Why is my HTC One M8 lagging after Lollipop 5.0 update?

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, I'm no expert, but have been with Android since it came to handsets. I will have to say that lollipop should of been post-poned untill it was ready for mainstream use. It almost ruined my nevus 7 2013, and has really ****ED UP MY HTC M8! We are not test bots Google....... We are humans so fix what lollipop has broken. kit Kat had a few issues but my phone was fluid and fast as it was smooth. So now after all the resetting, power offs, Cache wipes, colen cleansing, herbal battery massage and all the other **** being fed to us my phone still is damaged after lollipop 5.0.1.
Thanks Google.

Posted via the Android Central App

My Nexus 7 and my M8 are both great with lollipop

Renatas Mockus

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My experience about lollipop update is very bad. My Htc one m8 is not fast anymore. Have the same problems as users above.
Today was the first time since I bought it when I had to restart my phone by presing power button + volume up, because it didn't respond at all. The phone just freezed when I downloaded a torrent. It never happened before with kit kat software. While downloading the torrents I could do anything whith my phone for ex. Playing games, films, browsing Internet and etc.
I really not enjoying Lollipop so far.

cheers mate.Gonna try your advice

Last edited by a moderator:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 Lagging after Lollypop 5.0

Another general question:

Are you guys that are having all sorts of problems with lag using encrypted storage on either the phone storage or the SD card?

I'm not using encryption, and I've never had any lag, but I had two days of high battery useage. Now its better battery life than I had before.

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

I cannot say that I experience continuously lag issues on my phone, but I still do get the very occasional lag. I actually use Clean Master to clean out the junk built up on the phone, as well as carry a RAM boost. It may not work for everyone but it definitely works for me. Try it, it will not harm your phone (just make sure you do not select photos to be deleted when using the junk cleaner).

vishfood

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Indeed. :) I don't have a requirement for the type of supported streams, or floating point audio. Reminds me of the oss/alsa days of Linux with randomness.

shinynic

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Vishfood and everyone else.

I was frustrated by the lag I've been experiencing since yesterday afternoon until I found this thread!

1 - I had to figure out how to turn my developer options on since it's not just automatically there like it used to be, but I didn't see the option I was looking for (select runtime). So I'm assuming it automatically changed to ART and I can't change it back and forth? If that's not the case, can someone possibly tell me where that option is? Just for future reference.
2- Tried the power off, wait 10 seconds, power on. No change.
3 - I tried just turning off the in-app sounds for Facebook a bit ago, before getting to page 3, and that helped a little but not enough.
4 - I entered Recovery mode after my phone was off for like a minute to clear the cache partition. THIS worked. I'm not sure I would have ever thought to do this without this thread. lol. <3
5 - Even though I mostly fixed the issue, I was still lagging with messenger then I saw Vishfood's suggestion to turn off Use NuPlayer. This greatly helped as well as clearing the cache partition. I'm not sure I understand his comment about what it's for, but it's making my messengers work properly again...so thanks. :)

I'm also not sure how my battery is doing yet since it was fairly low when I started fiddling with it to figure out why it was laggy. Hopefully improved, like you all have mentioned! I did note that it now feels almost as fast, if not faster, than when I got the phone and first used it. I should point out that my phone was so laggy last night that I accidentally sent my friend 10 of the same hug smiley on messenger. XD

Oh, one more thing: So Fast Boot is not longer available? I mean, it doesn't seem to need it now, but just curious if it's completely gone or just moved? I think that's everything I wanted to say...Maybe.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Toxonuts

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Just because I really don't think an OS should be rolled out if it's going to require a full system restore, I haven't tried that yet. I disabled NuPlayer, cleared my cache partition, rebooted phone multiple times, currently in process of letting battery fully die then fully recharging..

My issue is that my texts are SUPER laggy. Like, the keyboard doesn't keep up with what I'm typing and takes 5-15 seconds before it shows on the screen. Also, if I'm IN the text message history of a person, and they reply to me, the text message doesn't show up in the message history. I have to leave the 'Messages' app and then go back in for the message to populate.

