So the 5.0.1 update popped up this morning. Normally I choose not to update right away in an attempt to save myself from possible release issues, but it was morning, and I was groggy. ANYWAY. This lovely software update locked up my entire phone for about half an hour, and then deleted my internal storage. Unfortunately my pics/videos were on the device memory, and weren't being backed up by google + or any other app (yaaaay for preventative measures!) HTC was completely useless (as usual, they are "SOOOOO sorry" though). I am positively desperate to recover my photos. My question is... IF I root my device NOW is it possible for me to use DiskDigger or similar app to try to recover the pics or is it a total lost cause and I should start the grieving process and make myself a drink now. Any other methods anyone can recommend? TIA
    02-10-2015 04:27 PM
    Welcome to Android Central. Let's try something really quick first: a cache clear in recovery.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...tc-one-m8.html

See if that helps.
    02-10-2015 05:06 PM
    No such luck, I tried that earlier, I have a feeling there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of me getting my pics/vids back. When my phone had finally booted up after the update it acted as if I was taking it out of the box for the first time.. like the whole damn thing reset. Thanks for your response though.
    02-10-2015 05:16 PM
    Have you in any way attempted to use your M8 during the update? As once the update process starts you must not interfere.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    02-10-2015 09:28 PM
    Nope, I was technical support for a cell phone provider previously so I know better... when it was stuck it kept giving me UI failure among other error messages so I'm assuming that whatever happened occured during those error messages. I just kept clicking to send error reports to HTC and it eventually rebooted itself.
    02-11-2015 11:48 AM
    Try some of the data recovery programs. There are some you use by tethering to your computer and i had mild success when a Verizon update reset a Note 3's internal and external SD card.
    02-11-2015 03:22 PM