Factory reset after lolllipop OTA?

elmacho

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked One M8,EMEA variant running stock sense 6.Yesterday,i got the lollipop OTA and did install it today.Now, I heard a lot of people complaining about performance issues and overall lesser stability on lollipop compared to kitkat, on reddit and a few other sites

I would like to know if you guys would recommend a factory reset after the update, especially considering the change of runtime to ART and all those system level changes? Have any of you done it on any of your devices and Is it worth the hassle? Will the performance or battery life be any better? Thanks in advance :).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Although a factory reset may help in some situations, I don't think it's a mandatory thing to do after every system update. I'd only do it if the device was showing some serious performance degradation. Instead, you can easily do a cache partition wipe (which doesn't erase any personal data)--this can also help with various issues that people encounter after an update. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ow-reboot-into-stock-recovery-htc-one-m8.html

markfern811

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I received Lollipop update yesterday. i did a factory reset mainly as my original phone was carrier branded and i've rooted, I'd converted to GPE edition. so to get back to sense I didn't have a backup of my original sense rom. so had to flash another sense European ROM, so thought it best to do a factory reset.

If you backup you phone with the HTC backup facility then its straight forward and doesn't take that long..not sure if it will improve battery or anything with a reset but if it were me i would then you have a good clean start.