Has anyone had the issue with the back camera glass scratching? I know there is a lot of info out there as this seems to be a common problem with them using a cheap material. I saw a video on the internet where it looks fairly easy to take the phone apart. Had anyone found a fix or does the lens need replaced? Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-16-2015 04:03 PM
    Very common problem with the oleophobic coating on the glass. Chances are it's not the glass that's actually scratched, but the coating. Since that coating is fairly useless (it's primarily to make it somewhat fingerprint resistant), you can try buffing it off. I used a small amount of regular toothpaste on a Q-tip and rubbed it over the camera glass for about 30 seconds. Then I buffed it off using a microfiber cloth. Photos were crystal clear after that.
    Hvacmanjc and Sole07 like this.
    04-16-2015 04:59 PM
    Just remove the scratched coating with the toothpaste trick like B. Diddy says. No need to take the phone apart. I would even do it if I had no scratches, as it makes the photos sharper than new.
    Hvacmanjc and B. Diddy like this.
    04-16-2015 05:55 PM
    A little moisture and the corner of a credit card works too.
    Hvacmanjc likes this.
    04-16-2015 10:07 PM
    So does a magic eraser.
    Hvacmanjc likes this.
    04-18-2015 02:28 PM
    Is the camera lense cover glass or plastic? I read some where that is was plastic...

Posted via My htc One M8
    04-21-2015 09:51 AM
    Is the camera lense cover glass or plastic? I read some where that is was plastic...

Posted via My htc One M8
    I think it is plastic but the toothpaste trick with a Q-tip works very well
    04-21-2015 09:23 PM

Posted via My htc One M8
    The camera lense cover is glass, however, the flash lights cover is plastic.
    04-22-2015 01:25 AM
    I had sent mine to HTC back on December and they swapped the back lens cover as mine was all scratched up. They paid for shipping so I figured why not, plus I thought they would have fixed the lens issue since they admitted it to me back then. Now all of a sudden its April and tiny scratches are appearing again. Oh well, only a matter of time before I go with one of these methods. Thinking of the magic eraser trick. Thing is not to apply to much pressure as the seal on the lens cover itself can get loose if you apply to much and it can loosen.
    04-22-2015 07:08 AM
    I had sent mine to HTC back on December and they swapped the back lens cover as mine was all scratched up. They paid for shipping so I figured why not, plus I thought they would have fixed the lens issue since they admitted it to me back then. Now all of a sudden its April and tiny scratches are appearing again. Oh well, only a matter of time before I go with one of these methods. Thinking of the magic eraser trick. Thing is not to apply to much pressure as the seal on the lens cover itself can get loose if you apply to much and it can loosen.
    No need to apply any pressure, just make constant and soft circular motion on the glass with whatever method you are going to choose. That is until the layer is gone.

In the process, make sure to stay away from the flash lights cover.
    04-22-2015 07:44 AM