An app causing slow wifi?

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So, all of a sudden last week, my unrooted m8 starting becoming very slow on wifi. I did speedtests and was getting under 1mbps down and up. I reset my router, same thing. All my other devices and computers saw my internet's full 50mbps speed. I also tried three other wifi hotspots, and the phone was slow on all of them. Did a factory reset, and it was fine for a couple days, and then was slow again.

Verizon sent me a replacement phone, which I got yesterday. I re-downloaded all my apps and everything, and literally a few hours later, noticed it too was extremely slow on wifi. I booted into safe mode, with only the factory apps running, and it too was still slow. So, thinking it was something I had recently installed on the other phone, I deleted all three of the apps that I had newly downloaded in the past few weeks. Still slow. I then deleted all of the apps that I could think of that recently had an update in the past week or so. Still slow.

So, without me trying a factory reset again, is it even possible that one rogue app could be causing wifi to be slow on the whole phone? I've checked the data usage on the device, and there isn't an app 'hogging' the wifi, and I've verified that my watching my router settings.

UPDATE: After googling the issue, I saw a thread that said to turn bluetooth off, and sure enough, literally seconds after turning that off, speeds are normal. Turn it back on, speeds are erratic and usually under 1mbps. Has anyone else had this issue? I need bluetooth on all the time to connect to my car. I didn't have this issue with the last m8 until about a week ago.

Last edited:

c0wb0ybil

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Have you found any solutions. I have tried other roms, freezing third party apps. That started to work I slowly started thawing apps a couple at a time then doing a speedtest with Bluetooth on and off once I got about 10 apps defrosted the Bluetooth issue was back. It didn't seem to matter what apps just the amount of apps installed.

Posted via the Android Central App