'd want to do the same, getting it no more than 75% charged before shutting down and putting away. It prevents the high charge damage and allows for long term storage without becoming under charged from the natural discharge. Even a disconnected Li-ion/Li-po will discharge a tiny amount over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781