Dropped my m8 in the sea, what to do?

ElNevera

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi All

A few months ago I dropped my fully charged M8 in the sea. It was in there a few minutes before I realised and I was lucky enough to find it in the water.

I couldn't turn it off but I did stick it in a bag of rice for 2 weeks. After that, it wouldn't come on so I went out and bought another cheaper phone (Nokia Lumia 735) to try and see out the 14 months I still had on my contract.

Yesterday my daughter dropped my new phone on a concrete floor and the screen glass has shattered.

I'm still 5 months from my contract renewal point and I haven't been won over by Windows 10 Mobile so I was wondering whether I should try to revive my M8?

It charges up, switches on and makes the right noises but the screen doesn't come on. I can see the back light working though.

Having looked on youtube they appear to be a pain to strip down but I'm willing to give it a go.

Does anyone have any tips on how to revive a phone that has been in the sea and dried out?

Thanks

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The salt will have corroded a lot of the circuitry that might have managed to survive being short circuited.

The ideal scenario would have been to disconnect the battery straight away (not really possible on the M8), and then wash the internals thoroughly in de-ionised water.

Time to buy a new one imo.

ElNevera

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.

I might open it up anyway as I've nothing to lose....

I can end my contract early and upgrade but that's going to cost almost as much as a decent mid level android phone. I'm a bit stuck as to what to do :-\

ElNevera

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Well, I opened the phone up to see what damage there was. Most things looked fine with very little corrosion but the battery had either leaked or something like that and after that I gave up.

I've managed to secure a 2nd hand Galaxy S6 for good money. Bye bye HTC

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7