I also tried uninstalling HTC Dot View and Scribble updates (from another Google search) and still have had no luck.

There has to be a root cause to this issue. My phone was working like a charm until I did the Lollipop upgrade. Ever since, texting is a real struggle. Is there a way to debug your texting application and find the nested processes to find the root problem? I wouldn't mind going on such an adventure if it would mean my phone would work like an actual Smart phone.

EDIT: After running out of ideas, I did a backup of all of my SMS text messages, backed them up to my Google Drive, and then cleared them all out of my internal storage on my phone. Texts are working back to normal. I believe my large index of text message with certain people (2,000+ messages) was making the phone lag and it seems doing this fixed the issue. Used SMS Backup & Restore app for this.

Last edited:

action239jackson

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm NUPlayer being the culprit for the lag. I disabled it and for the past two days have not had one ounce of lag. Its amazing how many things Lollipop let's my phone do at once. (Streaming [redacted] for my son, snapping pics of my son, sending them to his mother, while surfing FB at the same time all with no lag.

To disable NUPlayer:

Settings>about>software>more>build number and tap it 5 times to enter developer mode.

Then:

Settings> Developer Mode> find NUplayer in options and deselect it.

Also. For those that are having issues with Google Play Services. There is an app that helps.(Battery drain, constant notifications to update etc) Gservicesfix. DL and follow the instructions. I easily get 28-34 hours on a full charge now. Since having my phone since launch day. This is quite the treat.

tomcatacat

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm NUPlayer being the culprit for the lag. I disabled it and for the past two days have not had one ounce of lag. Its amazing how many things Lollipop let's my phone do at once. (Streaming [redacted] for my son, snapping pics of my son, sending them to his mother, while surfing FB at the same time all with no lag.

To disable NUPlayer:

Settings>about>software>more>build number and tap it 5 times to enter developer mode.

Then:

THANK YOU! This seems to have fixed the problem for me. I would recommend trying this first before anything else!:D

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

To disable NUPlayer:

Then:

Also. For those that are having issues with Google Play Services. There is an app that helps.(Battery drain, constant notifications to update etc) Gservicesfix. DL and follow the instructions. I easily get 28-34 hours on a full charge now. Since having my phone since launch day. This is quite the treat.

The problem is not NuPlayer.
Its Facebook plus NuPlayer.

For those of us who don't user Facebook (And even have it disabled), there has never been a lag problem. Ever.

I've had NuPlayer on and Off, and never had any lag. It made zero difference at all. It isn't NuPlayer. If turning off NuPlayer fixes Facebook, well, good. Put the problem is Facebook is still the culprit, and blaming NuPlayer just gives facebook a pass to install crap software and not fix it,

CHERRYxMUSTANG

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I have definitely noticed major lag on the native messenger app. Lag that is bad enough to crash the whole app. Whether I type too fast, try to add a picture, or receive a text while typing it crashes. Plus a little lag when using the keyboard for anything including the android central app. Not as bad as the messenger but enough to be a nuisance. Go SMS Pro works for me until they fix this issue or I root and install a custom ROM on my baby.

I get this message when it crashes after lagging for five seconds.

Attachments

• 35361.jpg
    35361.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 29

CHERRYxMUSTANG

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

This is what happens whenever I try to view my messages. Never had lag like this or any kind before this update. :/

Attachments

• 34763.jpg
    34763.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 28

bb_ghost

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

I get this message when it crashes after lagging for five seconds.

I'm getting this too. A perfectly good phone barely functional (I mostly use my phone for its intended purposes-communication/internet surfing). My browser has crashed already too, let's see if that's just the first of more to come. :-$

joker454

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

Same problem here, my One M8 runs like crap with Lollipop. Lots of lag and the messenger app is terrible now. I guess ATT wants me to buy a new phone, not sure how long I can tolerate this. I've done all the suggested fixes and nothing works. I'm relatively new to Android but I guess the lesson here is never do major Android version updates on an existing phone.