Hi there! I'm in the market for my next Android phone. I'm choosing between the One M8 and the Galaxy S5 as i believe the Lollipop update is now made available here in the UK.

But, i'd like to ask some specifics specifically the One M8 update:
    1. Is there a torch/flashlight toggle?
    2. Is there a new way to do a screenshot via long pressing the Power button?
    3. Is there a brightness level slider on the Notifications drop-down?
    4. Can i "cancel all" the multitasking cards like the S5?
    5. Any improvements on the camera algorithm and features? ( I heard there is this annoying pop-up that keeps asking you where to save your photos. ) And can i manually or automatically save my photos to the micro SD card slot?
    6. Any improvements on the battery life?
    7. Any good MP3 player for my One M8?
    8. I have seen One M8 able to survive water spills and dunks. Would you say its safe for the off spills and rain?

Please advice. Thanks.
    01-31-2015 04:00 PM
    1) There is a built in flashlight app, but no toggle. 2) Pressing power and Home buttons together gives you a screenshot. 3) The M8 doesn't have a brightness slider in the Notifications area. 4) It appears the multitasking cards have to be swiped away one by one, they can't all be closed together like in KitKat. Well, not on my handset anyway. EDIT You can switch back to the old grid look by simply pressing the 3 dots on the top right of the screen. If this doesnt show, switch the phone to landscape and the 3 dots will show up. The grid layout allows you to close all recent apps in 1 go by pressing the "X".5) Saving photos to a MicroSD card is easy as eating a pizza. You simply need to go into the Camera settings and select storage as MicroSd. Might be a good idea to create a folder in the card to save photos in. 6) Battery life is still the same as KitKat. Decent. 7) PowerAmp is fantastic. 8) The phone is not advertised as waterproof or water resistant. Don't blame HTC if you get damage!
    Gino Guillermo likes this.
    01-31-2015 06:08 PM
    I was told by HTC that there is a flashlight toggle. So, which is true?

Does pressing the brightness toggle pull up a slider?

Don't want to dwell about the "water resistant" issue but videos purported to show One M8s being able to survive water test/water dip. But if they do survive the ports will have water in them and they would be prone to rust and erosion (eventually) would they?
    02-01-2015 04:22 AM
    I don't use the stock flashlight app, but use a third party one that has a toggle widget set to one of my home screens and lock screen. So even if the answer to your direct question is no, it can still be done with other apps.

The easiest way to access the brightness slider is to do a two finger swipe down from the notification bar to bring up the quick settings. There's a brightness toggle button (may have to edit the list if not immediately visible) that gives 3 brightness settings. You can tap the 3 dots on the button to then bring up the full slider control.
    02-01-2015 06:18 AM
    Umm, on Lollipop there is no need to do a two finger swipe down from the notification bar.

Just swipe down with one finger to see the notification, and further swipe down to get the quick settings.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    02-01-2015 06:30 AM
    I didn't know that part was updated; I don't have Lollipop yet and may not want it due to the mixed reviews. And that's before Verizon gets their grubby paws on it.
    02-01-2015 08:12 AM