AT&T M8 Software update Downloading NOW!!!

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My battery drained closed to 50% to 60% once the OS update was done (took over an hours :/), the 8 HTC updates from the app store got done, and everything 'settled down', so I don't think any of us will have a definitive answer on the GPS/keep awake bug until pulling it off the plug tomorrow and letting it run.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I can not wait until I get home from work to get the update. It better fix the gps issue!

Now i know i've only had it for a few hours. However before the update, all day you could see my gps turning on and off (believe this was the gps issue).

Since the update i haven't had my gps turn on once. So like cwise222 said, we'll have to see till tomorrow. However initially results look good.

EDIT: and the gps on and off is back.... great

Last edited:

Seveice

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes mine says I have 262 apps?? I guess with all the AT&T bloatware apps that are thrown in there it gets up there.
FYI - Took about 30 mins to download and then had to manually continue the upgrade after it had finished. I am still waiting on this app optimizing so going on about 45 min total so far.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
To all upgrading to Lollipop, I recommend wiping cache memory in recovery. This way it clears any lingering app settings/configuration prior to the update and should help with stabilization and battery life.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My GPS is is still flashing on and off as it was before and my battery is dropping 20% to 30% per hour and from what the battery manager says the phone has been awake continuously since the update, with the exception of when I did reboots and full power downs. GSAM says that System (sdcard) has used 89% of the battery, so something may be off there.

piaablind

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Update took about 45 minutes with downloading and install for me. Had several glitches for a bit after first boot and second reboot.
Remaining issues are actually quite annoying. I always type in landscape mode when texting. Also i have always used swiftkey keyboard. All of a sudden after the update, when typing in a message the keyboard is so tall that i cant see the message i am typing. I only see the keyboard and the recipients at the top. The message still types but cant be seen while typing.

I can say that the gps icon has not flashed yet though, even while making a call. However im not holding my breath. That issue started 3 days after my replacement phone a few weeks ago, and it originally started a couple weeks after the 4.4.4 update.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I've removed the SD card from the phone and am charging it now to see if Lollipop just wasn't playing nice with the SD card or something on it since GSAM said that was pulling down and insane amount of battery.

Seveice

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It looks like the GPS flashing symbol was on and flashing after the update. Since then I went into settings and turned off the location setting. It now has not returned! So good news there. The jury is still out on the texting issue. I am getting group texts in MMS but still getting the odd, touch to download occasionally. Also I have noticed a time lag of 10-15 minutes since I went online to the AT&T messege page during this upgrade. I get the texts on the website but then it takes 10 + minutes to get to my phone. But Im hopeful this improves. Otherwise some nifty features. Still learning

jpullins

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
So far so good....Took about 45+ min to update everything but no issues so far. Battery went from 99% to 79% after everything was done. I will say the phone got pretty warm too...i thought it was gonna overheat lol

Posted via the Android Central App

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I am now loosing about 35% an hour with Media and system (SD card) doing the most damage. I don't have the SD card in the phone any longer and I have deleted all pictures and videos from the phone and still the battery drain is insane. I've done cache clear right after the update. No master reset done because, honestly, in no way should that be needed. I shouldn't have to competently wipe my phone and spend a few hours setting everything back up for an update. Never done it before and don't plan on doing it. Plus this phone gets traded into AT&T tomorrow so that more work for nothing :p

This could settle down over the next few days but so far 5.0.2 is very disappointing as it's made the battery issues much, much worse for me.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
2 things i've noticed so far: there's no SMS preview anymore in the notification bar? it just shows the SMS symbol but doesn't show who it's from or a preview of the message. also, i don't think the themes are working. i always use the one that keeps the notification bar black at all times, but it keeps switching to different colors.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded this morning. No issues, definitely no battery issues.

For anyone having issues, please use GSam and post a Screen shot.

Posted via the Android Central App

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Between the battery manager and GSam I determined that Download Manger and Media Manger were sucking down ungodly mounts of power so I cleared the cache on both and then force stopped them and now the battery life is much more stable. I'm only loosing 3% to 8% per hour when the phone just sits there. I'm sure the restarted right after the force stop but that seemed to correct something. Not sure why those two went off the rails. Battery life isn't what I call good though, not what it was before 4.4.4 in any event but the full battery picture won't be clear for a few days.

Android OS and System (SD card) and still sucking down the most power, so I'm not 100% confident AT&T fixed the GPS/keep awake bug they introduced in 4.4.4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam