Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. We got a bug snowstorm on Sunday, and Sunday night and Monday I was out shoveling (playing) in the snow most of the day. Both times my phone was almost all the way charged, and in my jeans pocket. After less than 15 minutes each time, the phone would shut off and not turn back on. Yesterday I was in and out all day, so I let it warm up for at least an hour, but every time I went back outside, again within about 15 minutes it shut off and would not come back on. Sunday night it was about 15 degrees, and yesterday it was about the same. Has anyone else had this problem? I realize the cold isn't good for phones, but I've never had one turn off because of it, at least not after only 15 minutes. This makes me worry if I were to ever get stranded that my phone would be unusable.
    02-03-2015 07:28 PM
    When it shuts off, is the battery pretty much dead when you finally get it back on? I'm wondering if condensation is building up inside it, especially after you've been outside a long time and bring it into a warm house. It's possible that's causing an internal short or something rapidly draining the battery.

I've had mine sitting in a cold vehicle and the battery temp reached -2°C. The screen got a little sluggish with the refresh rate, but that's normal with cold LCD's. It warmed up slowly as the vehicle did, and didn't have any problems.
    02-03-2015 08:19 PM
    Both times, the battery was above 50%. I was able to get it to the white HTC boot screen, but then after a few seconds it would just turn off. So I don't think the battery was completely dead. When I went back inside both days, I let it sit for a half hour and then turned it on. Both times the battery started at about 30%, and was back to about 50% within maybe 10 minutes. So the battery was taking a hit, but went back to normal.

And I'm not so sure about condensation. I had the phone in my jeans pocket, which was then covered by two more layers. I wasn't rolling around in the snow or anything haha. And honestly the snow was very dry, so it's not like the humidity was that bad.
    02-04-2015 09:25 AM
    I've never had this issue. I've had the battery drain faster outside in the cold, but never to that extent. I was just out Monday night shovelling for about an hour with my phone in an exterior pocket in my jacket (listening to music) and never had it hiccup at all. The battery was down 15-20% more than it normally would be if I was listening to music inside for the same duration.
    02-04-2015 09:38 AM
    I think you are having battery/power problems someplace, but I don't think it is just the cold. I have had numerous sub zero F times this year with the M8 and have not noticed this behavior. It is ALWAYS very dry when it is that cold here though, so I would not see a condensation issue (Twin Cities).

The way the battery gained 20% while in use, when it should be draining, seems indicative of something strange going on power related.
    02-04-2015 02:16 PM
    I'm so happy I found this and that it is recent. Today I went out in the cold, 25F, while listening to music. The battery was at 80% and within 15 minutes my phone shut down. I tried restarting it and got to the white HTC One screen then shut down again. When I got back inside I tried restarting the phone again after about 20 minutes and it came back up fully, battery was over 50%, but with some issues. It no longer had any auto login information for wifi, email etc. I waited about 5 more minutes and then performed a soft reset and all seems to have come back. I just went skiing with the phone in my pocket 4 days ago in 12F weather and didn't have any issues. Not sure what is going on and not really happy about it.
    01-13-2016 02:49 PM
    This has happened to me twice in the past three weeks. The first time the battery was at 17% and went right to zero and shut off. The second time was earlier this week and it was at least at 50% when it shut off while I was outside walking. When I got home and plugged it in it showed on the screen it was at 44%. Weird.
    01-13-2016 03:04 PM
    Is the temp outside lower than the operaring range of the phone??

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-13-2016 04:44 PM