10-24-2016 12:10 AM
114 12345
tools
    I cannot say that I experience continuously lag issues on my phone, but I still do get the very occasional lag. I actually use Clean Master to clean out the junk built up on the phone, as well as carry a RAM boost. It may not work for everyone but it definitely works for me. Try it, it will not harm your phone (just make sure you do not select photos to be deleted when using the junk cleaner).
    03-04-2015 11:26 AM
    you are my hero i was going to sell it for this problem
    03-10-2015 03:36 AM
    Untick "Use NuPlayer" in Developer options.
    shinynic likes this.
    03-10-2015 05:12 PM
    Untick "Use NuPlayer" in Developer options.
    To solve WHAT problem?
    03-10-2015 05:20 PM
    To solve the audio related issues with facebook and messenger. The lag issues. Worked well for me.
    03-10-2015 07:53 PM
    To solve the audio related issues with facebook and messenger. The lag issues. Worked well for me.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    I have no lag, and i have NuPlayer turned on, but don't use Facebook.
    03-10-2015 08:30 PM
    Indeed. I don't have a requirement for the type of supported streams, or floating point audio. Reminds me of the oss/alsa days of Linux with randomness.
    03-10-2015 10:04 PM
    Thanks Vishfood and everyone else.

I was frustrated by the lag I've been experiencing since yesterday afternoon until I found this thread!

1 - I had to figure out how to turn my developer options on since it's not just automatically there like it used to be, but I didn't see the option I was looking for (select runtime). So I'm assuming it automatically changed to ART and I can't change it back and forth? If that's not the case, can someone possibly tell me where that option is? Just for future reference.
    2- Tried the power off, wait 10 seconds, power on. No change.
    3 - I tried just turning off the in-app sounds for Facebook a bit ago, before getting to page 3, and that helped a little but not enough.
    4 - I entered Recovery mode after my phone was off for like a minute to clear the cache partition. THIS worked. I'm not sure I would have ever thought to do this without this thread. lol. <3
    5 - Even though I mostly fixed the issue, I was still lagging with messenger then I saw Vishfood's suggestion to turn off Use NuPlayer. This greatly helped as well as clearing the cache partition. I'm not sure I understand his comment about what it's for, but it's making my messengers work properly again...so thanks.

I'm also not sure how my battery is doing yet since it was fairly low when I started fiddling with it to figure out why it was laggy. Hopefully improved, like you all have mentioned! I did note that it now feels almost as fast, if not faster, than when I got the phone and first used it. I should point out that my phone was so laggy last night that I accidentally sent my friend 10 of the same hug smiley on messenger. XD

Oh, one more thing: So Fast Boot is not longer available? I mean, it doesn't seem to need it now, but just curious if it's completely gone or just moved? I think that's everything I wanted to say...Maybe.

Thanks again everyone.
    03-17-2015 10:12 PM
    Just because I really don't think an OS should be rolled out if it's going to require a full system restore, I haven't tried that yet. I disabled NuPlayer, cleared my cache partition, rebooted phone multiple times, currently in process of letting battery fully die then fully recharging..

My issue is that my texts are SUPER laggy. Like, the keyboard doesn't keep up with what I'm typing and takes 5-15 seconds before it shows on the screen. Also, if I'm IN the text message history of a person, and they reply to me, the text message doesn't show up in the message history. I have to leave the 'Messages' app and then go back in for the message to populate.

I also tried uninstalling HTC Dot View and Scribble updates (from another Google search) and still have had no luck.

There has to be a root cause to this issue. My phone was working like a charm until I did the Lollipop upgrade. Ever since, texting is a real struggle. Is there a way to debug your texting application and find the nested processes to find the root problem? I wouldn't mind going on such an adventure if it would mean my phone would work like an actual Smart phone.

EDIT: After running out of ideas, I did a backup of all of my SMS text messages, backed them up to my Google Drive, and then cleared them all out of my internal storage on my phone. Texts are working back to normal. I believe my large index of text message with certain people (2,000+ messages) was making the phone lag and it seems doing this fixed the issue. Used SMS Backup & Restore app for this.
    03-18-2015 07:32 PM
    Double post. See my other one below. Sorry.
    03-30-2015 09:34 AM
    I can confirm NUPlayer being the culprit for the lag. I disabled it and for the past two days have not had one ounce of lag. Its amazing how many things Lollipop let's my phone do at once. (Streaming [redacted] for my son, snapping pics of my son, sending them to his mother, while surfing FB at the same time all with no lag.

To disable NUPlayer:

Settings>about>software>more>build number and tap it 5 times to enter developer mode.

Then:

Settings> Developer Mode> find NUplayer in options and deselect it.

Also. For those that are having issues with Google Play Services. There is an app that helps.(Battery drain, constant notifications to update etc) Gservicesfix. DL and follow the instructions. I easily get 28-34 hours on a full charge now. Since having my phone since launch day. This is quite the treat.
    03-30-2015 09:41 AM
    I can confirm NUPlayer being the culprit for the lag. I disabled it and for the past two days have not had one ounce of lag. Its amazing how many things Lollipop let's my phone do at once. (Streaming [redacted] for my son, snapping pics of my son, sending them to his mother, while surfing FB at the same time all with no lag.

