Why is my HTC One M8 lagging after Lollipop 5.0 update?

Charles Hinkle

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 Lagging after Lollypop 5.0

After the Lollipop update my ATT M8 lagged very bad on messages. It also the stop error cherrymustang listed previously. I deleted about 7,000 messages all on my phone since I bought last year and no more issues. Lollipop has been great on my M8 ever since.

joker454

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

After the Lollipop update my ATT M8 lagged very bad on messages. It also the stop error cherrymustang listed previously. I deleted about 7,000 messages all on my phone since I bought last year and no more issues. Lollipop has been great on my M8 ever since.

I tried that but no luck, my entire phone lags with Lollipop on my M8. For example I just ended a call and it stays locked on the "end call" screen for many seconds, pressing buttons does nothing. Then after a few seconds you hear all your button presses happen at once and then it exits. Or you exit an app and all your home screns are blank and you have to wait many seconds for them to all repopulate. Or I run the email app and it takes many seconds to load now, and when it finally loads you see a blank screen. You then have to wait for the app to eventually start displaying things, and then when you can finally use the app it's like it's running in slow motion. All button presses take a lot of time to respond to, so like pressing the task manager button takes a few seconds to respond and then you see it slowly populating all the apps on the grid view.

My phone has really become unbearable to use to where I've stopped checking emails and doing other things on it, instead I just wait until I'm near my laptop and do them all there. I have no idea what's going on but it's infuriating that a software update ruined my phone.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried a factory reset? I really wanted to avoid it since it's a huge hassle getting everything working again, including some custom apps I use for work. But I just did it yesterday because I was having serious problems with the phone since the Lollipop upgrade, with the phone getting hot to the touch with nothing really running. It would also sometimes take a few seconds before the keyboard would pop up or sometimes playing back music, it would take 10-15 seconds before starting to play.

So I reset last night and all day today, it's been eye opening how fast the phone is now. It's absolutely amazing how much faster it is now.

joker454

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

I haven't tried factory reset because I also use the phone for work. I guess I'll have to block an hour sometime to try that, and deal with the pain of resetting all my apps and settings, ugh.

snakey#AC

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Running 5.01 on my m8, no issues here. Runs smooth battery seems to be lasting a bit longer. Happy HTC user..

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

So far, so good. Everything running smoothly on 5.02 with my AT&T M8. The only annoyance is the persistent GPS activation bug that's been around since the KitKat days.

joker454

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

Ok I tried a factory reset and so far so good, the phone is running quickly again. Hopefully this lasts! I don't understand why we still have to factory reset in 2015, but so it goes. At least it's all working now, it was about two hours of pain resetting everything but it's all smooth as butter once again.

cafran

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
The AT&T Lollipop update has basically rendered my HTC One M8 useless. Boot time is 4-5 minutes where is was 30 seconds prior to update. There used to be a setting for quick start up when booting on (not restart) and I can no longer find it in settings. The keyboard will not load frequently, phone locks, battery life decline, delay in opening apps, etc. Is it safe to rollback to Kit-Kat and if so, how is that done? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Ok I tried a factory reset and so far so good, the phone is running quickly again. Hopefully this lasts! I don't understand why we still have to factory reset in 2015, but so it goes. At least it's all working now, it was about two hours of pain resetting everything but it's all smooth as butter once again.

Unfortunately, the best way to apply major updates to any device is to factory reset then apply the update. Upgrading over your existing device will usually work out worse whether it's an Android phone, Windows computer or a router. Software isn't that clever and it leaves a cluttering mess in most instances.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

One thing I've noticed is that my m8 on At&t after updating is that it runs much hotter than before. GSam reports anywhere from 80F to 110 F just having the screen on browsing the Web at low brightness. I'm getting only 16hrs with maybe an hour of call time and 2.5hrs screen on.

Posted via Android Central App

FoaRyan

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

Unfortunately... Software isn't that clever and it leaves a cluttering mess in most instances.

"Smart" phones - haha. We don't have smart phones yet.

On a less jovial note, on AT&T service with the M8, my update became available a few weeks ago. I've updated and noticed my built-in text messaging app would freeze a lot. I've installed a 3rd party app instead and no longer have problems. No issues with fb... other than it's a horrible app and I only use it to dismiss notifications. I've noticed in general my battery life seems to be slightly shorter, but all in all most features run smoothly. Perhaps there is just a little bit more lag (1/10 or so of a second) than before. I have restarted (close all apps & restart, not power off/on). Going to try power off to see if that lag improves any.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
How do I do that? I have had problems for the last 6 weeks since I updated. Battery drains much much faster. Other issues too. What will I lose by doing factory reset? What will I need to remember to change back to? Thank you.
I did the Nustart thing and it did seem to make the phone more responsive. I added the Gservicefix app and it did not seem to help much. The battery draws down alot when screen is in use, more than with 4.4 The app did a thing for just a few seconds, I assume that is all its supposed to do? Thank you.

Last edited:

TSkizzle

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem with lag in the built in message app. Once I deleted all the old threads it instantly got better. Don't know if you tried that

Posted via Android Central App

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

I don't know if I'd describe it as lag necessarily but building the recent apps has become an annoyance. Press the multitasking button then wait for the longest second ever. Ha

Definitely takes away from the fluidity of multitasking.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Though I like the look of the card view, I had to switch back to the grid view. Seems much better. Time to populate might not be better but the way it populates gives me the impression that it is. Grid is HTC's default anyway so...

Aqil Bary

May 17, 2015
Visit site

Hey , i dont know about you but my m8 used to lag annoyingly... And i figured out that the gesture 'magnification' option was responsible...
go to options - accessibility - magnification gesture *off*
hope it works for you

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

My HTC One M8 is much worst since the Lolliflop update. Battery used to be great, now it sucks. It lags a lot also, used to be super smooth. Very disapointed, to be honest. Did a factory reset after the update, of course, didnt work. Is there something we can do or should we just hope for google/htc to fix it?
I used to have a great phone, almost perfect. Now its just an ok phone, imo. Lollipop was more a downgrade than a upgrade. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz