When will the AT&T update come for the HTC One M8 for Marshmallow?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: When will the AT&T update come for the HTC One M8 for Marshmallow?

That's because HTC does almost 0 advertising for it. Their sole means of getting people to know about it is through Twitter, techblog reviews and word of mouth on the internet.

When was the last time you saw an HTC Commercial on TV? or HTC billboard.. or HTC radio advertisement, or ANY HTC advertisement at all? THIS is probably the #1 reason why they are in the position they are.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

When was the last time you saw an HTC Commercial on TV? or HTC billboard.. or HTC radio advertisement, or ANY HTC advertisement at all?

Actually, just this morning. Not exactly a media blitz, but they are getting something out there.

If HTC are trying to reposition themselves as a boutique manufacturer, I have no problem with that. I've never been one for following the crowd. Otherwise, I'd have a Samsung or (shudder) an iPhone. I don't think the investors would be too happy with such a move, though.

Last edited:

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Actually, just this morning. Not exactly a media blitz, but they are getting something out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19hRz3yUNU

If HTC are trying to reposition themselves as a boutique manufacturer, I have no problem with that. I've never been one for following the crowd. Otherwise, I'd have a Samsung or (shudder) an iPhone. I don't think the investors would be too happy with such a move, though.

I'm honestly impressed by this ad. HTC does a great job of highlighting features differentiating the 10 from other flagship models. However, I still can't get past the lack of water/dust resistance for a phone at that price. Those are features you never think you'll need...until you do. And the early reviews I've read (Android Central included) feel the camera is MUCH improved but still inferior to the S7 Edge and iPhone 6S Plus. Between the HTC 10, the S7 Edge, and the upcoming Note 6 and (possibly even the) iPhone 7 line I'm having a really hard time making a decision!

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

From what I'm seeing today on Mo Versi's Twitter feed, the latest status is "Getting closer, will advise once we have approval" and "We're working with the carrier, still in the lab." Marshmallow has been in "certification" with AT&T for a few months now. Apparently the update STILL isn't ready for prime time. Just how much new bloatware is AT&T planning on force feeding us this time?

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

From what I'm seeing today on Mo Versi's Twitter feed, the latest status is "Getting closer, will advise once we have approval" and "We're working with the carrier, still in the lab." Marshmallow has been in "certification" with AT&T for a few months now. Apparently the update STILL isn't ready for prime time. Just how much new bloatware is AT&T planning on force feeding us this time?

Yeah, I've also been keeping my eye on Mo's twitter feed. Everything he's said regarding this issue has been very vague and cryptic. I'm sure that's intentional due to AT&T's lack of interest in making this any level of priority. Nine days until the end of the month...let's hope the Death Star pulls through.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I haven't lost hope, but I'll be damned if I ever buy another carrier-locked phone.

This is probably the ONLY advantage to having an iPhone...universal OS updates. I'm not sure the phones I want are available as carrier-unlocked versions, but as an M8 owner AT&T is definitely not making me feel valued. Zero communication or transparency, and dead last to receive the update...if it ever comes. I hate being one of those "give me my update!!!" fan boys, but I'm growing increasingly frustrated by the day. And that is solely because literally everyone got their update weeks (or more) ago. There is no excuse for ours to take this long...seriously.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I think the G3 just got the update...which I think is older the the m8 :(

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Age before beauty, then? One can only hope. :D

+1 to that. Considering AT&T chose not to carry the HTC 10, it wouldn't shock me to know they're not making any HTC devices a priority at this point. They clearly don't care about retaining HTC's customer base, or they just expect them to jump to another company's device.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Of all the major carriers, it looks as if AT&T dragged their feet with nearly every Marshmallow upgrade. Considering their track record with security updates (inexcusably negligent is being kind), I suppose it's a miracle they're working on an OS upgrade at all.

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: when wii att update htc one m8 to marshmallow

Still waiting for the update.. this might be a dumb question, but when I check for a software update I can only check every 24 hours. If I get the unlocked HTC 10, will I be able to check for updates as much as I want without a 24 hour waiting period?

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: when wii att update htc one m8 to marshmallow

Still waiting for the update.. this might be a dumb question, but when I check for a software update I can only check every 24 hours. If I get the unlocked HTC 10, will I be able to check for updates as much as I want without a 24 hour waiting period?

Posted via the Android Central App

The unlocked version will be communicating directly with the HTC mothership, so it won't be subject to the rigid restrictions AT&T loves to slap on everything.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

In response to the question that started this topic; how about bloody never? :mad:

Here it is, the news we were all expecting dreading:

Last edited:

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

In response to the question that started this topic; how about bloody never? :mad:

Here it is, the news we were all expecting dreading:

Wow...can't say I'm shocked. That said, this is not the first time we've heard this same line with regard to the update. Originally it was end of 2015, then it was early 2016, then it was end of April, and now it's at least mid-May. I don't want to be cynical and will choose to believe both companies are making sure it's a bug-free download. Unfortunately after several months it's getting tougher to keep that mindset.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I have to hand it to HTC for letting us know, yet again, that AT&T can't deliver the goods. It could be much worse. We could own Motorola phones. :D

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

How can there be so many bugs on AT&T but not on all of the other carriers?

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

AT&T have been dead last of all the major carriers to get Marshmallow on the phones they promised. Taking today's snafu into account, I'd say the problem is an unhealthy mix of bad code (in their useless apps) and sloppy QA.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

AT&T have been dead last of all the major carriers to get Marshmallow on the phones they promised. Taking today's snafu into account, I'd say the problem is an unhealthy mix of bad code (in their useless apps) and sloppy QA.

I'd add to that a lack of commitment to HTC devices from AT&T as evidenced by their refusal to carry the 10. Why would they prioritize a nearly 2 year old device from a manufacturer they no longer support?