To disable NUPlayer:

Settings>about>software>more>build number and tap it 5 times to enter developer mode.

Then:

THANK YOU! This seems to have fixed the problem for me. I would recommend trying this first before anything else!
    04-05-2015 10:47 PM

To disable NUPlayer:

Then:

Also. For those that are having issues with Google Play Services. There is an app that helps.(Battery drain, constant notifications to update etc) Gservicesfix. DL and follow the instructions. I easily get 28-34 hours on a full charge now. Since having my phone since launch day. This is quite the treat.

The problem is not NuPlayer.
    Its Facebook plus NuPlayer.

For those of us who don't user Facebook (And even have it disabled), there has never been a lag problem. Ever.

I've had NuPlayer on and Off, and never had any lag. It made zero difference at all. It isn't NuPlayer. If turning off NuPlayer fixes Facebook, well, good. Put the problem is Facebook is still the culprit, and blaming NuPlayer just gives facebook a pass to install crap software and not fix it,
    04-05-2015 11:11 PM
    I have definitely noticed major lag on the native messenger app. Lag that is bad enough to crash the whole app. Whether I type too fast, try to add a picture, or receive a text while typing it crashes. Plus a little lag when using the keyboard for anything including the android central app. Not as bad as the messenger but enough to be a nuisance. Go SMS Pro works for me until they fix this issue or I root and install a custom ROM on my baby.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-12-2015 06:34 AM
    I get this message when it crashes after lagging for five seconds.

Attached Thumbnails Why is my HTC One M8 lagging after Lollipop 5.0 update?-35361.jpg  
    04-12-2015 06:40 AM
    This is what happens whenever I try to view my messages. Never had lag like this or any kind before this update. :/

Attached Thumbnails Why is my HTC One M8 lagging after Lollipop 5.0 update?-34763.jpg  
    04-12-2015 06:41 AM
    I get this message when it crashes after lagging for five seconds.

I'm getting this too. A perfectly good phone barely functional (I mostly use my phone for its intended purposes-communication/internet surfing). My browser has crashed already too, let's see if that's just the first of more to come.
    04-13-2015 01:12 AM
    Same problem here, my One M8 runs like crap with Lollipop. Lots of lag and the messenger app is terrible now. I guess ATT wants me to buy a new phone, not sure how long I can tolerate this. I've done all the suggested fixes and nothing works. I'm relatively new to Android but I guess the lesson here is never do major Android version updates on an existing phone.
    04-13-2015 09:15 PM
    After the Lollipop update my ATT M8 lagged very bad on messages. It also the stop error cherrymustang listed previously. I deleted about 7,000 messages all on my phone since I bought last year and no more issues. Lollipop has been great on my M8 ever since.
    04-14-2015 12:15 AM
    After the Lollipop update my ATT M8 lagged very bad on messages. It also the stop error cherrymustang listed previously. I deleted about 7,000 messages all on my phone since I bought last year and no more issues. Lollipop has been great on my M8 ever since.
    I tried that but no luck, my entire phone lags with Lollipop on my M8. For example I just ended a call and it stays locked on the "end call" screen for many seconds, pressing buttons does nothing. Then after a few seconds you hear all your button presses happen at once and then it exits. Or you exit an app and all your home screns are blank and you have to wait many seconds for them to all repopulate. Or I run the email app and it takes many seconds to load now, and when it finally loads you see a blank screen. You then have to wait for the app to eventually start displaying things, and then when you can finally use the app it's like it's running in slow motion. All button presses take a lot of time to respond to, so like pressing the task manager button takes a few seconds to respond and then you see it slowly populating all the apps on the grid view.

My phone has really become unbearable to use to where I've stopped checking emails and doing other things on it, instead I just wait until I'm near my laptop and do them all there. I have no idea what's going on but it's infuriating that a software update ruined my phone.
    04-15-2015 02:30 PM
    Have you tried a factory reset? I really wanted to avoid it since it's a huge hassle getting everything working again, including some custom apps I use for work. But I just did it yesterday because I was having serious problems with the phone since the Lollipop upgrade, with the phone getting hot to the touch with nothing really running. It would also sometimes take a few seconds before the keyboard would pop up or sometimes playing back music, it would take 10-15 seconds before starting to play.

So I reset last night and all day today, it's been eye opening how fast the phone is now. It's absolutely amazing how much faster it is now.
    Super Dave426 likes this.
    04-15-2015 05:28 PM
    I haven't tried factory reset because I also use the phone for work. I guess I'll have to block an hour sometime to try that, and deal with the pain of resetting all my apps and settings, ugh.
    04-15-2015 08:02 PM
    i still have Kitkat on my m8...seems like i won't update it anytime soon
    04-16-2015 03:08 AM
    Running 5.01 on my m8, no issues here. Runs smooth battery seems to be lasting a bit longer. Happy HTC user..
    04-16-2015 06:21 AM
    So far, so good. Everything running smoothly on 5.02 with my AT&T M8. The only annoyance is the persistent GPS activation bug that's been around since the KitKat days.
    04-16-2015 07:07 AM
114 12345