Massive Battery Drain - GPS is on constantly.

Hosephus

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Android System seems to be the culprit according to the battery manager. My phone has been off the charger for a little over 5 hours and is down to 50%.

Android System is currently sitting at 41% of my battery use, with Android OS at 14%. Everything else is less than 5%. According to Battery Manager, under Android System, the GPS has been on for 1h 49m and change.

What can I do about this? I turned Location Services completely off, and the icon continues to flash. I uninstalled some apps known to use location services, no dice. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Still running 4.4.4 if that helps.

Last edited:

Hosephus

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

No. I use a PIN, and have never paired a Bluetooth device with my phone. I checked the security settings, and there are no references to smartlock to be found.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Disable or uninstall your weather app, or weather widget, or anything weather related for testing. It might be an app that is not lollipop ready, or maybe the HTC weather is stuck. If you can find the specific app, you can try clearing cache, reinstalling, or whatever.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I have been having the same issue too. My battery drains big time...I am guessing it is from the issue everybody in this post have. I am running att 4.4.4

Edit: Anybody know what apps were updated recently? It seems a few people in different threads are experiencing the same issue within the past few days.

Last edited:

Stacy Kingston

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing lately and I am still on ATT 4.4.4.4
Yesterday I got only 9 hours before the thing was completely dead!

I was also having some issues with texts not sending or coming through even in areas where I usually have no problems. So frustrating.

ksm09

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Go to gps, activate IT and put IT to power saving then turn it off. Worked for me on my G3, and to check If it worked, check again and again the process with gps to see If the seconds are increasing :)

Posted from LG G3

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
For me it seems related to phone calls. If I call my voicemail the GPS icon comes on and flashes and then continues for a bit when I hang up.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I disabled the google search app as someone suggested in that thread and I haven't seen the gps icon since. Hoping that was it

MrHaun

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Seems I can force close "Google Location Service" and "NLPLocationReceiverService" and it will stop using GPS momentarily ... but it will automatically restart on me. I've also got location services supposedly set "off"

This is becoming quite upsetting. GPS is active even in extreme battery save mode now too.

Grant Hohman

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have this same issue. I found an answer in another forum. When you see the GPS on go to running apps and open android system and force stop IQ agent. It'll stop the consistent GPS. Temporarily at least. It seems to last the majority of the day from what I've seen.

madelman99

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I have this same issue. I found an answer in another forum. When you see the GPS on go to running apps and open android system and force stop IQ agent. It'll stop the consistent GPS. Temporarily at least. It seems to last the majority of the day from what I've seen.

This will only last for couple of hours. Have anyone tried calling HTC? I'm planning to call them tomorrow...

madelman99

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Did you call HTC about the issue? This morning I have lost over 10% of my battery in two hours, and have only sent three text messages.

Just got off the phone with HTC, they don't know what is causing this but said that they will escalate to the next level support. The tech had me restart the phone to a safe mode and the problem was still there, so i know it is not a conflict with some app. Not sure why they never heard of this, am i the only one that called them?

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Just got off the phone with HTC, they don't know what is causing this but said that they will escalate to the next level support. The tech had me restart the phone to a safe mode and the problem was still there, so i know it is not a conflict with some app. Not sure why they never heard of this, am i the only one that called them?

I did a live chat with them today. The person I chatted with said the same thing. The first thing I had to do was delete Facebook Messenger. That did not help. I put the phone into Safe Mode. That did not help. One other thing the man told me to do my phone would not do. I was told to turn off Fast Boot and then turn the phone off and hold the volume down button until the screen went white and an android on a skateboard appeared. I could not get it to work.
He also told me to reset the battery. Not sure if that will do anything. I can not perform the battery reset until I get home from work.

madelman99

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I did a live chat with them today. The person I chatted with said the same thing. The first thing I had to do was delete Facebook Messenger. That did not help. I put the phone into Safe Mode. That did not help. One other thing the man told me to do my phone would not do. I was told to turn off Fast Boot and then turn the phone off and hold the volume down button until the screen went white and an android on a skateboard appeared. I could not get it to work.
He also told me to reset the battery. Not sure if that will do anything. I can not perform the battery reset until I get home from work.

I think he was trying to get you to do a cache wipe, i tried it and that didn't help. I want to try one more thing: go through the App Ops and reset everything to the default (give access to everything as it was intended by the OS) i'm thinking maybe the phone is trying to do something and cant because App Ops is preventing it. not sure if it's worth a try, but it will not heart. I would be interested to know how many of you guys with this issue running App ops?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol