Howdy everyone! I posted this on the M9 forum, but I am having trouble getting any feedback and I'm running out of time for the offer!

I am about to migrate from the ancient iphone 4 to the Android, HTC family. I have basically reduced my options to choosing between the M8 and M9. I have found what looks to be an apparently sweet deal for an unlocked Verizon M9 for $380 (clean IMEI as of now, I would meet this person today at a Verizon store to verify the thing has been paid off and to transfer my H20 prepaid sim card...). Alternatively, however, many great deals for the M8 still abound in the web. I can get the M8 probably from anywhere between $240-280, and this guy is selling his M9 for $380. .

My question here is simple: is it worth the extra $100 bucks? I know a lot has been discussed about how underwhelming the improvements of the M9 have been over the M8, so that's the only reason I hesitate. But I wonder if the improved hardware will not reflect more substantial performance increase as software moves forward. Also, heard about battery life being a problem in the M9 and the performance actually being worse due to worse single-core capacity? Basically, I don't want to have to upgrade again for as long as possible. I am not looking to use my phone for gaming really, but I do cherish a lag-free app performance (browsing, video, audio...), and hope for one in years to come. Anyway, that's my primary inquiry. Any tips about what I should do when testing the used device would also be helpful.

Thank you everyone in advance
    05-07-2015 09:57 PM
    Something to keep in mind is this: the M9 probably underwhelmed most people who already had the M8. In this case, you would benefit from either device. Would I say the extra $100 is worth it? Probably. You are making a huge upgrade, and the M9 being an extra $100 just gets you into the current flagships for a (relatively) small fee.
    05-07-2015 10:58 PM
    Go for the M8. It's still an awesome phone and you'll save some money. The One M8 is still one of the fastest, smoothest and lag free running devices available. You won't be disappointed.

Posted via My htc One M8
    asanatheist likes this.
    05-07-2015 11:02 PM
    I would say m8 going by reviews and peoples experience with m9. From what I've seen m9 has worse battery life, some say screen isn't as good, overheating throttling issues, speakers aren't as loud. I have just bought a used like new grey m8, had to get rid of nexus 5 battery life on lollipop was horrendous. All I can say is this is the best phone I've easily had, In the last year I've had nexus 5, moto x(2013) lg g2, m7. I purchased the m8 unlocked as it was half the price of m9 for basically the same phone and keep the rest of money for m10 if that turns out to be totally new design.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-08-2015 01:08 AM
    Faced with the same choice, I went for the M8. I have had the phone about a month and couldn't be happier. I was concerned about reports of not so good battery life and heat issues on the M9.
    05-08-2015 10:48 AM
    p.s. Let me add, I bought my M8 brand new off of Amazon. When you are considering used M8 or M9, consider the M8 will be a year older, thus who knows what condition the battery will be in among other things. Based on the choice of a brand new M8 vs M9, I went for the M8. When you are talking used, you have to consider how long each one has been used. Obviously the M8 is probably used a lot longer than the M9 so will have a lot more battery wear and so forth.
    05-08-2015 11:12 AM
    Thank you so much for that! Fortunately, I have enough used - like new HTC M8 devices pop up for sale with reported rather minimal use. I am still apprehensive about buying used from craigslist since I got scammed over an iphone 5s a bit ago. In any case, it seems the M9 seller has vanished, which indicates it was probably a scam to begin with (for $380, it sure sounded like one, though I checked the IMEI and it was clean).

What I am still wondering is whether the perceived inferior performance of the M9 in relation to the M8, as well as the inferior battery life, is a temporary optimization issue, and that in the long run the M9 will run faster and better, or whether it's simply a flop.
    05-08-2015 05:00 PM
    You're really not going to see a big performance difference between the M8 and M9, as both run fast and smooth. I guess it all comes down to whether or not the M9 has enough advantages to be worth the $100 to you. It looks like the M9 seller disappearing kind of decided things anyway though
    05-09-2015 05:08 PM
    I had them both.. and sent back the m9

no difference at all.. and the power button on the m9 is too close to the volume rockers .. no good design on m9
    05-09-2015 05:20 PM