When will the AT&T update come for the HTC One M8 for Marshmallow?

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: When will the AT&T update come for the HTC One M8 for Marshmallow?

I did the update. It seems the phone is a little faster. Not sure what it exactly did, but it did something good for my phone.

Agreed. My phone had become incredibly sluggish of late. Obviously age and use play the biggest part in that, and don't get me wrong it's still not zippy, but the update did make a noticeable difference.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing since the update changed how the phone handles storage allocation, a minor speed increase is a pleasant side effect. Certainly beats the alternative.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I wonder if the fact that ATT is not carrying the HTC 10, that ATT is not updating their devices to Marshmallow.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if the fact that ATT is not carrying the HTC 10, that ATT is not updating their devices to Marshmallow.

According to Mo Versi, the product manager for HTC, it's still in the works. The recent storage allocation update is supposed to be the precursor to the Marshmallow upgrade. AT&T is the bottleneck once again.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts in this threat on why AT&T decided not to carry the HTC 10. I believe AT&T is the only major carrier opting out. It seemed like HTC phones were big sellers, so why the sudden change of heart?

Fathertime

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

AT&T pissed me off that they won't carry the phone. I think they are coming out with their own phone.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I really don't mind that AT&T have made this decision. It's given me the boot in the bum I needed to finally get an unlocked phone. Once I replace my wife's phone with an unlocked one later this year, it's time to go shopping for service from another carrier.

Still, it would be nice if they'd deliver the Marshmallow update before N makes its formal debut.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I really don't mind that AT&T have made this decision. It's given me the boot in the bum I needed to finally get an unlocked phone. Once I replace my wife's phone with an unlocked one later this year, it's time to go shopping for service from another carrier.

Still, it would be nice if they'd deliver the Marshmallow update before N makes its formal debut.

Agreed. One M8 owners have been promised the Marshmallow update repeatedly. I know the current ETA (per Mo Versi of HTC) is by the end of April. That said, it feels increasingly frustrating, and seems an increasingly low priority for AT&T, to push the update. Everyone else has been on it for weeks now at the least. If AT&T doesn't hit the late April target I may reconsider my provider. This is not the first time the Death Star carrier has been dead last to the party.

The idea of owning an unlocked phone is fantastic, but it's a lot of money to shell out upfront. Plus I'm not enamored with any unlocked devices at the moment. Although the HTC 10 is a great phone, I can't honestly say it's better than any other option. The hardest part will be trying to wait for the Note 6 to be revealed, as that's the only thing standing in the way of getting an S7 Edge. My One M8 is definitely starting to go...

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I think we're hitting a period of stagnancy in the mobile phone market. Lots of refinement but not much innovation. Time will tell what the next big thing will be. In the meantime, I'll factory reset my M8 (once the 10 arrives, natch) and let my wife enjoy it for a while. She's beaten enjoyed her poor One X to death.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I think we're hitting a period of stagnancy in the mobile phone market. Lots of refinement but not much innovation. Time will tell what the next big thing will be. In the meantime, I'll factory reset my M8 (once the 10 arrives, natch) and let my wife enjoy it for a while. She's beaten enjoyed her poor One X to death.

I have to agree with you once again. You can see manufacturers experimenting (e.g., G5 modules, curved displays) with new ways to utilize a smartphone. I'm sure the hope is these technologies will eventually become more practical than gimmicky. But right now it's like they're concept cars lacking the complete polish of a production car. It'll be interesting to see, as you noted, which company will produce the next big thing.

You'll have to outline your impressions of the 10 once it arrives. I'm happy to see HTC presumably back on track, but does the 10 really compete with the S7 Edge, iPhone 6S Plus, etc.?

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: when wii att update htc one m8 to marshmallow

Pretty sure HTC wasn't a big seller since the M7 or even OneX. When I got my M8 it was relegated to a single unit in a corner and the S5 had its own display shelf with multiple units. Sadly it seems to be a "Why bother?" for AT&T.

Make it so.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Pretty sure HTC wasn't a big seller since the M7 or even OneX. When I got my M8 it was relegated to a single unit in a corner and the S5 had its own display shelf with multiple units. Sadly it seems to be a "Why bother?" for AT&T.

Make it so.

That could explain why it feels as if AT&T has a sole intern working on the Marshmallow update, and then only on their lunch break every other Tuesday.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

That could explain why it feels as if AT&T has a sole intern working on the Marshmallow update, and then only on their lunch break every other Tuesday.

