I have tried to update my Verizon HTC One M8 from 4.4.2 about a dozen times now, and it fails every time. I have tried to update through the software update on the phone over Wifi, and have also tried through the HTC Sync Manager on my Mac with the phone connected via USB.

The update downloads apparently fine (annoying that it has to re-download every single time I try), and the phone makes it part-way through the update and then just comes back with a message that says "The update has failed".

Anyone know what could be causing this? How can I update my phone if I can't do it through either the software update on the phone or through the HTC Sync Manager on my laptop?

Thanks!

---

Edit - I guess I can't reply so I have to edit the original question. The phone is completely stock, never done anything to it.

I've dealt with the local verizon store here before - they're complete idiots. Any other advice, or is taking it to the store really the only way?
    12-14-2014 04:55 PM
    If the ROM is rooted (you root the ROM, not the phone), or the ROM isn't the stock one, the update will fail - because updating a non-stock ROM, or one that's been changed by things that need root, can brick the phone.

If the phone was never rooted, and it's running the stock ROM, bring it into a Verizon company store and ask if they could please update it for you because it keeps failing the OTA update. (Your local store may not do updates, but they'll be able to tell you the location of the store that does.)

(Don't mention using Sync Manager, just the over the air [OTA] updates.)

Make sure you back everything that's not backed up already. They may decide to just replace your phone with an updated one.
    12-14-2014 05:28 PM