Go to a contact on your phone (M8). Click on the contact and then Long press a phone number. About seven options pop up. None of which are "Copy". Lets ignore the fact that the decision to leave that out is clear evidence that someone is so dumb they deserve to be fired from the Android team and focus instead on a way (other than rooting) to simply copy a phone number from contacts without having to: "go into Edit mode (risk altering the contact), highlight, copy, cancel"?

Everyone complained that you used to not be able to copy and paste on the iPhone. Here I am, 2015 on an Android device, unable to copy a phone number direct from the contacts.
    04-01-2015 12:03 PM
    Just go into "Edit number before call" and copy from there.
    04-01-2015 12:07 PM
    That is a ridiculous solution. What if while copying I accidentally press a digit (since, ya know, half the screen is now digit keyboard once you click in the number box)? Which number did I add? What do I delete? Seems completely ludicrous to have to even worry about something like that when you can simply hit "Copy" after a long press without the risk (and extra steps) of having to go into the number and edit mode.
    04-01-2015 12:11 PM
    btw, I just noticed that none of the options are "Edit before call". It is simply "Edit".

Also noticed that one of the options is "Save to SIM". So apparently something which no one has done since 1996 is still the very first option when it comes to a phone number on the HTC M8. But copy a phone number was ignored?
    04-01-2015 12:17 PM
    Similarly I find it absurd that to block a caller I have to write down the number I want to block and enter it manually. There is no way to do this from the call history log.
    ram1220 likes this.
    04-01-2015 02:52 PM
    Similarly I find it absurd that to block a caller I have to write down the number I want to block and enter it manually. There is no way to do this from the call history log.
    Must be carrier specific. I'm on Sprint and have all of these options...For the love of all things holy, why can't we copy a friggin phone number!-screenshot_2015-04-01-15-05-05.jpg
    04-01-2015 03:07 PM
    You are correct those options are available in the call log/history. What I'm specifically referring to is in the Contacts where you look up someones number.
    04-01-2015 03:18 PM
    It is simple as this, the reason of why you can copy numbers from call history simply by a long press on a contact name and choose copy number, because there is only the number that is is shown under the caller name.

While in Contacts/People each can contain (several numbers, email, company, .... etc) that's multiple data under one name, with that been said, how do you expect to have a (copy number) option there?! What if the contact got 3 or even 4 numbers, then which number is going to get copied?

Side Note:-
    By the way, you do know that the option (Send contact as vCard) let you choose whatever data (name, numbers, email, company .... etc) and send it to whoever you want, don't you? If you don't know, then now you know. If you don't know how to use it, then take my advice and get back to iPhone and iOS
    04-01-2015 08:46 PM
    Incorrect. Long press a specific phone number within a contact = no copy option.

Try again buddy.
    04-01-2015 08:47 PM
    Incorrect. Long press a specific phone number within a contact = no copy option.

Try again buddy.
    I said from the (call history) that's the (call log) by the way, read the side note from my previous response.
    04-01-2015 08:54 PM
    But that's not what I asked about. Call history is nice, but what if someone wants a number from a contact that isn't in your immediate history? And say you don't want to send every single detail about the person but just want to copy a specific phone number?

Listen, it doesn't exist. I don't care why And I'm not interested in rationalizations for poor OS design flaws. All I want to know is a workaround to get it done without rooting.
    Deathunter-M8 likes this.
    04-01-2015 08:58 PM
    But that's not what I asked about. Call history is nice, but what if someone wants a number from a contact that isn't in your immediate history? And say you don't want to send every single detail about the person but just want to copy a specific phone number?

Listen, it doesn't exist. I don't care why And I'm not interested in rationalizations for poor OS design flaws. All I want to know is a workaround to get it done without rooting.
    Did you see the (Thanks) I gave you on your above response? Consider it as a thank you for showing us that not anyone can use an Android OS

Go back and read what I said about the option (Send contact as vCard) you will see that I wrote you select whatever data you want to share, meaning, you simply just select the number you want share.

If that is too much complicated for you to understand, then sadly for you it doesn't get any more simple.
    anon(604250) likes this.
    04-01-2015 09:05 PM
    That I get. Just seems like an overly burdensome way. A very easy alternative would simply be a long press Copy. No?
    04-01-2015 09:15 PM
    That I get. Just seems like an overly burdensome way. A very easy alternative would simply be a long press Copy. No?
    What part of (a contact name can contain multiple data) didn't you understand? Because it can't get explained any further than what I already wrote.

Any way, go to the PlayStore and install an app called Truedialer, it has what you want.
    anon(604250) likes this.
    04-02-2015 04:29 AM
    Ok, I'll give it a shot. But what part of long pressing a specific phone number within a contact did you not understand? do you have an m8 on vzw? If so, just try it! Go to a contact, click on it, and then long press a phone number. Of course I said all of this in the original post and subsequent ones, but since you clearly aren't following I think it best that you just try it and you will see what I mean. Long press a specific number within a contact = no copy option.
    04-02-2015 05:42 AM
    Ok, I'll give it a shot. But what part of long pressing a specific phone number within a contact did you not understand? do you have an m8 on vzw? If so, just try it! Go to a contact, click on it, and then long press a phone number. Of course I said all of this in the original post and subsequent ones, but since you clearly aren't following I think it best that you just try it and you will see what I mean. Long press a specific number within a contact = no copy option.
    If I didn't understand what you were asking for I wouldn't have suggested Truedialer (that does exactly what you want)

I was simply playing cat and mouse with you because of the way you asked for help, you should work on that.

The Do's
    1) Do mention what you need
    2) Do try to be straight forward
    3) Do ask if it is possible

The Don'ts
    1) Don't compare to others
    2) Don't bash what you're looking for help with
    3) Don't add unnecessary info.
    4) Don't argue with those trying to help

Next time you need help with something, give the Do's and Don'ts I wrote above a try, and you will see that people are going to be more open to help you.
    mfreeland and anon(604250) like this.
    04-02-2015 06:06 PM
    Let's take a break from being rude to each other.
    04-03-2015 07:38 AM