Stop connecting to Cable WiFi automatically

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Lately it seems anywhere I go I get a WiFi notification for TWI/xfinity WiFi to sign in with my account credentials. The issue is that my data stops working until I turn WiFi off in settings when it tries to connect. Anyone else run into this?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you need the phone to remember that hotspot? If not, go to Settings>Wi-fi​, long-press that network, and tap Forget.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I've tried that but it's pretty much anywhere in my area. We used to have Att Hotspots but now stores and restaurants switched to this csblefi system. Short version it's not just one location

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But if you Forget the network, it shouldn't connect automatically, right? It'll show it in your available network list, but it shouldn't connect unless you tap it, after which you'd have to enter your Xfinity account information again at the login page.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I just told it to forget both types (Comcast and TWI) I'll see if it continues.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What I've done is turn off automatic notifications for Wi-Fi networks.
f883522f17b38b9f0d717412ce4e401e.jpg

Dennis Janson

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
But if you Forget the network, it shouldn't connect automatically, right? It'll show it in your available network list, but it shouldn't connect unless you tap it, after which you'd have to enter your Xfinity account information again at the login page.

I have the same problem ever since that last update. Forgetting the network is not working. It tries to reconnect to it anyway. Then when it doesn't get online my wifi just shuts off, instead of connecting to my password protected wifi. Samsung really messed up their software ever since they tried adding the smart switch. I have all of those options turned off and it still connects to networks I never told it to connect to.

revitupmx5

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Its annoying. I have a Tasker program to turn off Wi-fi whenever I leave home. And come back on when I return. If I want Wi-fi when at Starbuck's I turn it on. And turn it off when I go.

corwyn74

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This exact thing started happening a few weeks or so ago to me too, always connecting to xfinitywifi but it is "Connected, no internet". I am right next to my home router but it connects to the xfinitywifi hotspot with no internet instead. I have told it to forget that network and it continues to try to connect!

revitupmx5

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Any Android phone can install Tasker. As I said a short Tasker progream can turn off Wi-Fi when you leave home and turn Wi-Fi on when returning.
I understand your frustration and I still get that Starbucks automatic connection. Maybe because I use it every day and enable it, but that damn xfinitywifi used to connect every damn time I went out and I never see it anymore.
I hope that helps

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No dummy it auto connects many users and we don't have the xfinity app. Try again

Hmm. How does my suggestion make me a dummy when it's a potential cause for some users? Perhaps you could give more details about your situation, and I can try to avoid being a dummy in my answer to you.:p

If you've ever connected to an xfinitywifi hotspot, the phone will try to connect if it encounters another one, assuming your wi-fi is on and not already connected to a stronger network. If you don't want it to auto-connect, then forget the xfinitywifi network in your wi-fi settings.