Phone Slowdown

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So I've had this phone longer than any other phone. Well over a year now. While I loved it from the start and for most of the time I've had it, I've noticed over the past few weeks or so that it has really slowed down. Apps take a bit to open and load. Phone freezes up a bit at times.

Anyone else having the same problems? If so, have you pinpointed anything that might be the cause?

Posted via the Android Central App

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried clearing your cache partition? If not do a search. I also cut down on notifications.

Sent from my HTC One M8

ptwilliams

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely with you on this. It is now, on occasions, unusable.

I'm waiting for Marshmallow, then going to do a total phone reset and hope that makes it better.

It's a poor show really when you pay nearly £600 for a flagship phone. My bluetooth car kit has been unusable since Lollipop broke it, it slows to a crawl, almost feels like a budget model.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Seems like after every software update the device gets more sluggish. Switching apps has become especially slow but other things like tapping in an input field in maps takes a while to start letting me type. On a few occasions it's totally become unresponsive and I have to do a hard reboot.

Posted via Android Central App

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Great thread since I am also experiencing this but the problem started when Google and HTC rushed the Lollipop update, back in January. Used to have great battery life and no lag, since then battery lasts much lesser and I have occasional lag that goes away when I clean the recent apps. Did 2 factory resets, many cache cleaning and even tried a custom rom and kernel, to no avail, which makes me think that it´s mostly Google´s fault.
I still love the phone, never had one that I liked for such a long time and I dont feel any need to upgrade for the first time but I truly hope HTC fixes these problems with the Marshmallow update.

Cheers

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why I lean more towards custom ROMs when it comes to Android because from my experience, they are faster, snappier, and more customizable than the stock ones (even the ones that are rooted). I also use ElementalX kernel since the M7 days and I honestly couldn't use the phone without it because it not only makes it fast and responsive, but it also improves the battery life quite a lot.

If you're into stock ROMs only and care about OTA updates and all of that, I'd find a RUU and run it since that usually fixes such problems.

ptwilliams

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I had enough at the weekend, bit the bullet, backed up and wiped everything.

What a difference.

It's like having a new phone once again. If you can spare an hour or two to put it back the way you like it, well worth doing.

mindshadow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Kitkat 4.4 was so stable.. It was perfect on the m8. But then Lollipop ruined it completely. Never experienced slowdown on this phone until lollipop forced updated my phone! Spec wise it's still a powerhouse and shouldn't be slowed to a halt like I regularly experience on lollipop. The sooner we get marshmallow the better...

Scott500

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been battling the exact same problem. I have been getting terrible lag on the phone. I uninstalled Facebook and the problem went away immediately!. Hope this helps

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I find mine will freeeze for a good few seconds just before the round 'sync' icon pops up in the notifications bar.

It happened on kitkat too, but once I got Lollipop it went away. However, its now back.. and super annoying.

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I had enough at the weekend, bit the bullet, backed up and wiped everything.

What a difference.

It's like having a new phone once again. If you can spare an hour or two to put it back the way you like it, well worth doing.

Thanks.

I did the wipe and start fresh approach a bit ago but didn't find that it did much long term. Maybe a bit better at first.

Curious if you experience anything different.

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly why I lean more towards custom ROMs when it comes to Android because from my experience, they are faster, snappier, and more customizable than the stock ones (even the ones that are rooted). I also use ElementalX kernel since the M7 days and I honestly couldn't use the phone without it because it not only makes it fast and responsive, but it also improves the battery life quite a lot.

If you're into stock ROMs only and care about OTA updates and all of that, I'd find a RUU and run it since that usually fixes such problems.

Can you give a novice a quick overview on find and running a RUU?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Could you provide me with your device's CID?

If you're rooted, you can use a free app called CID Getter from the PlayStore to reveal it, but if you're not, you can reboot to bootloader by doing the following: How to Enter Fastboot Mode on HTC One

Once you're in the boot loader, the CID will be written on the top left side of the display, along with other information that may or may not be helpful but I suggest you write them all down here at any case. I'll try to find a RUU for you.

As for a quick overview of what a RUU is, read the second post in this page: unrooting - What is an RUU? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

In short, however, running a RUU will bring your phone back to stock state (stock ROM, recovery, etc.) as though you just purchased it from the store. All data will be wiped, by the way, so you better backup your media and important stuff beforehand.