It DEFINITELY feels like that. To beat the dead horse, we were promised the update by the end of April. There are 13 days left in the month, and I haven't heard a single peep from AT&T or Mo Versi at HTC. If they miss this latest update target I have a big decision to make, as my M8's battery is now losing battery capacity and responsiveness after 18 months. Do I upgrade my phone with AT&T or get angry at them for the lack of support and switch carriers. I'm seriously considering both. Thoughts?

Last edited:

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I posted a question about a tentative rollout date on the @ATTCares (there's a joke) Twitter feed three days ago and it was completely ignored. I'm taking it as another indication from AT&T that my business doesn't matter to them. When it's time for my wife's phone to be replaced, I'll buy another unlocked phone and find a more palatable carrier.

My same question to Mo Versi was ignored as well, but I realise his hands are tied with respect to how AT&T mishandles his company's products.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I posted a question about a tentative rollout date on the @ATTCares (there's a joke) Twitter feed three days ago and it was completely ignored. I'm taking it as another indication from AT&T that my business doesn't matter to them. When it's time for my wife's phone to be replaced, I'll buy another unlocked phone and find a more palatable carrier.

My same question to Mo Versi was ignored as well, but I realise his hands are tied with respect to how AT&T mishandles his company's products.

Agreed...Mo seems to be quite transparent and responsive, so the blame would appear to rest squarely with AT&T. If they come through with the update as promised I'll be happy to stay, but the proof is in the pudding.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I would love to save some money and not upgrade my phone just yet, but this waiting game is killing me. I can imagine the A9 sold terribly and ATT wants nothing to do with HTC anymore. ATT only cares about Samsung and Apple. They will do anything to not anger Samsung and Apple, and the other companies do not matter. I hope the the 10 sells like hot cakes and ATT see they made a big mistake.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

Odd decision by AT&T, but I hope it's not final. The 10 had an option for AT&T the first day, then that went away. HTC's presence in the stores would only help sales, but the staff knows little to nothing about them. Best Buy grossly favors Samsung and has a large area of the store dedicated to them with two salespeople at the counter. Where is the only HTC phone? Hidden behind a floor-standing Samsung sign, of course...

Posted via the Android Central App

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Odd decision by AT&T, but I hope it's not final. The 10 had an option for AT&T the first day, then that went away. HTC's presence in the stores would only help sales, but the staff knows little to nothing about them. Best Buy grossly favors Samsung and has a large area of the store dedicated to them with two salespeople at the counter. Where is the only HTC phone? Hidden behind a floor-standing Samsung sign, of course...

Posted via the Android Central App

Unfortunately it's not an issue of Best Buy "favoring" one company over another. Samsung gets a huge display area because they pay Best Buy a boatload of money for the space. It's no different than how certain brands at grocery stores are on shelves at eye-level or at the end of aisles. With consumer electronics retailers struggling mightily (see: Radio Shack), they have to be creative with finding additional revenue streams. HTC simply doesn't have the cash or marketing muscle to compete with the big guys in this context. It's unfortunate, but hopefully strong sales and strong reviews for the 10 will give HTC the ability to get their product out into the mainstream market more successfully.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I would love to save some money and not upgrade my phone just yet, but this waiting game is killing me. I can imagine the A9 sold terribly and ATT wants nothing to do with HTC anymore. ATT only cares about Samsung and Apple. They will do anything to not anger Samsung and Apple, and the other companies do not matter. I hope the the 10 sells like hot cakes and ATT see they made a big mistake.

I don't think AT&T has intentionally squashed HTC's products. They've been carrying HTC devices for a long, long time. Remember the HTC Fuze? Yup, I owned that one via AT&T! Taking emotion out of this, HTC has released two straight duds in the M9 and iPhone 6S/HTC A9. And though the M8 was generally well-received, I don't believe the phone sold very well. Anecdotally, I know VERY few people who own one besides me. AT&T may just be making a simple business decision to put their money behind the products that sell better.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I don't think AT&T has intentionally squashed HTC's products. They've been carrying HTC devices for a long, long time. Remember the HTC Fuze? Yup, I owned that one via AT&T! Taking emotion out of this, HTC has released two straight duds in the M9 and iPhone 6S/HTC A9. And though the M8 was generally well-received, I don't believe the phone sold very well. Anecdotally, I know VERY few people who own one besides me. AT&T may just be making a simple business decision to put their money behind the products that sell better.

You are right in the fact that I never see anybody with the M8. I have seen more people with a Desire than an M8 or M9. Most of my students only have a Galaxy or an iPhone. When you ask them why they have either of those phones, they reply "It's an iPhone." or "It's a Galaxy. They are better than all other phones." I ask why and they can not tell me a thing that is different than my phone or another students phone. This thought goes for most of the general public too. The M8 was one of the best reviewed phones of the year and nobody knew about it. It is a shame. I really enjoy the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463