So by fluke a friend of mine managed to guess my unlock pattern (now made a lot harder!) and changed it.

Not wanting to admit defeat I tried ways of unlocking it without asking directly for the new code.

It seems there is no "forgot password" prompt on our phones? Android device manager also fails us as it will not set a new password as it thinks there is no need to as the device is already locked.

However, on a more serious note, if you forget or think your pattern has been compromised with your phone missing you have no option other than to remotely wipe it? This could be a lot of hassle if you manage to find your phone later. I'm surprised Android Device manager doesn't just let you force a new password to the device.

Is there another way for stock/un-rooted phones?
    11-30-2015 10:35 AM
    What OS version is the phone running?

If 5.1.x, you may have no option other than a factory reset...
    11-30-2015 10:54 AM

Didn't think we were getting 5.1.x - just going straight to 6.0 at some point?

Either way, seems like an oversight not to have a password/pattern reset function?! looking at old unlock guides there was always a 'reset password' option allowing you to reset using your google account. Made sense to have that feature. I don't understand the logic in removing it and factory resetting - password reset should be a standard feature!
    11-30-2015 11:02 AM

Didn't think we were getting 5.1.x - just going straight to 6.0 at some point?

Either way, seems like an oversight not to have a password/pattern reset function?! looking at old unlock guides there was always a 'reset password' option allowing you to reset using your google account. Made sense to have that feature. I don't understand the logic in removing it and factory resetting - password reset should be a standard feature!
    It used to be that after X number of failed pattern tries (was it 15?), a link would appear offering to allow you to sign in using your Google account credentials (GMail address and password). I'm not sure when this went away, but believe it is definitely gone with 5.1.x.
    11-30-2015 11:23 AM
    PS: Also, I am talking about stock Android OS (as in the Nexus devices). Not sure about HTC-skinned devices.
    11-30-2015 11:25 AM