Verizon HTC One M8 Lollipop Update Thread

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey all:

I just updated my Verizon HTC One M8 to Lollipop using the two OTA's that came from Verizon today. As soon as I received the final message letting me know that Lollipop installed properly, I shut my phone down and did a cache partition wipe, which took about 2 seconds after I got into the recovery menu.

I rebooted my phone and let it sit for a few minutes just to make sure the phone had time to sort itself out before I started playing with it to see how well the Lollipop update ran. My phone did get warm while it was updating, however it started to cool off after the update and is now cool to the touch while in use, so I do not believe there are any heat/drain issues with this update as of yet. Should that start to happen, I will post about it.

So far, my phone has handled Lollipop like a champ. All of the apps are opening just as fast, and in the case of Google Hangouts, faster than they were on 4.4.4 Kit Kat. I was also impressed that HTC kept the old sound profiles as opposed to the standard Lollipop ones that have been such a headache for so many.

I created this thread for Verizon M8 users as well as other M8 users to chime in on how the Lollipop update is treating them. So far my Verizon M8 has been flawless.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience so far...

Did you do a factory reset at all, or just the cache wipe?

Thanks,
R

psp219

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I just updated with no cache or factory wipe. Battery seems to be draining pretty fast.

Posted via the Android Central App

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I did a factory reset before and after the update plus the cache partition wipe last.

The phone did get hot during update but has since cooled off and running fine.

I am in the process of syncing everything back up. It will take a few days to settle down to determine battery and other performances. But so far so good.

Anytime a major OS update is in progress, it just makes sense to do a reset and partition wipe to insure no conflicts... well in my opinion anyway. I do this to all my devices and I haven't had any serious issues to date.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I only wiped the cache. I did not do a factory reset. After the update was complete, the phone was running fine and beginning to cool off. However, I did not play with it long before shutting it down and wiping the cache. I just wiped the cache out of an abundance of caution, not because the phone was underperforming.

Thankfully, with wiping the cache, it literally did nothing to any of my phone's data or settings. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was.

Watch out with those new notifications on the homescreen. I am not used to having my Hangouts messages show up on the front screen. I had a buddy of mine send an extremely vulgar message to my phone and sure enough, it showed up on the lock screen. I miss my old iPhone 4 notifications, so I do not plan to turn them off, but I will have to pay attention when I am in court.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I just updated with no cache or factory wipe. Battery seems to be draining pretty fast.

Can you look at the battery setting and see if there is an app that is draining your battery? I have no battery drain on mine. Facebook has used the most of the 5% of power that I have lost over the past 55 minutes (battery is at 95% right now). I watched a 2.5 minute video on Facebook, so I suspect that is the reason why.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
No one should look at battery drain for at least a day or so after upgrading. A lot is going on under the hood...

I am going to wipe the cache before the upgrade, and then wait a bit after the upgrade and do it again. I will only do a factory reset if the system is sluggish and does not improve.

R

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. If your experience is anything like mine, you won't need a factory reset. My M8 is smoother than ever after the Lollipop update.

NINFanInTN

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Updated mine today. seemed to be working fine after the update. let it run for an hour or so before opting for the factory reset. My wife and Son both have M8's and i'll probably leave theirs alone after the update, comparing how mine acts to theirs.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Updated mine today. seemed to be working fine after the update. let it run for an hour or so before opting for the factory reset. My wife and Son both have M8's and i'll probably leave theirs alone after the update, comparing how mine acts to theirs.

Nice. You have a control and test group at home. Lucky you. The other phones in my home are iPhone 6's, so I am the only one on Android.

Let us know how your phone ends up faring. My phone has been flawless since the Lollipop update.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am a systems administrator so I understand the idea of a reset. But the vast majority of end users don't! We should not have to do a reset with any upgrade. I hope that's why Verizon took longer to get this out. But I will admit that I am hesitant to do the upgrade due to all the bad experiences I have read about. Here goes nothing......

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I am a systems administrator so I understand the idea of a reset. But the vast majority of end users don't! We should not have to do a reset with any upgrade. I hope that's why Verizon took longer to get this out. But I will admit that I am hesitant to do the upgrade due to all the bad experiences I have read about. Here goes nothing......

All will be fine! Im sure this extra time has allowed for htc and verizon to work out some of those issues (at least we can hope).

At least you dont have my problems. I installed a custom ROM about two months back based on GPE lollipop. it was horrid. i reverted back to stock (or so i thought) and today when I downloaded and attempted to install the update it errored out magnificently! I've been spending the last 3 hours wiping my phone reinstalling 4.4.2 from an RUU and slowly going through the incremental updates. Im finally just now getting ready to install lollipop again, and hoping it doesnt do it again :)

zeedztun

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm having issues with my phone. I updated to lolipop, after it optimized all the apps I kept getting pop up error messages that won't go away after clicking them... essentially rendering my phone useless. "unfortunately, system UI has stopped" and verizon login has stopped. I can click OK but it just keeps popping back up again.

larryandelle

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Gesture Controls from lock screen changed?

Has anyone else noticed that the gesture controls are now limited to just swippimg up? Is this part of the update or is there an issue with my update?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
OMG im Derp.

I'm having issues with my phone. I updated to lolipop, after it optimized all the apps I kept getting pop up error messages that won't go away after clicking them... essentially rendering my phone useless. "unfortunately, system UI has stopped" and verizon login has stopped. I can click OK but it just keeps popping back up again.

see below.

Last edited:

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
try wiping your cache and if that doesnt work, factory reset. If you dont know how to wipe your cache there are plenty of guides on ehre or you can find one by googling it, or you can save yourself that trouble and just skip to factory reset. You will probably end up happier just resetting and getting it over with now.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I forgot to quote you, see my answer one post above.

larryandelle

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Thx...I did wipe the cache. So I'm curious if the gesture control has changed before I go for the reset just to find out it did change and I just wasted my time

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thx...I did wipe the cache. So I'm curious if the gesture control has changed before I go for the reset just to find out it did change and I just wasted my time

nope you seem to be right, only swipe up, if the screen is on. If the screen is off, the motion gestures are still working same as always.

larryandelle

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
nope you seem to be right, only swipe up, if the screen is on. If the screen is off, the motion gestures are still working same as always.

How interesting. I just tested it and left, right, up & down all work when screen is off. Thanks for the confirmation ... Its not just me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad