Hopefully this is a straight forward enough of a question to get a straight forward response. My M8 is non-rooted and I was using the paid version of FoxFi without any issue before the lollipop update. I'm on verizon and have an unlimited data plan. I've been keeping an eye on the play store for an update but nothing has come thru from them in months. After doing some research, i have found out that if I was on a tiered data plan, it should still work, but since I have unlimited, it is blocked. My question is, if I root my phone, will I be able to regain my mobile hotspot function again? If so, what app options are out there to enable it with a rooted phone?
    06-03-2015 08:58 AM
    Looks like PDNet (Foxfi) has the Verizon Samsung phones up and working on Lollipop, but not HTC phones. Doubt they will because theres not that many users compared to Samsung users. You can still use USB tether mode, which is faster and works great, but you are wired. In this mode, you can turn on the WiFi Share feature on the desktop client and then you can share the connection. (What I do if I need to use the iPad...) If you root, most ROM's have a WiFi Hotspot app, that works just like Foxfi used to. I used to root for that reason, but I like getting OTA updates, and don't need a hotspot that often anymore.......
    dmoss7 likes this.
    06-03-2015 11:51 AM
    Thanks. I don't use the hotspot often. I mainly use it on road trips so our kindle can connect to netflix for our son. That's why I haven't been too overly concerned since the update. But we're going on vacation next month and would like to have that option. Looks like I may be rooting sometime soon.
    06-03-2015 02:37 PM
    but since I have unlimited, it is blocked
    At Verizon's end, so there's nothing you can do on your phone to unblock it (except hack into their servers, but they don't allow cellphones in federal prison).
    06-04-2015 12:57 AM
    In order to tether with a Verizon UDP, there is a $29.99/month (before discounts) plan that you have to enable on myverizon.
    06-04-2015 08:02 PM
    In order to tether with a Verizon UDP, there is a $29.99/month (before discounts) plan that you have to enable on myverizon.
    Just FYI, it also works on LGs with Lollipop.
    06-04-2015 11:22 PM
    And you can use it for a partial month at a prorated fee. If you are on vacation for 2 weeks, activate it from your phone the day you leave, then turn it off when you get back, pay $15 for the time.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-05-2015 04:38 PM
    And you can use it for a partial month at a prorated fee. If you are on vacation for 2 weeks, activate it from your phone the day you leave, then turn it off when you get back, pay $15 for the time.

Posted via Android Central App
    Good point.

via Asus Zenfone 2. Android Central Moderator.
    06-05-2015 04:40 PM