Notification sound won't change ?

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
When I choose a new notification sound it only affects incoming emails . texts still have the same notification sound as when I purchased the phone . anyone have any idea's

Posted via my HTC one m8

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you look in the settings you'll notice that it only has ring tone, notifications (email), and alarm. No setting for texts.

I use Zedge from the playstore to get all my ring tones and stuff. Just look for text sounds and once you find something you like, press the "set" button. Now it will ring the new sound.

I'm sure there is another way but I never found out how.
Good luck

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks warpdrive , have used Zedge on other phones but forgot it had a separate setting for text sound . I'll be wrapped if this works . I'd be sure there'd be another way too but if there was you'd think HTC wouldn't make it impossible to find and just stick it in with the other sound settings . pretty dumb for a smart phone 😃

Posted via my HTC one m8

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Shane, I'm a long time fan of HTC devices. So I know that some things that they do may seem weird.

Like you'll never have a brightness slider in the notification shade or an equalizer in the default music app. It's just HTC's style.

I can't say that in the past that there was never a text subset, as I just don't remember to be honest. But I do remember well that I also wondered how in the world do you change the sounds for texts when I got my phone when it first came out. Thank god for Zedge.

I'm glad I was able to help. Enjoy your phone. It's been one of my favorites.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
In Settings - Notification settings - Select ringtone, can you see your new notification sound in the list? If yes, just select it.

Hi James, the op was not looking to change his email or ring tones. He wanted to change his text sounds.

In the settings, there is no place for texts. It's why I offered him to try Zedge.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow Shane, I just tried Zedge after posting my last reply. Zedge no longer has an option for texts anymore. Just normal ringtone, contact ringtone, notifications (on htc this will default to email only), and alarm.

I'm so sorry. I have no idea how to help or even change my text sounds now.
/cry

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I figured it out. (drove me nuts when Zedge alone didn't work)

Use Zedge or anything to download the sound to notification.

Then open up the default text app so you now see the list of all your resent texts. Hit the menu button (the 3 dots in the upper right side), then hit settings, notifications, and then you'll find what you're looking for.

Enjoy

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm not gay but I think I love you . enough said 😄😄😄😄

Just been wasting data downloading things that I knew wouldn't work and didn't off Google play . warpdrive great find your a champion thanks

Posted via my HTC one m8

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Now that's an interesting topic, I never thought about changing my M8 text notification sound (I use Whatsapp)

But if ever did I thought about changing it, I would sure just try it from the Sounds settings, which would lead me to the same disappointment as the OP

So thanks @warpdrive for the info. regarding the option being inside the text app 👍😊

Sent from my HTC One M8

Berniebean

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Shane
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and the problem is if you receive notifications in your status bar, you also have to change that ring tone. The way to do it on my phone is:
1. Open Messages (Just your normal message in folder)
2. Press your menu button on the phone
3. Press Settings
4. Press More
5. Go to Notification Settings
(Notice that notifications is set to "make sounds and show icon in the status bar when you receive messages")
6. Go to Select Ringtone - (Change to the message text tone you wanted)
Now your tone will work when you receive texts unless you allocate ring tones to specific contacts (which overrides everything and once you change it in Contact Settings it will work)
I don't know if this will work for your phone, but good luck.

Jessie Kate

May 21, 2016
Visit site
You are my hero! Thank you haha ❤

Ok, I figured it out. (drove me nuts when Zedge alone didn't work)

Use Zedge or anything to download the sound to notification.

Then open up the default text app so you now see the list of all your resent texts. Hit the menu button (the 3 dots in the upper right side), then hit settings, notifications, and then you'll find what you're looking for.

Enjoy

justice4brandon

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
How do you turn off the notification? When I'm on a call and I get a text or email the notification song will play while I'm talking on the phone. It's fine when you're talking to a friend, but quite embarrassing when it's a professional call.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
How do you turn off the notification? When I'm on a call and I get a text or email the notification song will play while I'm talking on the phone. It's fine when you're talking to a friend, but quite embarrassing when it's a professional call.
I know this is an old thread but...easiest way I found is to touch the volume key, look to the upper right corner you should see a down facing arrow (v) touch this arrow and a pop up window appears with all the sound levels..
Ringtone
Media
Notifications (adjust the volume here)
System
My text tone was Screaming Goats, although funny for my amusement, not so much when customers hear that in the background...hope this still helps someone out