GPS icon will not go away

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, my GPS satellite dish keeps staying on. Its draining my battery and using data. I'm not sure what's causing it to do this. I've closed all apps and even turned location services off. Any ideas how to get this to go away?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 41370.jpg
    41370.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 120

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an M8 but you might have an app running in background that is scanning GPS. I would try starting the phone in safe mode and see if GPS goes off. If it does then you have a rogue app that is constantly scanning GPS.

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
This started happening to me last night too. Been on a charger for 4 hours and the icon is flashing, phone's hot and my location services are off. Ugh...

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh my God, this started happening to my phone yesterday as well. It would not go away. I've reset all my apps, turned off GPS and it still would show up. So I just did a factory reset, we'll see how this goes. I'm running 4.4.3 on AT&T,

shadwellal

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I had this with Boingo WiFi hotspot finder. Uninstalled the app. Problem solved. Could be something similar.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm so happy to see others having this problem! It's driving me crazy! I've tried stopping so many apps, but it just keeps doing it. In fact, it even comes on when I turn GPS off completely?!?!

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
For those having this problem, open your M8 Settings, go to Location, and you will see a list of apps that are using GPS.

If any of them has (High battery use) written under it, then that app most likely causing the problem, as it could also run in the background and auto-enable the GPS.

As an example of the apps that does it that is (Numberbook)

Sent from my HTC One M8

dario999

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
For those having this problem, open your M8 Settings, go to Location, and you will see a list of apps that are using GPS.

If any of them has (High battery use) written under it, then that app most likely causing the problem, as it could also run in the background and auto-enable the GPS.

As an example of the apps that does it that is (Numberbook)

Sent from my HTC One M8

In this case I think something else is going on. Location is turned off but the GPS icon now pops up a lot. Not constant like others but the behavior has definitely changed in the last few days. My guess is Google pushed an update to Google Services causing this change. Or the recent HTC Service Pack did something. How else can you explain Gps is off, Location is off, but the GPS icon pops when turning phone off, turning phone on, and periodically all day? Crap like this makes me want to pop the sim back in my iPhone 6,

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I posted in the AT&T carrier forums hours ago. I'm glad to see others with this issue. I've killed all running apps and it still does it. On calls as well.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
In this case I think something else is going on. Location is turned off but the GPS icon now pops up a lot. Not constant like others but the behavior has definitely changed in the last few days. My guess is Google pushed an update to Google Services causing this change. Or the recent HTC Service Pack did something. How else can you explain Gps is off, Location is off, but the GPS icon pops when turning phone off, turning phone on, and periodically all day? Crap like this makes me want to pop the sim back in my iPhone 6,
Did you read the part where I mentioned that some apps has the ability to run in the background and auto-enable GPS?

Can you post a screenshot of your M8 Location page? I need to see what kind of apps you have that are using GPS.

By the way, my M8 is running 4.4.4 and I don't have any problems with its GPS.

Sent from my HTC One M8

dario999

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I did but did you read my part that said I have location turned off? I have nothing in there even when turned on just Google Location Reporting but it is still off and I get that icon regardless.

I do agree, something is triggering this, obviously. Google or 3rd party but not from what you see in Location. Blank slate there.

Last edited:

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I did but did you read my part that said I have location turned off? I have nothing in there even when turned on just Google Location Reporting but it is still off and I get that icon regardless.

I do agree, something is triggering this, obviously. Google or 3rd party but not from what you see in Location. Blank slate there.

Did you ever figure the issue out? I'm getting ready to do a warranty exchange since I've tried almost everything. Same issues. Nothing in location at all. Nothing on gsam. Att or htc have no clue.
Thanks.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Alright, here is what you can do, go to the PlayStore and install All-In-One Toolbox, after that install the Permission Check Plugin which also available on the PlayStore.

Once done, open All-In-One Toolbox, tap on ToolBox, go to Plugins and open Permission Check Plugin, finally tap on LOCATION APPS.

Now you should see a list of all the installed apps that has access to use GPS.

Once you have that list, you can go to M8's Settings, open Apps, tap on the first app of the list above, and Disable it, do the same for the other apps on the list.

Once the GPS icon is gone it means you have found the app causing the problem, uninstall it to solve the issue, and Enable the other apps that you have disabled in the process.

If you know what you are doing, this whole process shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Last edited:

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Alright, here is what you can do, go to the PlayStore and install All-In-One Toolbox, after that install the Permission Check Plugin which also available on the PlayStore.

Once done, open All-In-One Toolbox, tap on ToolBox, go to Plugins and open Permission Check Plugin, finally tap on LOCATION APPS.

Now you should see a list of all the installed apps that has access to use GPS.

Once you have that list, you can go to M8's Settings, open Apps, tap on the first app of the list above, and Disable it, do the same for the other apps on the list.

Once the GPS icon is gone it means you have found the app causing the problem, uninstall it to solve the issue, and Enable the other apps that you have disabled in the process.

If you know what you are doing, this whole process shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Sent from my HTC One M8

What app was causing this issue for you?

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I noticed when I'm on WiFi, this doesn't happen. There was a HTC service pack update last night, hopefully this resolved the issue. I'll post later once I'm off WiFi.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
My phone seems to be doing better. Not as much GPS icons through the day, nor does it stay on constantly. I think the new HTC service packed patched the error. The service packed said it was bug fixes.

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Not mine. Still can't find the issue. Replacement phone is the only option I was told. I've tried different apps to see what was running and it shows nothing.
Anyone else have anything going on or fixes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze