Why is my HTC One M8 lagging after Lollipop 5.0 update?

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Factory resets should be done before and/or after any major OS update. This is even more true for the Lollipop update since it is completely overhauling the app runtime (moving from Dalvik to ART). I bet this would take care of a lot of the issues people are having.

Jacob Raymond1

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I've been having similar problems since updating to lollipop 5.0.1.
I've tried rebooting, factory resetting, wiping the cache, deleting apps; the whole lot, and it hasnt helped. I'm super stuck, and relatively new to android having just switched from iPhones.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been having similar problems since updating to lollipop 5.0.1.
I've tried rebooting, factory resetting, wiping the cache, deleting apps; the whole lot, and it hasnt helped. I'm super stuck, and relatively new to android having just switched from iPhones.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Did you read the full thread before replying?

Turn off notification sound in Facebook?
Uninstall Facebook for s day to see if that helps?

If you follow the thread carefully you will see that most people traced the lag to Facebook.

Je11ss

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Mine is still lagging. I have cleared my cache, i have uninstalled and reinstalled apps and have factory reset it. it is quite frustrating, It wont let me open half of my apps, it can't keep up when i am writing a text and it lags to show new message in my inbox. :mad::mad::mad:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine is still lagging. I have cleared my cache, i have uninstalled and reinstalled apps and have factory reset it. it is quite frustrating, It wont let me open half of my apps, it can't keep up when i am writing a text and it lags to show new message in my inbox. :mad::mad::mad:

Do you run Facebook?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 Lagging after Lollypop 5.0

Mine was a bit sluggish when I first upgraded by I cleared the cache partition then did a factory reset and started new (didn't install anything from backup) and now the phone flies! Seriously fast, much more so than my nexus 5 on lollipop and probably more so than when my one m8 was brand new

Posted via the Android Central App

spewak

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I had no problems with battery discharging faster after Lolly but I did clear the cache and a few days later did a factory reset and I am pleasantly surprised at how long the battery life is with Lolly. Lolly is faster also than KK.

PHENG YOU YOU

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Ever since i updated to the new software yesterday my phone has been lagging when i open up messages but especially using the keyboard, i can basically write an entire message out before it shows and the haptic feedback kicks in.. its ridiculous.
I've power cycled, cleaned it (clean master) and its still doing it..
i don't have a lot on this phone as it is, im using 11% of my storage, i have about 20 photos, no music or videos, i keep running apps to a minimum... any advice, or at least anyone having the same issue?

I like it

Madia Audio Imach

Last edited by a moderator:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I had no problems with battery discharging faster after Lolly but I did clear the cache and a few days later did a factory reset and I am pleasantly surprised at how long the battery life is with Lolly. Lolly is faster also than KK.

And I did NONE OF THOSE THINGS!
I did have faster batter drain, but after letting it run till it powered off by itself then charged it overnight.

No reset, no cache clear. This phone is flying faster than ever. I'm 14h and 58 minutes on battery, and have 76% left, 2 days left.

People having problems should start disabling bloatware apps that they don't need, killing sounds in Facebook, and finding out what apps are using the battery.

mdell72

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same (or similar) issue since upgrading my M8 to Lollipop.

Whenever I open the stock message app, and select a message thread by tapping the contacts name, the message thread will not appear automatically as it did pre-update. The small "loading" circle will appear at the top beside their name and the messages will appear after about 5-10 seconds. In addition, I can no longer type out a message instantly - there is some strong lag, and characters do not appear as they are typed. Typically, I need to wait about 15-20 seconds now before I can type and send a text message. Occasionally, I can open the message app and use it quickly as I did before but I'd say that it only functions properly about 20% of the time. This is clearly related to the update as I had no prior issues with phone beforehand but I don't understand the root cause. I've cleared the partition and rebooted several times to no avail. I've been putting off a factory reset in the hopes that someone else has found a fix.

Jaydec89

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same (or similar) issue since upgrading my M8 to Lollipop.

