I followed a youtube video to Root my HTC M8 and all seemed to go as shown in the video. The teamwin flashed "successful" but Rootchecker says it is not Rooted. Bootloader is "unlocked" but shows "S-ON".

I would like to install the OTA Marshmallow update but it fails.
    01-30-2016 04:23 PM
    TWRP isn't rooting, it's installing a different (and much better, IMO) recovery partition.

But that's probably why the update won't work - the firmware isn't stock any more. You'll have to flash the original Lollipop ROM to be able to update (you'll lose everything, so if the phone isn't already fully backed up, do that first - see Backing up an Android Device) unless someone at Sprint One (M8) Android Development has posted a rooted Marshmallow ROM.
    01-30-2016 04:46 PM
    I'm probably going to come off sounding dumb as I muck through this, so have a heart and go easy on me. I really appreciate Rukbat's quick response to my post. I'm not sure where things went wrong in the video. TWRP is the recovery partition? So does that mean that now that TWRP is installed, I can download and install a ROM, which will then lead to a rooted device?

Is there a reason other than keeping personal files and such, for backing up the phone? I think I ventured into an area beyond my understanding and am paying the price for my blunder. If there is any advice to help me backtrack before my phone is ruined I would welcome the help.

With TWRP installed, where would I get the original Lollipop ROM for my phone, and what info would I need to ensure I get the right one?
    01-30-2016 07:55 PM