Difference between kingston class 10 and class 4 please??

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The difference is the speed at which it transfers files. If you are going to be setting your phone to save photos/videos to your sd card, a higher class is recomended. Especially for video/zoe function.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The only difference is file transfer speeds for both read/write operations. For most uses, a Class 4 should be fine, but if you plan on shooting a lot of Full-HD video or 2K/4K video, then you need the faster transfer rates if you don't want to end up with a fried card or lost packets.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Class number is actually megabytes per second of stream data (IOW, a continuous flow), so a Class 4 card can do 4mbps, a Class 10 card can do 10mbps. With UHS cards, Class 1 is 10mbps and Class 3 is 30mbps. For 4k video you need a UHS Class 3 card (that's what they're designed for). For standard HD video (1080i), a Class 4 card is a little faster than needed, so it'll do fine. (The speeds that the card is rated at are worst case minimum speeds, so a Class 4 card may actually be able to sustain 5mbps write speed - just don't count on more than the class rating.)

BTW, there are only 2 factories in the world making the chips for those cards, SanDisk and Samsung. Everyone else buys chips from them. I don't have any personal knowledge of whether they're buying top-of-the-line chips or rejects, but I've been in this business long enough to know who knows what he's talking about and who's passing on rumors, and I'll only buy SanDisk cards. Samsung cards are probably just as good, but if you ever have a problem, SanDisk is very easy to work with - just use their live chat on their website and they'll do whatever they can to fix a legitimate complaint. (I broke the covering on a microUSB card with my fingernail - I didn't complain to them because that's my fault, not theirs.)

Yes, it costs a little more (unless you catch a great sale - 64GB UHS-1 SanDisk cards were on sale about a week ago for about $28), but the customer service and peace of mind is worth it. And when I say "if you ever have a problem", I mean "if". I still have working 256MB cards and I think, somewhere, I have a 32MB stick - which is so old it was considered revolutionary at the time. And the last time I used it, it still worked. I have a few dead "other brand" cards in my "reminder" drawer - a reminder to never buy them again. You want the card to outlast its usefulness. The 16GB cards I used back in Gingerbread days are still working, but a Class 4 16GB card today? It wouldn't hold even 3 nandroid backups.

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I would avoid Kingston and buy a fast card.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/472823-best-fastest-sd-card.html

It will affect the general performance of your device.. ie, picture thumbnails will takes ages to load, there is a delay in saving pics to your card if you choose SD card for photo storage (I missed a lot of shots because of this), also apps on your SD card can take a while to load (spotify would take an age to load playlists).

I'm not talking a little laggy, I'm talking infuriatingly slow. My M8 experience was nearly ruined by the card.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
outside of the card performance, how fast does the phone read or write is just as important. I doubt the the phone is above class 4, so class 10 will not give you any improvement bwtween 2 top rated class 10 or 4 cards. AI cheap class 4 card might see issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca