Should i get an M8? Kind of scared now!

illmatic96

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
So i havent had an HTC phone in almost 2 years and miss HTC so i was contemplating getting an M8. Yes i know the M9 is around the corner but unfortunately money is an issue currently. Originally i had 2 main concerns, them being:

1) All 3 of my past android phones (Motorola Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy note 2) Have never given me problems putting music on the phone. I always just plugged it in, dragged the files i wanted from the computer to the SD card and that was that no problems. I would never think it would be a problem but i have been seeing a lot of complaints floating around saying this method doesnt work with alot of peoples M8, so needless to say it has me worried.

2) The infamous camera lens issue. Ive read alot of people saying the coating gets scratched and then the pictures start looking really crappy. The general consensus was that toothpaste or alcohol would fix it. Now ive started seeing people saying itll fix the issue but potentially make the lens worse in time and making your pictures permanently bad. What seems to be the general opinion on this issue and the best fix?

After browsing this M8 sub forum ive been reading alot of random issues people are having with this phone and makes me kind of nervous to get it. Granted i realize any and every phone has the potential to have random issues and hiccups. Maybe im just being paranoid who knows. What would you recommend i do get the phone or not?

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
So i havent had an HTC phone in almost 2 years and miss HTC so i was contemplating getting an M8. Yes i know the M9 is around the corner but unfortunately money is an issue currently.

So...money is currently an issue...yet you're thinking about getting a phone anyway? I don't get it. If money is an issue right now, wait until you have some. By then, the M9 will probably be out; get that instead.

1) All 3 of my past android phones (Motorola Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy note 2) Have never given me problems putting music on the phone. I always just plugged it in, dragged the files i wanted from the computer to the SD card and that was that no problems. I would never think it would be a problem but i have been seeing a lot of complaints floating around saying this method doesnt work with alot of peoples M8, so needless to say it has me worried.

I have Android File Manager for Mac. I drag and drop music. It's not a problem.

2) The infamous camera lens issue. Ive read alot of people saying the coating gets scratched and then the pictures start looking really crappy. The general consensus was that toothpaste or alcohol would fix it. Now ive started seeing people saying itll fix the issue but potentially make the lens worse in time and making your pictures permanently bad. What seems to be the general opinion on this issue and the best fix?

It's a thin coating of film. I basically used a lens wipe and scratched it off. My lens is spotless. It's really not that big of an issue.

After browsing this M8 sub forum ive been reading alot of random issues people are having with this phone and makes me kind of nervous to get it. Granted i realize any and every phone has the potential to have random issues and hiccups. Maybe im just being paranoid who knows. What would you recommend i do get the phone or not?

I recommend that you wait for the M9.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Save your money for a couple of months and get the M9.....If only for the camera. My only complaint with my M8. I love the low light pictures and I get really great shots, but it takes a little knowledge.
I just drag and drop music files (and anything else), no problem.
I have never had a camera lens issue.
Browsing the forums can be scary, because people post with issues. There are hundreds of happy customers for every one complaint post you see. Some are hardware. some are software, some are people just not knowing how to resolve problems, some of which they created. I have an HK Edition M8 and it is the best phone I have ever had. It's been updated to Lollipop. Super fast, great battery life, absolutely no complaints. I have had many smart phones over the years. I have been with HTC sing the original EVO 4G. I have rooted them. I feel no need to root this phone. I've had it for a year and still love it. I will get the M9 when my contract is up, but I'm not in any hurry at this point.....

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the others, why do you feel the need to upgrade? Is something wrong or broken with your current phone or do you just want 'the new shiny'? It sounds like you just want a new & shiny toy. If money really IS an issue and you're questioning your ability to purchase a new phone you have much bigger issues at hand financially to even consider looking at a phone.

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I should have worded that better, while i can afford to get the m9 i just feel like being a cheapskate.

I would get the M8 then or just stick it out until the M9 is announced. I did the whole drag & drop method or used an online radio for music. The camera was excellent despite a lot of reviews, I never suffered from the residue on the lense. My only complaint was battery life after several months of usage.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6+ 

CBreen28

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
You coukd always buy a lightly used one on Swappa for fairly cheap and then sell it if you don't like ir or want the M9.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
1) I've haven't seen any widespread problems about putting music on the M8, and never had that problem myself. Just tether to my computer and use its file manager as normal.

2) The lens coating is an issue, but haven't seen anyone having problems after the fact. Mine is still fine about 6 months after removing the film, only I went the magic eraser route instead of toothpaste, alcohol, etc.

3) The problems I'm seeing pop up now are related to the recent lollipop update. Both with bugs and just not liking something with the new interface (I.e. Lock screen notices). This would be my only concern with getting the M8 at this point. If you're not comfortable with rooting and blocking the lollipop update and don't want to take the chance, then you may want to wait for the M9. Otherwise, the M8 is still an excellent phone, all things considered.

illmatic96

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
1) I've haven't seen any widespread problems about putting music on the M8, and never had that problem myself. Just tether to my computer and use its file manager as normal.

2) The lens coating is an issue, but haven't seen anyone having problems after the fact. Mine is still fine about 6 months after removing the film, only I went the magic eraser route instead of toothpaste, alcohol, etc.

3) The problems I'm seeing pop up now are related to the recent lollipop update. Both with bugs and just not liking something with the new interface (I.e. Lock screen notices). This would be my only concern with getting the M8 at this point. If you're not comfortable with rooting and blocking the lollipop update and don't want to take the chance, then you may want to wait for the M9. Otherwise, the M8 is still an excellent phone, all things considered.

After reading that a factory reset after a major update fixes most issues people experience i am not too scared about the lollipop update anymore. I do have magic erasers laying around my house so thats good to hear. What was your technique with them?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I do have magic erasers laying around my house so thats good to hear. What was your technique with them?

I added just a bit of water in the corner of the eraser I planned to use, then make sure to wring out the excess to prevent water from dripping into the lens and getting inside the phone. Then just wipe the lens very lightly, checking to see if it's clearing up. If not, use a bit more pressure. It's best to start light and not be enough, than to use too much and risk squeezing water out as you use it.