Whenever I open the stock message app, and select a message thread by tapping the contacts name, the message thread will not appear automatically as it did pre-update. The small "loading" circle will appear at the top beside their name and the messages will appear after about 5-10 seconds. In addition, I can no longer type out a message instantly - there is some strong lag, and characters do not appear as they are typed. Typically, I need to wait about 15-20 seconds now before I can type and send a text message. Occasionally, I can open the message app and use it quickly as I did before but I'd say that it only functions properly about 20% of the time. This is clearly related to the update as I had no prior issues with phone beforehand but I don't understand the root cause. I've cleared the partition and rebooted several times to no avail. I've been putting off a factory reset in the hopes that someone else has found a fix.

I've got the exact same issue. I do not have Facebook installed on my device, so that is not the issue. I am, however, using SwiftKey.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got the exact same issue. I do not have Facebook installed on my device, so that is not the issue. I am, however, using SwiftKey.

Are you sure you don't have Facebook? Seems to me that it came on the phone, and the best you can do is disabled it.

Settings your message purge limits lower might help too. Walking long message chain can be slow, especially if they become corrupted.

The hangout app is finally competent enough to handle sms, as well as hangouts and that might be another solution.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I had to change the Google Play services to the 438 lollipop version because it stayed on the 38 Kit Kat version after the update. Not sure if that happened to anyone else but it caused irratic behaviour.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I had to change the Google Play services to the 438 lollipop version because it stayed on the 38 Kit Kat version after the update. Not sure if that happened to anyone else but it caused irratic behaviour.

How did you know that you had to do this, what was your clue?
How did you know it was the source of the erratic (yes erratic is how it is spelled) behavior?

Apps you can disable which may save battery or prevent Lag
These were found on an un-locked M8, not a carrier version:

Automotive_Traffic
FlexNet (spyware)
Frisbee Contacts
Google Play Games
Google Play Newsstand
Google+
Google Plus for HTC Sense
HTC Account
HTC DM
HTC Recommend
Instagram for HTC Sense
Kid Mode
Linkedin for HTC Sense
Location Picker
MyGoogleDrive (the one with the HTC logo)
Scribble
Skype (battery hog)
TetheringGuard
Twitter
Twitter for HTC Sense
UDove more spyware
Zoe (useless)
FlipFont (chinese characters in title)

There is also a Facebook for HTC Sense app that you can't uninstall and
you also can't disable, even if you never use facebook. This is a duplicate service, and
if you have ever configured a Facebook account this thing will launch, and you
have no control over what it does.
(All of the above carry an implied Unless you use it clause.

One package that you can't Disable in Settings/Apps is Demoflowpackageinstaller
but it can be disabled in Settings / Security / Apps with Usage Access.
I have no idea what this is.

Last edited by a moderator:

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

How did you know that you had to do this, what was your clue?
How did you know it was the source of the erratic (yes erratic is how it is spelled) behavior?

It kept asking me to update Google Services and I would click on it and there would be nothing to install. Then I went into apps and realized it still had the old one. I uninstalled it from there to get it back to factory which was the 438 version and then the play store update was available. The phone was much smoother after that.

Jaydec89

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure you don't have Facebook? Seems to me that it came on the phone, and the best you can do is disabled it.

Settings your message purge limits lower might help too. Walking long message chain can be slow, especially if they become corrupted.

The hangout app is finally competent enough to handle sms, as well as hangouts and that might be another solution.

Yes. I am sure. Thanks for asking.

way2broke

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm no expert, but have been with Android since it came to handsets. I will have to say that lollipop should of been post-poned untill it was ready for mainstream use. It almost ruined my nevus 7 2013, and has really ****ED UP MY HTC M8! We are not test bots Google....... We are humans so fix what lollipop has broken. kit Kat had a few issues but my phone was fluid and fast as it was smooth. So now after all the resetting, power offs, Cache wipes, colen cleansing, herbal battery massage and all the other **** being fed to us my phone still is damaged after lollipop 5.0.1.
Thanks Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20