Yesterday, I was on the phone with HTC support trying to fix an entirely different issue. Once thing led to another and the last thing I was told to try was to use the repair function on the HTC Manager on my computer. For whatever reason, the repair was interrupted in the middle of the process (I had left to go do something and when I came back it said the repair failed).
    So I tried a few more times, not thinking anything of it. I then kept getting the error "fastboot.exe has stopped working" on my computer.
    Now my phone won't leave the initial bootup screen, and HTC manager won't recognize my phone.
    I am, however, able to access the fastboot screen (screen with the colorful font and white background) and the recovery (the screen with the black background and blue font). I'm fairly new to android, so please excuse me if I'm using the wrong terminology.
    I tried doing a battery reset by letting the battery drain, charging for 20 minutes, and then holding the volume up + down +power for 2-3 minutes. Didn't work, either.
    Any suggestions??
    05-23-2015 10:43 AM
    Call them back (see if you can get the same tech), tell them that you followed their instructions and it broke the phone, so now what? If they don't offer a replacement, in most places you have legal recourse. (When it happened to me with a US company, following instructions I knew would ruin the device, and told the tech that it would, I sent a letter marked "Personal and Confidential" to the CEO of the company, explaining the entire series of events. Her executive assistant called me and offered a free repair. Since it was a few years out of warranty, I didn't expect a replacement, so I was satisfied.)

BTW, NEVER fully drain any lithium battery.

If you do, the first hour is "ramp-up", not charging, so let it charge for 24 hours before doing anything else. Then if it still doesn't work, call them back.
    05-23-2015 04:17 PM
    Well, I had called them back and now I'm shipping it down to HTC for a diagnosis. The woman said since my phone is still under warranty, it'll be fixed for free granted if they damage done doesn't make the warranty void (which I'm assuming it doesn't because I was doing what I was told and it was their program that messed up).
    Thank you for the advice!
    05-24-2015 05:21 PM