Apps randomly closing

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Recently a game I had been playing suddenly didn't want to load up so I restarted, uninstalled and now it is closing every time I open it, w/o the common "app has stopped" thought it was the app but now another app I had not been using in a while did the same thing. Any suggestions?

Only thing that I've installed/downloaded was the 5.0 update
BTW the apps so far that are closing are "simcity buildit" and "here" (map)

Some have said a factory reset is needed after this update. Only problem is that there are some things I simply can't recover if I do a factory reset.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I feel your dilemma. That's one thing you think Android/Google would have addressed 2 or 3 generations ago. However having said that I'll offer some other advice. Simcity is a heavy processor game, not sure about Here, but it sounds like your RAM/processor is being taxed to the limit, and it could be that something in the background is using just enough to starve your foreground activity. Go in and turn off Fastboot and restart your device and then try to do one or the other of apps and see if you get a better result. Turning off fastboot will limit the apps that are started when the device is powered on to only those that are called for. It could be one offensive app or several small apps starting and possibly running wild in the background. You may also want to try all of the standard stuff, like clearing caches, reducing SMS and MMS volume, and getting rid of emails that may be saved to your device. I pick on SMS and email because those are two apps that most people let run in the background, frequently update, and can use a large volume of memory. The only other thing I can think of that could be responsible for your issue compatibility problems. I'm assuming that you like me are not going to go out of your way to find an app when you already know where it is, and uninstalled then installed again your game from your "My apps" area of the PS. The problem with that is that "My apps" is going to show you your history no matter what. It will show you anything you've ever installed on an android device, even if it isn't compatible with the device, or possibly in this case the OS, if you look for it under "My apps". Uninstall it and then do a search for it from the home page of the PS. Google usually does a fair job of weeding out apps that won't work on your device, whether it be device related or OS related. If it's no longer compatible it won't show up in the list of an actual search. Just like apps from my Incredible days don't show up in results during my One days. Occasionally one will slip by and show up even if it isn't fully compatible, which is why it's important to read reviews and descriptions of apps before installing. Most times Devs will say if an app isn't compatible with a device or OS, and/or people who didn't take the time to read will post how the app doesn't work on their device, or you may find other users having the same issue after the update complaining. Of course it doesn't even have to be that app it could be something else leaking RAM or running into walls in the background, but this will at least give you place to start.

If all else fails though..... Dumdumdummmm... A factory reset may be just what you need. These big OS updates are occasionally buggy and factory resetting can smooth things out.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I feel your dilemma. That's one thing you think Android/Google would have addressed 2 or 3 generations ago. However having said that I'll offer some other advice. Simcity is a heavy processor game, not sure about Here, but it sounds like your RAM/processor is being taxed to the limit, and it could be that something in the background is using just enough to starve your foreground activity. Go in and turn off Fastboot and restart your device and then try to do one or the other of apps and see if you get a better result. Turning off fastboot will limit the apps that are started when the device is powered on to only those that are called for. It could be one offensive app or several small apps starting and possibly running wild in the background. You may also want to try all of the standard stuff, like clearing caches, reducing SMS and MMS volume, and getting rid of emails that may be saved to your device. I pick on SMS and email because those are two apps that most people let run in the background, frequently update, and can use a large volume of memory. The only other thing I can think of that could be responsible for your issue compatibility problems. I'm assuming that you like me are not going to go out of your way to find an app when you already know where it is, and uninstalled then installed again your game from your "My apps" area of the PS. The problem with that is that "My apps" is going to show you your history no matter what. It will show you anything you've ever installed on an android device, even if it isn't compatible with the device, or possibly in this case the OS, if you look for it under "My apps". Uninstall it and then do a search for it from the home page of the PS. Google usually does a fair job of weeding out apps that won't work on your device, whether it be device related or OS related. If it's no longer compatible it won't show up in the list of an actual search. Just like apps from my Incredible days don't show up in results during my One days. Occasionally one will slip by and show up even if it isn't fully compatible, which is why it's important to read reviews and descriptions of apps before installing. Most times Devs will say if an app isn't compatible with a device or OS, and/or people who didn't take the time to read will post how the app doesn't work on their device, or you may find other users having the same issue after the update complaining. Of course it doesn't even have to be that app it could be something else leaking RAM or running into walls in the background, but this will at least give you place to start.

If all else fails though..... Dumdumdummmm... A factory reset may be just what you need. These big OS updates are occasionally buggy and factory resetting can smooth things out.
You put a nice effort in your post, which is much appreciated for an M8 user. However, fastboot no longer exist after the Lollipop update, it seems that HTC decided that it is not really needed or something.

OP, sadly not all apps has been fully updated to be compatible with Lollipop, specially that not a lot of people has the Lollipop at this time.

Sent from my HTC One M8

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You put a nice effort in your post, which is much appreciated for an M8 user. However, fastboot no longer exist after the Lollipop update, it seems that HTC decided that it is not really needed or something.

OP, sadly not all apps has been fully updated to be compatible with Lollipop, specially that not a lot of people has the Lollipop at this time.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Was wondering why I couldn't find fastboot

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
OP, you could try using the high performance mode to see if the apps in question will not crash in that mode, if they still crash then the problem is from the apps for sure. You can find that mode in the developer options.

How to enable Developer options:-
Go to Settings, About, Software information, More, repeatedly tap on Build number until you get a message that you are now a developer.

How to enable HPM:-
Now back in the Settings right above About you will see Developer options.

Open those options, flip the switch to ON, tap on High performance mode, you will get a message warning you that the mode will drain your battery faster than normal, tap on OK, now test those apps that crash.

Do not however use high performance mode for a long time, as it is meant for testing only, using it for a long time will make your M8 heat up, battery will drain fast, and on the long term it will have negative effect on the battery.

Sent from my HTC One M8

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What I'm getting at is if the games that are closing unexpectedly are games where you can sign in with your Google account. When you sign in with your Google account, it links with the Google Play Games app (which tracks your achievements and lets you interact with other Google users who play that game). If Google Play Games is malfunctioning, that might be causing the games that are linked with it to malfunction as well.

Go to Settings>App Manager>All, select Play Games, and Disable it. Then see if the games keep closing.

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you're right or maybe it's due to not all app developers have yet to update their apps to 5.0 compatible or at least stable enough on 5.0 phones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21