?? Used Settigngs/Storage/Manage Space/ - Move Gallery items to SD.. now... wtf?

ArcticFamily

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Just installed a 64Gb card to replace my 32Gb card. That process went well. Copied all files from 32GB SD card to PC hard drive, then copied to 64Gb SD card and installed 64Gb card... all was well.

Then went to Phone Settings - Storage in attempt to free up internal phone memory... went to "Make More Space" ... then selected "Gallery" then "select all" then "Move to SD"... that completed fine.. but now it appears all original EXIF / date info is GONE -- all images moved through the phone's own OS resulted in the EXIF data being gone? WTF.. the images are now found in an SD folder entitled SD card\HTC_MakeMoreSpace\Gallery

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any help you have is appreciated!!!!!!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Were all of your photos on the microSD card, or were some on Internal Storage? If they were all on the microSD card, and you physically copied them over the new microSD card, then the Make More Space function wasn't necessary, and might have caused some confusion for the phone.

Try going to Settings>App Manager, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open Gallery again, and wait a few seconds for the database to repopulate. See if everything is back to normal.

ArcticFamily

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Were all of your photos on the microSD card, or were some on Internal Storage? If they were all on the microSD card, and you physically copied them over the new microSD card, then the Make More Space function wasn't necessary, and might have caused some confusion for the phone.

Try going to Settings>App Manager, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open Gallery again, and wait a few seconds for the database to repopulate. See if everything is back to normal.

No... the photos moved through Make Space were all on the interal storage... ... it appears through looking at the files though the PC that the HTC M8 Camera App does not add EXIF data, rather just the Created date... so, when the HTC Storage function of Make More Space / Move to SD was used for the Interanal Memory Gallery, it recorded a new 'write' or create date and now I have 9Gb worth of images that all think they were taken today. Crap!

Did the suggested delete Gallery Cache, Forced Stop, Restarted Gallery and no go.... same result

Any solutions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, I must have misread your OP about the overwritten creation date, because I was probably thinking that the photos themselves were gone from the Gallery app.

I'm not sure if there's any way to fix this. I've always looked at that function with a wary eye on my wife's M8--I always prefer to move things myself, rather than let an app automate it.

ArcticFamily

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, I must have misread your OP about the overwritten creation date, because I was probably thinking that the photos themselves were gone from the Gallery app.

I'm not sure if there's any way to fix this. I've always looked at that function with a wary eye on my wife's M8--I always prefer to move things myself, rather than let an app automate it.

Yes, that's exactly what happened... the phone's built-in Storage option under Make Space -- > Move to SD ... completely changed the date of all the photos moved. So the lessons are:
1) Make sure you know where each camera app is writing to.. delete any that don't write to the SD card
2) Move items to your SD card yourself. Start Small, evaluate the effect of the change.

It's still REALLY frustrating that the camera uses the file creation date (or in this case move date) for the date of the photo instead of EXIF data!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm