*** TAMPERED *** RELOCKED *** Security Warning *** Bricked HTC One?? Help!

htconem8bricked

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Android Newbie here, my coworker gave me his bricked phone and I'm trying to get it working since he let me have it for free. I'm not super familiar with Androids in general, so hoping for some help here. Basically, here is the background on the phone: HTC One M8 AT&T.

From my coworker: I honestly don't remember why it's bricked. It has S-On, and it boots directly into fastboot. It doesn't go into recovery, even though it did have CWM on it. I can't remember if i'm using a custom kernel, but I THINK it is. I spent a ton of time trying to recover it and sideload a recovery mod with ADB. My laptop wouldn't recognize that the phone was plugged in.

^^That sounds like a foreign language to me!

Here is a picture of what the phone looks like now:

image1-2.jpg

When I plug the phone into my computer, it doesn't seem to recognize it, but the phone does change from FASTBOOT to FASTBOOT USB.

I've dug around a lot here, but can't seem to get it going. I have a Macbook as well, not a PC so that has stopped me from downloading some files here.

Anyone know what is going on? Is it hard bricked? Can my phone be saved?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 36

htconem8bricked

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
So I've been doing more digging. Sounds like I need to get my phone back to S-OFF and Unlocked? I can't seem to get my Macbook to recognize the device, so I'm wondering how I'm even going to be able to get this to work. I've downloaded some files, watched some videos, but most seem to be outdated and many are for PCs.

Still pretty stuck. Any suggestions?

htconem8bricked

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas for this? Really love to know where to even start on this. :(

I spoke with a friend to had this to offer after I gave him the background about what my coworker told me about the phone:

From what you've sent me I can almost guarantee he was running a custom kernel which the phones aren't made to run on. When the phone isn't recognized or executing commands as you mentioned, it is usually inherent of a fried main board where the phone overworks certain components and it simply can't handle it.

Does this sound like a possibility given the screen I'm showing and how it reacts when it changes from FASTBOOT to FASTBOOT USB when I plug it in?

Thanks,

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You should be able to do an RUU (basically reflashing the stock ROM). You will need a windows PC. You can get the files here: ROM Downloads for your HTC smartphone - Support | HTC United States

From there, it simply a matter of installing everything from HTC, plugging in the device, and letting the program do it's thing. It's ok if you can only see this screen.

As far as your friend saying that it's due to a custom kernel...I don't buy that. I was running custom kernels on my M8 from AT&T just fine. It does look like the OS was wiped.

htconem8bricked

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You should be able to do an RUU (basically reflashing the stock ROM). You will need a windows PC. You can get the files here: ROM Downloads for your HTC smartphone - Support | HTC United States

From there, it simply a matter of installing everything from HTC, plugging in the device, and letting the program do it's thing. It's ok if you can only see this screen.

As far as your friend saying that it's due to a custom kernel...I don't buy that. I was running custom kernels on my M8 from AT&T just fine. It does look like the OS was wiped.

Thanks for the advice! What if I can't seem to get my computer to recognize the phone? I tried HTC Sync Manager and it wouldn't find it. Any advice for this?

Also, I was looking at this site and it said I need to be in S-OFF for this to work. I'm in S-ON apparently, so I don't think this will work: http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/return-your-htc-one-100-stock-unroot-update-0160374/

Last edited:

cabojay

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
so... when mine was relocked and s-on... the wrong CID was input. unable to unlock the bootloader & gain s-off and input CID. Any advice.?.

My fastboot screen looks identical to htconem8bricked. (s-off first ?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12