Why does my wifi stutter and is slow sometimes (only specific router)?

airtas

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Wifi stutters and is slow sometimes, only specific router

Wifi on my HTC One seems to lock up, stutter and pictures etc are slow to load.
If I turn off Wifi and back on everything is fine for a couple minutes.
Then things slow down again.

I restored my phone (google backup was on though), replaced the router (with the same router).

Everything worked fine up until 2 weeks ago.

Wifi on other routers works fine.
Could I have old cache somewhere?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wifi stutters and is slow sometimes, only specific router

Check the router's Wireless security encryption. If it's TKIP or TKIP+AES, change it to AES. (A minor update to your phone could have given you he change that's causing a lot of phones to have fits with TKIP.) If that doesn't do it, and your router has a guest mode, try that. If that fixes it, you have the problem. You don't want to run with no security, so you need a router that still works with the new implementations of wifi security in some versions of Android on some phones. The Netgear N300 is only $35 (or was, when I bought one to try to fix the problem at my house about a month ago) and works fine with WPA2-PSK [AES]. You have the security, you have the speed and it's cheap. Linksys knows about the problem and doesn't seem to care (at least 2 of us here have reported it to them - I got one of those "you'll have to pay for us to fix the problem" speeches - on an in-warranty router, the other guy got a "we'll look into it" response). I understand D-Link has the same problem. So 2 of the 3 quality router manufacturers are useless now. (I wouldn't buy anything but Linksys since they first came out. And my WRT54G worked fine with my phone until it finally decided to die of old age. My 3-times-the-price Linksys replacement is keeping the shelf from flying away now.)

airtas

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Wifi stutters and is slow sometimes, only specific router

I disabled IPv6 on my router and so far things look better.
Should this be disabled, what does it do?

Only reason I tried it was because the other brand router had it off.
Still weird that it was working before with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12