Why wont my M8 let me connect to 4gLTE?

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've been tinkering with my phone for a while now since I've gotten it(for a few months), and since then have had some issues with it.

For some reason my phone won't let me connect to 4g, even though it is capable of 4GLTE. When I try, and go to network operators the two options have grey text, and won't let me interact with them. I believe this issue has caused other problems with my phone since it won't let me check for updates on my phone as well, because of this I still have 4.2.2 as my latest update. When I try to update it I get the same greyed text that I can't interact with. Saying"Network is not ready". Because of this issue besides not being able to update, I'm unable to send photos through text, and half the time am unable to send text as well, with them usually taking a while to be send, or not at all.

Is there hope? I would post screen shots, but have to low a post count to.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you get the phone from your carrier, or unlocked from somewhere else? If it's from somewhere else, did you check to make sure it's fully compatible on your current network?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In that menu, can you select Preferred Network Type (i.e., 4G vs 3G, or LTE vs GSM only)?

Have you spoken to your carrier about this issue?

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
No, once I get to "network operators" I'm not able to go further since the options don't react when I try to pick them, which are "search networks", and "select automatically"

I've talked to at&t about by phone, but didn't get much help that way. I think I'll go to one of their stores in person on the weekend, and see if they can look at it in person.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open the Phone app, then tap Menu>Settings>Preferred Network. It should give you options like Global, LTE, and LTE/legacy 3GPP. Do you see that? Set it to Global.

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I can't seem to find the phone app, does it have certain name or is it just the icon that is made up of small squares in the bottom center of the screen? If so I clicked that, and after getting into setting don't see the "preferred network" option. So for me its Menu>settings>Mobile Data>Network Operators, and then can't go further than that.

For me I think the preferred option is one of the options I can't access under "Select automatically". I'll go around the forum here, and see if I can contribute, and after I reach the 10 post minimum will post screen shots.

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Ha, I thought thats what you meant, and feel kinda dumb for not doing it in the first place.

I went to settings, but for some reason that option isn't listed. I'll post some pics to show you.

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Sorry I wasn't able to get on, I did what you said, but was still unable to to get 4G. I guess this is just one of those weird issues where no matter what you do it continues to have a issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Argh. I'm not sure what else to suggest. Did you try the one with all of the networks (CDMA/EvDO/GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto), or the LTE Only option?

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It looks that they ATT may have to re-provision your phone... Take it to the store. Maybe you need to get a new SIM registered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781